Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss wants me to quit-WWYD?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:13 pm
My boss is trying to get me to quit. She doesn’t want to fire me because of all the unpleasantness, and I think for paying unemployment. If I quit on my own I save her a lot of headaches. I have a feeling if I stay she is going to make life increasingly more difficult for me. On the other hand, I’m entitled to my rights and what she’s doing is really manipulative. What would you do?

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
My boss is trying to get me to quit. She doesn’t want to fire me because of all the unpleasantness, and I think for paying unemployment. If I quit on my own I save her a lot of headaches. I have a feeling if I stay she is going to make life increasingly more difficult for me. On the other hand, I’m entitled to my rights and what she’s doing is really manipulative. What would you do?

Why does she want you to quit?

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:14 pm
Hold out and wait for her to fire you. That way you’ll qualify for unemployment.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:14 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Why does she want you to quit?

Legally It's easier on the employer, if an employee quit rather then them being fired.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:15 pm
Don't leave unless u gave another job lined up. You won't get unemployment if u leave voluntarily.

bebrave

Wait till she fires you obviously. Why are you trying to be nice to your boss?
Hope you find a better job afterwards! And I'd look for another job in the mean time and have things lined up for when you need them

amother
Raspberry

I would probably wait for her to fire me.

What do you mean by making life hard for you? If she's adding work that is not part of your job description, please decline.

Genius

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Legally It's easier on the employer, if an employee quit rather then them being fired.

The question is why she doesn’t want her to be employed anymore?
Can she not afford you op or are you a bad worker or some other reason?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:17 pm
The reasons I’m hesitant to just hold out is

1. She’s going to make work more and more unpleasant for me in hopes of making me quit
2. If I quit and we’re on good terms she can be a good reference for me. I don’t have so many other people to be references.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:19 pm
Genius wrote:
The question is why she doesn’t want her to be employed anymore?
Can she not afford you op or are you a bad worker or some other reason?

Can’t afford me. The company is not doing well. Not because of me, I’m a good worker. But she would rather promote someone lower down and pay them less.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
The reasons I’m hesitant to just hold out is

1. She’s going to make work more and more unpleasant for me in hopes of making me quit
2. If I quit and we’re on good terms she can be a good reference for me. I don’t have so many other people to be references.

Why does she want you out? Is the business downsizing, she is not happy with your work, has someone else lined up for the position, etc?

amother
Raspberry

amother OP wrote:
Can’t afford me. The company is not doing well. Not because of me, I’m a good worker. But she would rather promote someone lower down and pay them less.

If you are a good worker and she's trying to save herself money, please do not back down so quickly! It's totally wrong what she is doing.

Would she really not give you a good reference?

amother
Kiwi

amother OP wrote:
Are you looking for a new job?

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:21 pm
I would personally look for something else and leave

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

Ouch. How quickly do you think you can find a new job?

Would it be possible to let her know that you are actively looking for a new job and will leave once you find one. Maybe this way she won't make your life miserable in the interim?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:23 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
If you are a good worker and she's trying to save herself money, please do not back down so quickly! It's totally wrong what she is doing.

Would she really not give you a good reference?

Right now we’re on good terms. The issue is really just money. But if I hold out and be starts giving me extra work and I don’t do it, or being more critical and hounding me about every tiny little thing…then we probably won’t be on good terms anymore by the time she finally fires me. And I don’t know if she’ll be a good reference. I have seen this happen to other people in the past (different company)

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:26 pm
If the business is not doing well I would be looking for another job regardless if my boss wants to let me go or not.
I wouldn’t feel secure with the job at all.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right now we’re on good terms. The issue is really just money. But if I hold out and be starts giving me extra work and I don’t do it, or being more critical and hounding me about every tiny little thing…then we probably won’t be on good terms anymore by the time she finally fires me. And I don’t know if she’ll be a good reference. I have seen this happen to other people in the past (different company)

I think you have to be open and honest with her.
Explain that you are aware that there are financial issues for her and that you know she can't hang on to you for much longer... I think it would open up the conversation. You have rights here, I think it's better to discuss it with her.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:27 pm
I’m definitely going to look for a new job meanwhile because one way or another I know I soon won’t have this one. I did let her know when she “let me know” that they’re downsizing and she doesn’t know what’s going to be with my job…they “want a smaller department” translation they want to promote the person under me instead. Less experienced so cheaper.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m definitely going to look for a new job meanwhile because one way or another I know I soon won’t have this one. I did let her know when she “let me know” that they’re downsizing and she doesn’t know what’s going to be with my job…they “want a smaller department” translation they want to promote the person under me instead. Less experienced so cheaper.

If they already told you this, I would ask them for notice of when they are letting you go...

Force her to be upfront with you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics