Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
One year old - ideas on activities?

frummommy2015

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 11:00 pm
This is our first kid and while I think I interact with her enough, sometimes I question myself. I guess that's a mom thing - always questioning.

She's one year old next week. What are some things that you do to keep your one year old entertained?

How much time do you allow them to entertain themselves?

Thanks in advance!

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:12 am
I read to my son all the time. He loves it. He's 18 months now and can finish most of the sentences and he can go and get a particular book if we quote a line from it. At 1 he loved reading and pointing out things (Where's the cat? etc.) Also, anything with a ball, or building towers with blocks. Cooking with pots and pans and wooden spoons. Hide and seek is/was a big favorite too. Cleaning with a mop or brush, wiping things with a little cloth, anything copying what adults too. And anything that involves not being tied down in a chair. If she's happy playing by herself then that's also fine for an hour here or there as long as you keep on praising, noticing what she is doing, talking to her etc.

Meal times can also be lots of fun. Give lots of small cut up pieces of food and a yummy dip (hummus, white cheese, veggie soup)

I used to try and include my son e.g. go round the house cleaning things and tidying and take him with me and set him up with something to 'help' me in each room. Gave him variety and fun, and the house was clean at the end.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:21 am
It's a good age to occupy kids out of the house. Baby gymboree-style play areas, the zoo, the aquarium, etc.

In home, it's a good age to let your kid get messy, as hard as that can be for us moms! Water table, finger painting, then with bath crayons even cleanup can become a fun activity.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:57 am
I do a lot of singing with hand motions.

Look into local Mommy&Me groups. Check out libraries for free programs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics