Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO healthy but yummy desserts

polenta girl

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:42 am
Looking for some ideas of what healthy but yummy baked goods I can serve to women at a meeting...no one touches the region cake and cookies anymore and there is only so much fruit I can serve

Thanks in advance

Laiya

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:54 am
I've been making these for a while--I'm totally obsessed with them. They do have honey, so they're not strictly dietetic, but they have raw oatmeal and peanut butter (and honey is not as bad as sugar).

(I reduce the amount of honey a bit, but you can play around with it. I also add chocolate chips on top while they're still warm, then smear it around for a nice chocolate topping).
http://thejoyofeverydaycooking.....bars/

There's also the tofu chocolate mousse pie, but again, it does have sugar.

spring13

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 9:15 am
Muffins. They are the answer to most of life's problems. Get a mini muffin pan and make 2 or 3 varieties, so people can have a little of each or just a little period.

SorGold

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:06 am
I do not know the level of "class" of the meeting but would nuts and dried fruit work?

polenta girl

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:11 am
Thanks...I can try the oatmeal bars...maybe I'll add some nuts and craisins...

sky

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:34 pm
What about if it isn't dessert:

- vegetable sticks (carrots, pepper, celery) in small cups with some dip on the bottom

do it yourself "bars":
- Salad bar - lettuce, cut veggies, lots of toppings and salad dressings
- Soup Bar - 2 -3 soups and toppings (cheese, croutons, )
- Greek Yogurt Bar - Greek Yogurt and and an assortment of toppings
- Waffles with toppings (that may already be in the more unhealthy territory).

ez-pass

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:48 pm
I make the Carob nut brownies in purple cookbook without the nuts...they r heaven!

Apple crisp or pies

Smoothies with frozen fruit and juice?

cbg

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:59 pm
These brownies are no bake raw vegan and very yummy, high nutrition

3 cups raw walnut pieces
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup pitted dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes to soften
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a food processor, blend walnuts and cocoa powder until nuts are finely ground. Drain dates and squeeze out any excess water. Add dates and vanilla to the food processor. Process until mixture sticks together and forms a ball. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, if desired, for moister brownies.

Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Press brownie mixture into the prepared dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set and then cut into 16 squares. Refrigerate brownies in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.

polenta girl

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:16 pm
Thanks for all the great suggestions

polenta girl

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:17 pm
Thanks for all the great suggestions

shlomki

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:22 pm
I'll be making apple trifle for dessert for shabbos. it's not exactly completely healthy but it's definitely on the 'safer' side.

centurion

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:22 pm
cbg wrote:
These brownies are no bake raw vegan and very yummy, high nutrition

3 cups raw walnut pieces
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup pitted dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes to soften
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a food processor, blend walnuts and cocoa powder until nuts are finely ground. Drain dates and squeeze out any excess water. Add dates and vanilla to the food processor. Process until mixture sticks together and forms a ball. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, if desired, for moister brownies.

Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Press brownie mixture into the prepared dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set and then cut into 16 squares. Refrigerate brownies in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.

I second these, they are delicious and I've tried other versions as well: without cocoa and with peanut butter, with additional dried fruits, such as apricots or cherries, with different nuts, etc.
I do these differently. instead of forming them into a brownie, I roll them into balls like a rum-ball.

Volunteer

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 12:24 am
Chocolatecoveredkatie.com has many healthier dessert recipes of all kinds. They are vegan too.

polenta girl

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 7:32 am
centurion wrote:
I second these, they are delicious and I've tried other versions as well: without cocoa and with peanut butter, with additional dried fruits, such as apricots or cherries, with different nuts, etc.
I do these differently. instead of forming them into a brownie, I roll them into balls like a rum-ball.

What does peanut butter replace?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics