Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Awkward question about DD

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:49 pm
I've been noticing lately that my 5 year old DD often sleep on her hands at night, holding her private parts. She seems to rub herself back on forth on her hands until she falls asleep. Sometimes she scrunches her blankets and rubs on those to...
Confused
Is this normal? (Not to do, but at such a young age?) Should I somehow stop her? What do the experienced imas say?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:01 pm
Leave her alone. If she starts to do it in public, let her know that is something that can only done in private.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:20 pm
Had this issue!
Started when DD was 4 and sometimes still happens at almost 6. I was freaked out at first. I spoke to the dr about it. I was embarrassed but glad I did. He said happens all the time. That it's a private area only to be touched in private. I was very casual about it. At first she would do it in the living room when she was tired playing in the afternoon.
She has mostly grown out of it. Dr stressed that it is not s*xual, it just feel good to them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 2:35 am
amother wrote:
I've been noticing lately that my 5 year old DD often sleep on her hands at night, holding her private parts. She seems to rub herself back on forth on her hands until she falls asleep. Sometimes she scrunches her blankets and rubs on those to...
Confused
Is this normal? (Not to do, but at such a young age?) Should I somehow stop her? What do the experienced imas say?
I babysat for someone whose daughter did this at about 2 years old. It is completely normal. It has nothing to do do with $exual anything. They dont know from $exual anything at that age.
One of my daughters does this. She is older than 5 and she started when she was younger than that. I taught her that this is something to do only when she is alone, in her bedroom and that she should not do this when people are around.
Dont stop her. It will backfire and she wont stop anyway.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 2:56 am
amother wrote:
I babysat for someone whose daughter did this at about 2 years old. It is completely normal. It has nothing to do do with $exual anything. They dont know from $exual anything at that age.
One of my daughters does this. She is older than 5 and she started when she was younger than that. I taught her that this is something to do only when she is alone, in her bedroom and that she should not do this when people are around.
Dont stop her. It will backfire and she wont stop anyway.

Same experience with my DD at that age.
Totally normal. Do not make her feel guilty or ashamed about the pleasure that she is receiving from her body.
If she starts doing it in public (my DD did) tell her very matter of factly that she can do it in her bedroom because it's a private thing.
That's it. It IS awkward for you but try not to attach too much importance to it and don't make a big deal over it with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers