Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
People Staring
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Tefila

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:29 pm
It could be, the reason we are not used to seeing those carriers is for nine months and by alot of frum women it is every year or so, we are carrying around a pregnancy. so when we finally give birth people perhaps find it hard to look like they are pregnant again.

Though if and when Hashem gives me the opportunity again providing it's one child at a time Tongue Out I would seriously consider those sling/carriers hint hint. Twisted Evil

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:55 am
GR wrote:
EstiS wrote:
GR wrote:
I stare at people who stare at me.

oh so that was you? LOL JK

LOL LOL, Esti.

Now that we're on the subject, I can't tolerate it when people stare! What do you ladies do...I tried staring back...they just stare harder. So if it is a women who is staring, I just say "Shalom!!!" or in the U.S. "Hello" sincerely...IT REALLY WORKS LOL !! These stern people usually manage to crack a smile. Or if they are really hardened, they shake their heads, but stop staring.

However, with men it is more difficult. I caught some guy on the street staring at me. I was so desperate for him to stop (the male gaze always bugged me, even when I was secular) that I put my hands in front of my head for a moment (portable mechitza). He go the idea and looked away...

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 6:07 am
It seems in Israel EVERYONE is wearing those baby carriers. I have seen husbands too. It is a natural thing to see here in israel.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 6:35 am
Tefila wrote:
It could be, the reason we are not used to seeing those carriers is for nine months and by alot of frum women it is every year or so, we are carrying around a pregnancy. so when we finally give birth people perhaps find it hard to look like they are pregnant again.

Though if and when Hashem gives me the opportunity again providing it's one child at a time Tongue Out I would seriously consider those sling/carriers hint hint. Twisted Evil

Good point, Tefila. I once tried out a sling when I had a 3 m.o and a 18 m.o. It felt like I was 12 months preg and I couldn't stand it!

And we've not touched upon the subject of peoples reactions to seeing identical twins Very Happy Very Happy shock shock LOL LOL

Helani

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 7:17 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I saw a young lady the other day with two kids in a heavy looking double carriage, and wearing a baby pack. the baby was facing forward so it couldn't have been that young either.

she looked pretty thin. guess that's quite a workout.

Couldn't have been me, since my baby is still facing towards my chest. Wink Actually, if I want my middle one to take a nap (he usually doesn't nap-but sometimes falls asleep in the stroller or the car) I take my double. One time we were picking my four year old from pre-school, the baby didn't want to be in the carriage and my older ones were exhausted. So I ended up with a Baby Bjorn and two kids in the double. I don't do that on regular basis though.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 8:16 am
Quote:
Slings have been used since the beginning...Our Immahos didn't have strollers for their babies.

Erm.. now they didn't have carriers back then either..

Seraph

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:14 am
Purple Rox! wrote:
Quote:
Slings have been used since the beginning...Our Immahos didn't have strollers for their babies.

But they had slings...

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:37 am
Purple Rox! wrote:
Quote:

Uh, of course they did!

Not too sophisticated, is it?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:46 am
they had servants or slaves, too.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:21 am
gold21 wrote:
ppl totally do stare when things are not what they are used to seeing. .

You're not kidding. Doesn't anyone teach these people how rude it is to stare?

I'd like to know what's so fascinating about a woman paddling her own canoe, and why charedi men think it's OK to stare at her.

Every summer when I go boating in the lakes near the frum communities in Upstate NY, there is guaranteed to be a charedi family or two standing on the shore staring at me like I'm from the moon. They never saw a woman row a boat before?

That's bad enough, but then when I come in for a landing and I have to climb out of the boat, they're still staring at me. How would you like to heave yourself up onto a dock--in a skirt--with a bunch of Chassidish men staring at you? You'd think they might, just maybe, possibly, consider that in climbing out of a boat my skirt might ride up a little bit and that maybe they might have a care for my modesty and walk away? but NOOOO. They're gonna watch the show. So there I am sitting in my boat at the dock, waiting--waiting--waiting, for my "audience" to realize I am not an animal in a zoo on display for their entertainment but a frum woman who would like to be able to get out of a rowboat in some privacy.

And if the men are too stupid to think that climbing out of a boat in a skirt is not something I really want to do while they look on--why don't their WIVES realize?

Silly me--because I'm obviously a 'shiksa'. And shiksas, not being quite human, don't have to be treated with courtesy or respect. Exploding anger

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:31 am
chassidishe men (or any frum men) should not be staring at shiksas either! so the problem is clearly with them - not with you! (who is obviously not a shiksa!)

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:52 am
I was in the park kicking a ball around with my 3 year old son and these yeshivah bochurim were sitting on a bench staring at me...I thought...this is something my son really enjoys doing, so I am not giong to stop doing it, even though if I would just shout "BITTUL TORAH" They'd scram...

I asked my mashpia if there was something not tznius about playing ball with my son, and she said it was totally their problem...

su7kids

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 11:22 am
JRKmommy wrote:
Japanese tourists, for some reason, were totally fascinated and practically fell over themselves. !

That reminds me, when I wore my now 27 year old in Israel, firstly we had people discussing how we were strengthening his legs (they were dangling) for the Israeli army and how the kids today had to be stronger. BUt I remember a Japanese group came and had some parade or something in Jerusalem, I have no clue what it was, but there were tons of them, all with their cameras, and they wanted to take pictures of my son in the carrier!!! They were making so many happy faces (unfortunately, I couldn't understand what they were saying) it was really funny to watch!!

su7kids

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 11:24 am
supermom wrote:
It seems in Israel EVERYONE is wearing those baby carriers. I have seen husbands too. It is a natural thing to see here in israel.

Its certainly easier on the busses, than taking a stroller AND your shopping!

chen

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:05 pm
mimivan wrote:
if I would just shout "BITTUL TORAH" They'd scram...

Rolling Laughter

whoooeee! can you just picture the scene?

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 2:15 pm
Reminds me of my friend who was sitting with her date on a bench outside the girls' dormitory of her college...when she noticed a pair of eyes peeking out from between the blinds on one of the lower floors...she gave a wave and that was the end of their audience!

(Of course, she only noticed the eyes because she had previously had a room on a low floor and used to do the same thing herself!....)

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 3:40 pm
I was once shopping with my newborn and 2 year old. The toddler wanted to walk, the newborn wanted to be worn, so the double stroller was empty. I put my shopping in the seats and closed up the hoods to secure the bags from falling.
The stares I got! Imagine, a newborn in the sling, a 2 y.o. holding one hand, and pushing a DOUBLE stroller with the other hand.
One of my bags fell down and a frum lady ran over to help. Never mind that I had picked the bag up before she even reached me, but she put-putted around me, saying, "I saw you and I though, oh, poor mother, shlepping herself like that!"
Uhhh... shock Confused
So now I'm a pity case?

CAYA

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 3:45 pm
(Of course, she only noticed the eyes because she had previously had a room on a low floor and used to do the same thing herself!....)[/quote]

Rolling Laughter LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 3:52 pm
I remember when dh and I were dating in Tzfat, we kept moving from place to place so often to avoid people's gazes that I felt like we were on the lam! Rolling Laughter

How "romantic" eh? LOL

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 12:01 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Purple Rox! wrote:
Quote:

Uh, of course they did!

Not too sophisticated, is it?

yep. the top one is like mine (same brand, Didymos, although mine's a different design). It's just a long piece of cloth that you use to tie the baby to you. Very comfy. All over the world women use carriers (either a long wrap, or a piece with straps like a mei tai) to carry their babies.

I don't think I've ever had any funny looks, even though my Didy would be the most likely to (people are used to seeing bjorns and other types of structured carriers, a wrap looks more 'ethnic') but I've never worn it somewhere like BP Smile The only comments I've ever had were positive ones--people tell me my daughter looks so comfy and happy. And it's lots easier to manage than her buggy--now that I've got the hang of wrapping I only use the stroller when I'm out for a really long time, or if I need it for packages Smile
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics