Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Are your closets a mess?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:11 pm
I love being organized and most people think of me as a super organized type. It's all a facade!!!

My school bag was always full of scrunched up papers as a kid, I could just never figure out how to keep it neat.

My main problem now is storing clothing! I have it all piled neatly, or I even tried rolling it so everything was visible, but still, whenever I want to find something something in a hurry I end up having to pull everything out. I have no time to fold things. It all ends up a big jumbled mess spilling out of my closet. Baby's clothes are the same.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
I love being organized and most people think of me as a super organized type. It's all a facade!!!

My school bag was always full of scrunched up papers as a kid, I could just never figure out how to keep it neat.

My main problem now is storing clothing! I have it all piled neatly, or I even tried rolling it so everything was visible, but still, whenever I want to find something something in a hurry I end up having to pull everything out. I have no time to fold things. It all ends up a big jumbled mess spilling out of my closet. Baby's clothes are the same.

Can you hang everything instead?
Or install dividers in shelves so that only one row of folded clothes per shelf? And then stack the clothes in sets and only use the top set each time?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 3:00 pm
Organized and neat are not the necessarily the same thing.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 3:03 pm
My wash machine backed up
Now there is soggy moldy clithiung all over den
My bedroom is an ibstaclke course of cloths all over
One day they will find me suffocated under a pile of clothing

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 3:38 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Organized and neat are not the necessarily the same thing.

So true! Five baskets full of crumpled clothes for one person, one each for socks, undies, tops, bottoms and pjs, is organized but not neat. A closet full of clothes folded and stacked just so but every size and type of clothes mixed together in each stack, is painfully neat and painfully disorganized.

Still, IME, things get this way when people have too many clothes. Purge three-quarters of what you have and you'll be able to see your way to organizing what's left in a logical manner.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 3:52 pm
Sort clothing by category. Label the shelves where different items are stored. Use shelf dividers to define the space. When hanging clothing, use hanger dividers like these:
http://smile.amazon.com/Simple.....iders

Another approach that works, especially if you're always in a hurry when getting dressed or dressing the baby, is to sort by outfit — e.g., baby's matching overalls, socks, and onesie all bundled together on a single hanger. You can pin the socks to the hanger too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics