Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
People Staring
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:31 pm
I wonder the same thing all the time!! My kids, ka'h, do not stay in the stroller as babies for more than 5 min. without screaming!!

What do other mothers do with their babies if they scream in the stroller, and you don't wear your baby?

mimivan

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:42 pm
okay OP,
Start a trend! It sounds like in BP, this a trend that desperately needs to be started..

(I also am a baby wearer, and I got a lot of comments from old ladies. Here in Israel, they don't stare, they speak up...but I told them my doctor said it was okay...as in Dr. Sears. Wink )

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:46 pm
I'm just curious...what objections do people have to the baby carriers...aside from "its not done".
has anyone ever bothered asking them why do they care? has there been any logical response?

sounds Confused to me.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 12:14 am
Quote:
Anyway, I doubt people stared at you the way you make it seem. You must've been really self-conscious maybe. I don't think people in Boro Park are so into one another to care if you have a baby carrier or not.

Wanna bet? When my youngest was a baby and I wore him in a sling, I got all kinds of reactions. Some people ignored. Some pretended to ignore while giving sidelong glances. Some commented in a positive way ("precious bundle" style). Some complemented, ("Wow, what an interesting idea! it must be so comfortable for the baby." "I wish I had this for my baby- I never saw it before." "Where did you get this?")
Others stared so hard that they were walking with their heads turned back and stumbling with every step.
It is for sure something that is NOT ignored.
I have seen it in BP a handful of times. On frum mothers, probably 3 or 4 times in my life.

I plan on wearing ALL my babies, so if you see a Boro Parker with a hotslings pouch, come over and say hi!

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:36 am
In CH it's so normal. I have never used a sling or carrier, but I don't look twice when I see them.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:52 am
Quote:
what objections do people have to the baby carriers

Once while carrying my 2nd in the sling, someone actually said..."Is he breathing? Babies have died in those things" Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
I was so disgusted that a frum person could say such a thing...without knowing me, knowing anything...out of complete ignorance. I just gave her this look and said C"V!!!!

As I'm sure people wonder...yes they can breath. Like anything, you make sure their nose is not pushed into the fabric, but YES THEY ARE SAFE. Slings have been used since the beginning...Our Immahos didn't have strollers for their babies.

Quote:
what objections do people have to the baby carriers

ummm.....yea...they were STARING....as someone mentioned earlier....tripping over themselves staring, probably didn't realize they were still staring.

Like I said, I'm very used to the stares, comments, etc....just found it interesting and wanted to see the reaction on the site.

Maybe our babies will "bump" into each other Gamzu and Mimivan Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:54 am
sorry, my 2nd quote should have been

Quote:
Anyway, I doubt people stared at you the way you make it seem. You must've been really self-conscious maybe. I don't think people in Boro Park are so into one another to care if you have a baby carrier or not.

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 1:14 pm
u must be kidding.
OF COURSE PEOPLE STARED AT HER.
you are fooling yourself to think otherwise.....
I mean yeah I like b.p., its cool, but ppl totally do stare when things are not what they are used to seeing. and baby carriers are not seen in b.p. all that much. really, I didnt keep my baby in a carrier in boro park for that reason... Confused
oh well, boro park is ok anyhow I guess....flatbush is ok too... though you would probably get the same reaction there....thats brooklyn 4 u! Confused from what I've seen anyhow... Confused
you know, its really just that many of the ppl in BP/Flatbush are similar types and styles....so if your a lil different, u can feel kinda weird...

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 3:44 pm
I stare at people who stare at me.

CAYA

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 3:50 pm
I used a baby carrier in switzerland and got stares too......

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 4:08 pm
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's a babywearing advocate!

Never been to BP, so I can't comment on that.

However, I can tell you the reactions elsewhere to my Baby Trekker:

Toronto: Not much reaction to the carrier itself - although there is a nod of recognition from others with the same type. (It's not mass-marketed like a Bjorn, so it's more of an item used by Canadian mommies "in the know". If I see a sling, Trekker or something similar, it catches my attention for that reason.) I did get some looks when I wore dd in the Trekker with my coat zipped over, because all you could see was this little head popping out. People would also notice that I had a cute baby.

New Zealand and Australia: I don't know why, with all the marsupials around, more people there don't baby wear. I wore dd#2 all the time during a 6 week trip there, and got TONS of reactions. Most people were curious, b/c they hadn't seen it before. Japanese tourists, for some reason, were totally fascinated and practically fell over themselves. One guy thought that we were torturing our baby. Others (esp. in shul) wondered in she could breathe, or if this was some sort of special needs device. Personally, I didn't mind the attention or questions, and just laughed and explained. Some people were also curious b/c dd#2 wasn't crying at all - I explained that's a benefit of the carriers!

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 4:14 pm
I get the same stares when I use my carrier and carriage. what can I say? I just have a cute baby!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 4:20 pm
I get stares with my baby too lol

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 4:24 pm
"New Zealand and Australia: I don't know why, with all the marsupials around, more people there don't baby wear."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Chaya4

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 5:26 pm
what d o you all do about wearing your baby in the summer? I have a moby wrap and its so hot!

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 5:39 pm
Chaya4 wrote:
what d o you all do about wearing your baby in the summer? I have a moby wrap and its so hot!

I know. I couldn't do the baby bjorn in the summer. I was able with my others b/c we were in NY, but FL summers are killer. I used a stroller outdoors and tranferred to the carrier when we went anywhere indoors.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 7:29 pm
GR wrote:

oh so that was you? LOL JK

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 7:30 pm
Quote:
what d o you all do about wearing your baby in the summer?

If I have to (b/c baby is crying or the store I'm in is too small for a double stroller) I wear the baby....and I'm hot.

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:34 pm
EstiS wrote:
GR wrote:

oh so that was you? LOL JK

LOL LOL, Esti.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:41 pm
I saw a young lady the other day with two kids in a heavy looking double carriage, and wearing a baby pack. the baby was facing forward so it couldn't have been that young either.

she looked pretty thin. guess that's quite a workout.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics