Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
If he says no one more time....

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:12 pm
My almost 4 yr old ds has been exerting his independence in terms of defying all parental commands with a clear outright "no, I don't want to listen to what you said" or no I won't do it. I'm in a store and he loudly announces "I am not going to listen to you" when I asked him to put something back.
My firm tone and matter of fact requests or commands mean nothing.
He simply has decided to exert control over himself.
I know its a stage but I'm really getting fed up with him especially because my toddler has learned from him to tell me no too!

I do not know how to make him realize the need to submit to authority and am really losing my patience and don't know how to get him to listen.

He is the same way with my husband.
He just turned into a teenager overnight and I'm not equipped for this.
Been going on a bit over a week now.

Help.

sotired3

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 9:04 pm
I find if and then statements work with my 4 year old. If I have to wait for you to put it back, then we won't have time to read a story before supper. It then becomes a decision for him. Would he rather stand in the store for another few minutes, or would he rather do something fun later.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:50 am
Try to avoid direct requests or demands.
Giving two choices is good, "do you want...", make the objective into a game, talk about the objective.
Basically find creative alternative ways to get your massage across without involving power.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 8:14 am
1,2,3, magic works wonders. "If that is not back on the shelf by the time I count to three, then you will lose your chance to..."

But the trick is to use real threats that you can and will carry out if you get to three. Nothing too big or major, because then you will not want to carry through. Immediate consequences work best.

Always state the consequence before you start counting. After a few times, he will learn that you mean business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers