Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss wants me to quit-WWYD?
Previous  1  2

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m definitely going to look for a new job meanwhile because one way or another I know I soon won’t have this one. I did let her know when she “let me know” that they’re downsizing and she doesn’t know what’s going to be with my job…they “want a smaller department” translation they want to promote the person under me instead. Less experienced so cheaper.

So sorry OP. It's a tough position to be in. You work hard and build yourself up, only to be dealt with the short stick at the end of it. I hope your job search is very successful and you end up with a better job.

bebrave

amother OP wrote:
Right now we’re on good terms. The issue is really just money. But if I hold out and be starts giving me extra work and I don’t do it, or being more critical and hounding me about every tiny little thing…then we probably won’t be on good terms anymore by the time she finally fires me. And I don’t know if she’ll be a good reference. I have seen this happen to other people in the past (different company)

How mean of her. Can you not have any friends or family as reference? And you can be honest with your future potential jobs and say the truth about what happened with previous boss etc? Will they not understand?

amother
OP

Also complicating this is I’m currently on maternity leave (I’m only 4 weeks post partum, it’s not like I took extended leave) so legally I think she can’t fire me.

I left this out of the original post because I didn’t want people to recognize me-I already talked to all my friends about this

bebrave

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also complicating this is I’m currently on maternity leave (I’m only 4 weeks post partum, it’s not like I took extended leave) so legally I think she can’t fire me.

Ok so question is how much aggravation do you save yourself by leaving? Is the compensation actually worth it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:37 pm
bebrave wrote:
Ok so question is how much aggravation do you save yourself by leaving? Is the compensation actually worth it?

I don’t know. This is really the crux of my dilemma.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

I left this out of the original post because I didn’t want people to recognize me-I already talked to all my friends about this

If your in ny/NJ you have 14 weeks left to took for a new job...

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

If they are downsizing they legally don't have to take you back.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:32 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:

Really? I thought this is what these laws are supposed to protect me from. While I was gone a person under me took over my responsibilities and they clearly thought she did a good enough job, they don’t need me.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:55 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:

If they're downsizing, you're entitled to unemployment.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:06 am
Hold out and collect your maternity leave until they fire you, then collect unemployment. Obviously start looking for a job.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Really? I thought this is what these laws are supposed to protect me from. While I was gone a person under me took over my responsibilities and they clearly thought she did a good enough job, they don’t need me.

Replacing you with someone else isn’t downsizing, so no they aren’t legally allowed to fire you because someone else can do your job

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:17 am
This is called "silent firing."

Start looking for a new job. If you find one before they fire you, you have your solution.

Also, start documenting things at work if you think things will get difficult. And when and if your boss starts making things unpleasant for you, just keep focusing on finding a new job. Don't let it get to you.

BTW, are there laws where you live against firing someone right after maternity leave?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:50 pm
Why don't you ask your boss to officially fire you?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics