Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I hate Purim cards!
Previous  1  2  3

marina

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 12:56 am
In our town, lol, the latest is that the cards indicate whether you are popular or not. Like high school.

An organization sends you a list of names and you check off the families you'd like to send shalach manos to and pay 4$ per name. If the recipient family receives 4 or more checks from the others in the community, then that family receives an actual shalach manos basket. If the recipient family receives less checks, like 3 or 2, they will get a lovely card in the mail that charity has been given to this organization in their name.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 1:00 am
I think cards are nice for people who live far away or you don't have time to get to. But generally if someone takes the trouble to come to me I think the right thing is to give back.
I agree that it's out of hand that everyone has to give 50 MM. It's expensive and not everyone can afford it but that is more for a spin off of how to change the standards.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 9:32 am
marina wrote:
In our town, lol, the latest is that the cards indicate whether you are popular or not. Like high school.

An organization sends you a list of names and you check off the families you'd like to send shalach manos to and pay 4$ per name. If the recipient family receives 4 or more checks from the others in the community, then that family receives an actual shalach manos basket. If the recipient family receives less checks, like 3 or 2, they will get a lovely card in the mail that charity has been given to this organization in their name.

As long as one person sends to ploni, ploni will get a full basket here. And since there is a growing trend to pay x amount of $$$ and it goes to the whole list, everyone's getting at least 2 dozen or so names on his/her card. (It's less than $4/person for the rest of us.)
No complaints. The biggest local cards finance the mikvah and hachnasas kallah.

Someone I know makes her own tribute cards and gives tzedaka to a disabled friend (not too many details in the card). I appreciate that.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 9:34 am
I know a way to solve everyone's problems. How about EDIBLE Purim cards? You get the best of both worlds!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics