Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is catapult learning/title 1?

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:16 pm
My first grader came home with a note about catapult learning under title 1, I need to sign a paper and am trying to figure out what it's all about before I do so.
Can anyone clue me in on this program?
Thank you.

belovedaz

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:33 pm
It's reading and math help for qualifying students. Teachers with education degrees come in to hopefully resize the level of the children in the class. This is especially done in esl schools such as Yiddish speaking ones where the children need an extra boost to reach grade level in English

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:38 am
....it's another way for the chedarim to get funding.
Btdt

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:19 am
There is funding tied into it but mainly it's supplemental instruction. They run a very nice program in all the places I've seen, very professional and the kids really learn helpful skills. If it's being offered and doesn't take away from anything else, there is no reason not to sign up.

Title 1 just refers to the government department/law that sponsors it. Catapult is the name of the company providing the services. It's a good company, I have seen it in a few schools and know people who work for them.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:17 am
Do you know which subject it's for?

The high school I worked for had a title 1 writing program and the girls who got to be part of the smaller title 1 classes loved it. It was coordinated with the school schedule so that the girls left class during the writing period. If your child won't be missing any other subjects, IOW if the schedule is coordinated, it's a great opportunity.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:46 am
I got the letter for reading and math which my daughter happens to excel in both. So I goes is for funding purposes.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:56 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
I got the letter for reading and math which my daughter happens to excel in both. So I goes is for funding purposes.

From what I recall, they specifically took a cross-section of kids so that there is no stigma attached to staying or leaving class.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
From what I recall, they specifically took a cross-section of kids so that there is no stigma attached to staying or leaving class.

Oh ok I get it.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:58 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:

In my daughter's school they divide the class in to 3 groups for math and reading, in first and second grade. One group stays with the teacher and then they have 2 groups of title 1. From 3 grade and up it's only girls who need extra help with math that have an option to join.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:43 am
Legally, Title 1 needs to be supplemental - it cannot replace the regular curriculum. I.e. they can't pull the kids out of math to do Title 1 math and then not teach them math in class (it's possible they could pull out for a portion of math time but they can't just use title 1 as a replacement for class.)

In regular schools it is specifically for kids who do poorly on the state exams but I think if you are ESL (officially yiddish speaking at home even if your English is fine) then they don't look for that as a criteria and you can end up with a cross-section. But the title 1 curriculum as I understand is geared towards kids who need help, so if your child is more advanced and the school is offering a challenging curriculum that she would miss out on if title 1 is (illegally) at the same time, then you might want to talk it over with the teacher before signing on. However if your school is behind the times the title 1 curriculum may be more enriching regardless. It really depends on the school... unfortunately some of these schools using ESL title 1 are still somewhat in the dark ages of secular education. Others are not.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:24 pm
Laughing Bag! wrote:

My daughter came home with a note as well and I was very surprised as her teachers had told me that she is doing very well in both reading and math (and her ability to complete her homework independently reflects that). I called her school to find out why she had been recommended and they said that in order for a child to receive the service they need to officially be put in the system by a specific date. Apparently, last year there were several girls who were doing well at the beginning of the year but by mid year when the demands/work got harder they fell behind and could have really used the help. However, they could not put them into the program because it was too late. Thereore, this year they sent the letter out to everyone in 1st grade and recommended that parents sign up their children but opt out of putting them in the group for now if they don't feel they need it. They won't bill for the students who are not being seen but this way they have the option of joining later if needed. Maybe your child's school is doing something similiar? If your not sure call and speak to her teacher and ask why they recommended her to be part of the group.
Also, the school explained that the title 1 program needs to supplement what is being learned in class and they are legally not allowed to pull the girls out of that subject. So the title 1 teacher works with the teacher and reviews/supplements what was already taught in class. (In my child's school they said the girls usually go during computers or are taken early from lunch, etc. so they avoid missing academics).

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter came home with a note as well and I was very surprised as her teachers had told me that she is doing very well in both reading and math (and her ability to complete her homework independently reflects that). I called her school to find out why she had been recommended and they said that in order for a child to receive the service they need to officially be put in the system by a specific date. Apparently, last year there were several girls who were doing well at the beginning of the year but by mid year when the demands/work got harder they fell behind and could have really used the help. However, they could not put them into the program because it was too late. Thereore, this year they sent the letter out to everyone in 1st grade and recommended that parents sign up their children but opt out of putting them in the group for now if they don't feel they need it. They won't bill for the students who are not being seen but this way they have the option of joining later if needed. Maybe your child's school is doing something similiar? If your not sure call and speak to her teacher and ask why they recommended her to be part of the group.
Also, the school explained that the title 1 program needs to supplement what is being learned in class and they are legally not allowed to pull the girls out of that subject. So the title 1 teacher works with the teacher and reviews/supplements what was already taught in class. (In my child's school they said the girls usually go during computers or are taken early from lunch, etc. so they avoid missing academics).

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I do remember hearing a similar story in one school, that there were kids who should have been in title 1 but didn't do the paperwork during the correct window of time so they were stuck for a whole year. Sign the paper and then decide whether to actually go to the class.

Bet the kids in your school don't like missing computers though...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics