Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Advice regarding antibiotics and strept - too late?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:12 pm
Before I begin...

Yes, I know I am negligent.

Yes, I know I am single-handedly responsible for the proliferation of antibiotic-resistent bacteria.

Yes, I have adhd.

So there.

Here's what happened: my baby/toddler was rundown cranky feverish etc. There was strept in the family. Culture came back positive after 48 hours. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for ten days. The medicine is dated August 27.

Then my parents married off and everything flew out the window. Baby seemed better so medicine was not on top of my mind. Between appointments and babysitters, the bottle is almost full. It's in my fridge and baby is fevering again.

Do I
A - beat myself up
B - go to the doctor again (won't happen before late tomorrow afternoon)
C - assume the strept is back and just finish the bottle of medicine
D - wait it out another day or two, keeping track of fever and other symptoms

abs

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:15 pm
If you call the dr.'s emergency # and explain that you were negligent with giving baby meds, now it expired and baby has fever again, maybe they'll prescribe a new antibiotic over the phone and you can pick it up tonight at a 24 hour pharmacy?

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:16 pm
How many doses did the baby get?

Do call your doctor as the baby might need to go on a different antibiotic and you most likely don't have enough medicine. It is also likely that the baby has something else then strep so do make an appointment.

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:41 pm
Just had the same experience with dd. I did a,b, and c

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:43 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
How many doses did the baby get?

Do call your doctor as the baby might need to go on a different antibiotic and you most likely don't have enough medicine. It is also likely that the baby has something else then strep so do make an appointment.

I wish I knew. Not more than a third of the bottle.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:45 pm
abs wrote:
If you call the dr.'s emergency # and explain that you were negligent with giving baby meds, now it expired and baby has fever again, maybe they'll prescribe a new antibiotic over the phone and you can pick it up tonight at a 24 hour pharmacy?

It's not so easy to reach him. Is it so much of an emergency? I guess I can try.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:30 pm
I don't know about emergency... If it's after hours and too late for urgent care too I'd give ibuprofen for the fever and go back to the dr first thing in the morning. (Urgent care is until midnight here at least, so if it's too late for urgent care that means the office opens in 8-9 hours anyway.)

abs

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:32 pm
it's not actually an emergency, but if he's a doctor, he has to have an after-hours number to reach him at. Why should the baby suffer for another day if you can do something about it NOW?

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:43 pm
The medicine hasn't expired. Did you stop it recently because August 27 was just a week ago.

Under the circumstances, I would give the baby the antibiotic again and try to reach the doctor by phone.

Yes giving antibiotics for a virus is useless but in this case it won't hurt and it might help because antibiotics start giving relief from bacterial infections quickly.

In the future you will be more careful about making sure you don't stop antibiotics before you should because you can have a relapse with resistant bacteria.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics