Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Relocating to NYU with family from Israel.

sharondamri

Post Sat, Apr 16 2016, 2:38 pm
Hi all and thanks in advance!

I am a married mother with 3 little ones (6, 4 and 2), and I am about to join the LLM program at NYU next year.

It will be great to get some advice on where to live (I'd much rather not to commute too much, but it might be inevitable). Schools are top of mind when considering where to live (I wouldn't want to pay over 40K for all 3 kids), then being close to the university, and then (of course) - the community. We are a very liberal MOs, so can't be overly strict..

It is clear to me the cost of living is way different than Israeli standards but it'll be great to hear some perspective about how much is it really going to cost..

Reading through past threads - it looks like UWS is an expensive options (any specific schools/Communities?), then Riverdale or teaneck,NJ, which seem quite far from NYU.

Thanks so much for your help and Chag Sameach!
Sharon

Many thanks,
Sharon

byisrael

Post Sat, Apr 16 2016, 3:34 pm
How about the Lower east Side?
There is a community of younger MO - don't know if it would be too religious for you...
Have a cousin there she's a real sweetheart-but I don't know much more
And cost ofd living is high because its the city but still cheaper than the upper west side

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 1:29 pm
I think it's nearly impossible to find an apartment in the lower east side.
There might be locations in queens or New jersey that are closer than riverdale or teaneck. However, if you're liberal MO you'll probably be paying through the nose for schooling anyway, whereever you go.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 1:31 pm
actually if I think about it, teaneck or riverdale would be the closest to NYU of MO communities. Unless you try washington heights? I also wonder if Teaneck/riverdale are that much cheaper than UWS. I think it's very expensive there.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 1:38 pm
I'm just checking on google maps. here is the car commute to each of these - WITHOUT TRAFFIC - factor in lots of traffic I guess.

Teaneck/Englewood/Passaic/Riverdale to NYU is 28-32 min w/o traffic
washington Heights, NY 25 min w/o traffic
Elizabeth, NJ to NYU: 30 mins w/o traffic
Forest Hills/Fresh Meadows/Holliswood, queens, to NYU: 27-33 mins w/o traffic

So they're all in the same window. I'd say 40-45 mins with traffic probably.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 2:14 pm
Try Elizabeth hillside area. Look at thejec.org Cheaper housing and a close train ride into the city. You will fit in from a religious perspective. Schools will cost money. That is the way it is here in the states.

nylon

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 4:36 pm
I would not say that Elizabeth/Hillside is "very liberal" MO. I would look in Riverdale, as it will have the most for rent. For schools, you'll have to apply for aid and cross your fingers...

sharondamri

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 4:38 am
Thank you all so much for your responses. We will look into these options. We might also will have to consider commute with public transportation... Any specific names of recommended schools?

Thanks!!!!

mo5

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:11 am
I'm a big believer in Jewish schools but I know there's some Hebrew charter schools (maybe it's Harlem?) with after school religious education programs (need to check who does those- ie דתי vs others- I know that there's one which Chabad UWS provides the after school program and it seems very impressive).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics