Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Double stroller recommendations
1  2  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:40 pm
I am having a baby in a few months and my baby before that will be about 16 months old. I already have A few kids. By my first 2, also close together, I originally bought a citi elite, but hated how big and clunky it was. Sold it and bought the uppa baby vista with the rumbleseat. I loved it while it lasted, I even used it with a kiddy board. Was nareow like a regular carriage, pushed well (much better than the citi select that I tried some time after I bought my uppa baby), had a huge basket... But I found the quality to be awful, it is falling apart, the frame is wobbly at connection points and I am afraid to use it anymore. I haven't needed a double in a while because I only had 1 kid needing a carriage at a time, so I used my first single stroller for the past few years, sometimes with a kiddy board sometimes without.
But now I need a double as I will be home with 2 kids. Any recommendations? I don't want to do uppa baby again, it didn't last long, was very expensive so I expected many more years out of it, and I found their customer service to be awful, they wantes to charge me a fortune for any parts I needed replaced, so I gave up. The mountain buggy duet wasn't around when I had my doubles, tho now I see it all over and see it isn't as klunky as the older doubles. But is it really very good?
It will need to be able to go up and down a short flight of steps (and won't break from being pulled up steps all the time), push very smoothly, have at least some basket space. Not sure what else I am looking for in a carriage.
I don't mind spending a bit more for a good carriage, its like my car, I go all over with it, don't drive.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:40 pm
Oops! Sorry for such a long post. I didn't realize how long it was till after I submitted

SYA

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 8:18 pm
I have the valco baby ultra snap duo. Check it out on their website. Pushes great, lightweight, folds easily, basket underneath, optional bassinet and car seat adapter purchased separately.

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 8:47 pm
I love my mountain buggy duet. I have it for a while and just love it. It's lightweight and very easy to push. Not great on steps. I don't think any double will be. It's a "double" carriage. I like the fact that I was able to have one regular seat and one bassinet at once. Fold nicely and nice sz basket. I have the single duet also and that convinced me into the double. I like how you phrased it "it's like my car"; likewise.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:42 am
tweety1 wrote:
I love my mountain buggy duet. I have it for a while and just love it. It's lightweight and very easy to push. Not great on steps. I don't think any double will be. It's a "double" carriage. I like the fact that I was able to have one regular seat and one bassinet at once. Fold nicely and nice sz basket. I have the single duet also and that convinced me into the double. I like how you phrased it "it's like my car"; likewise.

Yup! I don't drive, so this is my mode of transportation. Its gotta ve a good one!
I don't mind if its not that great on steps but I do need it to hold up to bring bounced up and down a half flight of steps regularly, or even a whole flight. I can't have the handle break because of that. I have heard of carriages that that happened to.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:01 am
I have mountain buggies, I love how sturdy they are. I have the Swift and Duo- the ooooold double. They don't come with inflatable tires anymore, you have buy those separately. The swift has newborn settings for the seatbelt which is really nice. I use the regular seat with an insert for my newborns.
The seats of the Duet look shallow, so if your kid is on the larger side, test ride it first, check legroom.

Roots

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:58 pm
my baby was 1.7 when I gave birth. we got a city mini double and were very happy with it. it has good basket space, very smooth ride and fits through most doorways (its pretty narrow).
the price is also very affordable I got mine (Baby Jogger City Mini Double 2011) for $300 on albeebaby.com. I checked now and it was discontinued Sad but if you look around online (ebay etc) im sure you can find a great deal
good luck

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:17 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I have mountain buggies, I love how sturdy they are. I have the Swift and Duo- the ooooold double. They don't come with inflatable tires anymore, you have buy those separately. The swift has newborn settings for the seatbelt which is really nice. I use the regular seat with an insert for my newborns.
The seats of the Duet look shallow, so if your kid is on the larger side, test ride it first, check legroom.

They sure do come with inflatable tires. I got mine 6 weeks ago.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:

Guess I was misinformed. But check it out anyway, it may depend on the supplier.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:

Did you get air tires or large foam tires. I thought they do foam tires now so you don't need to inflate them, a drop less smooth push but more convenience, I guess

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:21 pm
Roots wrote:
my baby was 1.7 when I gave birth. we got a city mini double and were very happy with it. it has good basket space, very smooth ride and fits through most doorways (its pretty narrow).
the price is also very affordable I got mine (Baby Jogger City Mini Double 2011) for $300 on albeebaby.com. I checked now and it was discontinued Sad but if you look around online (ebay etc) im sure you can find a great deal
good luck

I hate the city mini single, have occasionally used it when I borrowed from family members for one reason or another. I would be wary of getting the double citi mini because of that.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:46 pm
I think that if you're looking for sturdiness and ease of use, you may have to compromise on the size issue. I use my stroller daily, have used singles and doubles. the best in terms of sturdiness, smooth ride, ease for mom, comfort for kids, etc were joggers. I really loved my instep double, which lasted me a good few years. it would have lasted longer had I not stored it outside and routinely pushed four kids in it. fact is, it was still usable when I got rid of it, but the seat backs were warped (due to the two extra kids sitting on them), and the fabric was faded from constant sun exposure and weekly washings (in the machine, due to other outside ickyness). I currently use the instep safari single, and I have used it pretty much daily for over three years. it is a heavy stroller, but it handles stairs better than any of the lighter strollers I've tried. I don't drive, and I often walk for a couple of hours. it still looks pretty new.

I've used the city mini double, and I really hated it. it felt rickety, I would never try to bump it up stairs with kids inside. I would suggest a tandem with inflatable wheels, but tandems are really difficult on stairs. I wouldn't feel safe bumping one up or down with kids inside.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 3:23 am
amother wrote:
I hate the city mini single, have occasionally used it when I borrowed from family members for one reason or another. I would be wary of getting the double citi mini because of that.

I know someone who has a city mini single and a City Mini GT double. She said the difference in the GT and regular is amazing.
City mini wheels are not great, the GT wheels are much better.

mary6

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 3:46 am
I had mountain buggy duet and loved it. My kids are very big and used it till my older one was 4. Best part about it was I could put it in and out of the car easily.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:05 am
Does anyone like the bugaboo double?

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:25 am
I have the bugaboo donkey in single mode and love it. It's sturdy, has a great push, durable, and comes with a 3 year warranty

youngishbear

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:38 am
I'm in love with my bugaboo double stroller. I can easily switch between single and double when my toddler is home from daycare. It wheels great, has a huge basket, extendable canopies (the newer versions), and it looks nice.

I loved that toddler and baby don't need to see each other in the newborn stage... and that they're each in separate seats with belly bars, and not spilling into each other like the mountain buggy duet.

maidale

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 7:34 pm
Another vote for the donkey. I absolutely live mine. It pushes amazing and I routinely bump it up and down a few stairs. Sometimes when I use it in single mode and my toddler gets cranky she sits in the side basket although I don't do it often. I bought it second hand and it was the best investment. I've already owned several doubles and this one outshines them by far!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 7:48 pm
maidale wrote:
Another vote for the donkey. I absolutely live mine. It pushes amazing and I routinely bump it up and down a few stairs. Sometimes when I use it in single mode and my toddler gets cranky she sits in the side basket although I don't do it often. I bought it second hand and it was the best investment. I've already owned several doubles and this one outshines them by far!

What did you have before this? Just wondering what you are comparing this to.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 10:46 pm
I like the look of the bugaboo donkey, but my friend who had it said its very heavy and hard to get through doors/around stores with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics