Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bungalow considerations
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:10 pm
If you don't have space for warm pj's blankets etc , definitely do have them ready packed so your dh can bring them if necessary. Some nights are cold (again, depending where upstate you are) and a sweatshirt might not be enough. Quick fix for early morning chills, cook up a big pot of water (a foil pan works just fine too) , warms up quickly.

Also if you're still shopping for clothes or socks look for navy or any other dark colors. Denims. Anytime better than light colors.

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:12 pm
I meant the other thread linked above but yeah I'm running a concurrent thread about the narrow feet issue. It's the wide-footed DD who had the ones similar to your link, I think they were too wide for DD#1 (who does well with the annoying buckle sandals because they strap on and don't wobble all around.) I have about a dozen pairs of assorted sneakers and saltwater sandals making their way over here between tomorrow and Thursday and depending what fits to get her through the end of school will determine what she will have for her second pair - if it's sneakers then we'll go water shoes, if it's sandals then we could go either way. DD#2 has sneakers so she just needs something easier to get in and out of for wet. DD#1's old saltwater sandals fit her just right but I can see it being somewhat inconvenient if she doesn't master buckling quickly.

OK the other bungalow packing thread was like I dont want to see Time out Not listening Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized

So it was a little helpful (new CO detector - oh right!) but gosharuni, do people really bring all that stuff? Not I.

Think we can go the whole summer on disposables or does it actually pay to invest in some inexpensive dinnerware and then have to spend time and energy washing it? I don't want to buy dishes and then have to wash them, but the idea of how much garbage we'd go through is Hypnotized

for consumables like dish sponges, shampoo, etc, how do wal-mart prices compare with, say, Amazon subscribe-n-save? Because I certainly don't want to be busy shlepping all that stuff but I guess I could order it delivered there or take a big shopping trip on day 1 or on the preview trip.

I'm just getting really nervous at the idea that this whole trip is going to totally break the bank. My job is covering the bungalow and our basic expenses but the bungalow setup is starting to feel overwhelming. A lot is stuff that I could use at home anyway but buying it all at once feels more impactful.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:15 pm
If you are going with a baby please consider getting him or her a hat.
I was sitting out in 'the ladies circle' on chilly chilly nights and the moms were all wearing sweaters, babies just covered with a thin blanket. Protect those soft bald heads and sensitive ears please. Adults burn more energy and baby in a carriage are colder. A thin little blanket (and a bare head) is not enough.

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:22 pm
No baby but surely the advice will come in handy for someone. May as well make this an all-purpose thread. I have two preschool-age girls.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:22 pm
Walmart is cheaper than Amazon program. I do an online order with detergents, paper goods etc and have it shipped straight to the bungalow.

You don't need to break the bank. Make a list of musts and wants. Take whatever is possible from home. You don't need a 12 piece dishes set. I do fine with 4 of each from my regular set plus some disposables. 2 pots, the rest I do spend on foils. (With 3 eatin kids)
I believe it's how you set yourself up. If this is the first time you're going, talk to others who have been there. The thread I linked has some extensive list and some of it is totally not necessary.

pause

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:25 pm
Hate to break it to you: you either shlep half your house or you spend a lot of money buying stuff in the mountains (for double the price sometimes)...

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:31 pm
pause wrote:
Hate to break it to you: you either shlep half your house or you spend a lot of money buying stuff in the mountains (for double the price sometimes)...

If you pack with a cheshbun you shlep half the house.
If you pack cuz I'm going to the countreee then you shlep your house but the kitchen sink.

Yes, packing for the country is a huge job. The trick to make it the easiest possible is to be organized. Go through your house and get a detailed list and organize yourself. It'll definitely give you a heads up in the game.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:15 pm
Last yr we went to the bungalow colony for around 10 days. I was pretty organized with the packing but I was so surprised that I ended taking the same amount for 10 days as I would have for 2 months. I needed my toaster over (I use it every single day/few times), needed shabbos clothing for the family, jackets, swim stuff, linen, towels, paper goods, basic groceries for the first couple off days (took no spices just salt and sugar).... I dunno, maybe it's just me but our car was not normal stuffed with a back rack for kids bikes. Like someone else said, if you think it will make your life better, take it with you since you will probably end up buying there and spending more. Going away with a family for anything more than a weekend means you will be bringing loads of things - keeping everyone in mind.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:15 pm
There's stuff on the other thread that for sure won't apply to you. It's helpful to use it to make your own list though.

Bungalows all have smoke detectors- I think they have to. Not sure about CO2 detectors though.

I bring up my silverware, but use only plastic plates and bowls. We use a lot of plastic cutlery too, but sometimes you need real things- for cooking and stuff.

Walmart has great prices for most things. I do like to buy a lot of these things at home, at a 99 cent store, just so we will have less to buy at Walmart and we'll be starting out with some basics, but if you are worried about having room in the car, you can totally buy it all there. You will need a big shopping trip in the beginning, no matter how you do it- though I've never tried ordering everything to come there.

There's always that dreaded moment when they ring up your total in Walmart and you have to hold your breath and hope it's below $500. Plus the grocery shopping- stocking up the kitchen that first week is not a simple chore.

I used to buy all new spices there at the beginning of each summer. Now I've learned to bring my spices from home so that I don't end up with double the amount in September. Little things like that can make a difference.

summer0808

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:36 pm
Dont bother with boots. Last year my kids basically wore Crocs (real ones not knockoff) and saltwater. Especially because of the mud/rain. Both washed easily and dried quickly. Sneakers take forever to dry and this they wore all day and you didnt go running for the boots when it started raining and usually the toddler was in the puddle already.

I did find though, that my 2 year old who was always in the puddles (I had crocs and 2 sandals (one hand me down). the regular saltwater broke apart right after the summer, I assume from too much water and mud.

Shop in the mountains. Walmart is the same and Mountain Fruit has the same prices as a regular grocery store.

sneakermom

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:39 pm
I've been to the country and kept things ultra simple.

Easy list:
Toaster oven for milchige meals.
One fleshig pot.
One fleshig frying pan.
One milchige pot.
One milchige frying pan.
One each fleshig and milchige sharp knife.
Peeler
A milchige and a fleshiga utensil for frying. (Forgot name)
Milchige and fleshig serving stirring spoon.
Covers
Pillows
Linen
Towels
Negel vasser cup
Few dish towels
Salt
Pepper
Garlick
Onion powder
Salt shaker
Sugar shaker?
Napkin holder
Laundry bags

Disposables to buy in the country
Case of 9x13 pans
Plastic disposable table cloths
Sponges
Paper towel
Napkins
Plates
Cups
Cutlery
Silver foil
Plastic zip locks
Containers
Tea lights
Matches
Garbage bags

Challah dekel
Disposable or real becher
Besomim
Siddurim
Bentchers

Clothing
Toiletries
Broom
Mop
Shovel

That's it off the top of my head Smile

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:08 am
I don't need a complete packing list - I'm not going to forget to pack clothes, and if I forget salt I'll just buy it. What I'm asking for in this thread are more like insider tips from those who have BTDT that regular city people wouldn't think of. Like "If your city kids have one bathing suit apiece then make sure to get at least one more for the country" and "Don't worry about rain boots because they just splash around in crocs anyway" and "bungalows come with smoke alarms but not CO detectors." Those kinds of things. I KNOW I'll need something to eat, something to cook with, and something to sleep on. What I'm asking is what DON'T I know?

sneakermom

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:27 am
So sorry for giving you what you didn't want or need. I think there are support groups out there that can help with this kind of AGGRAVATION.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:29 am
Is this info for an article?

greenfire

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:30 am
spray twice a day with mosquito repellent or find something natural like lavender or cinnamon

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
Is this info for an article?

Nah, this is just the op's style. Ask for help and then get annoyed at everyone for not reading her mind and knowing exactly what she already does and doesn't know.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:49 am
sneakermom wrote:
So sorry for giving you what you didn't want or need. I think there are support groups out there that can help with this kind of AGGRAVATION.

Thumbs Up

Friedda

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 1:08 am
amother wrote:
Nah, this is just the op's style. Ask for help and then get annoyed at everyone for not reading her mind and knowing exactly what she already does and doesn't know.

Isn't OP the one that was nosing around the 'Severe Parental Abuse Forum' for an article she was writing?

She should have Ben banned then and there for that!

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 1:10 am
Good grief, no need to bite my head off. I'm looking for advice for a first-time country-goer. Because I AM a first-time country-goer, as I think I clearly explained in my OP. And you can feel free to share your entire packing list from soup to nuts but it would take an awful lot of time to type and would probably not be entirely relevant to anyone other than you. And was done in that other thread linked above. Though feel free to do it some more, if you're bored.

If your point is that I should have been more thankful toward sneakermom for painstakingly sharing her thoughts, then you would be absolutely right and I now backtrack and thank you, sneakermom, for writing that all out, because I did appreciate it just wasn't thoughtful enough at the moment to say so. One of the many hazardous side effects of typing in a hurry while doing three other things in different rooms. So instead I just let you know that you don't need to continue the list in that fashion since I'm sure it would be a hassle for you. And the mistake is acknowledged. But if that was amother's point, it could have been made without the snark.

I'm not asking anyone to read my mind. What I'm asking is, if you have gone to the country, are there things that you wish you had known beforehand that would have been helpful? Why is that so unreasonable? I'm generally happy to help others with that type of advice in areas in which I have experience.

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 1:12 am
Friedda wrote:
Isn't OP the one that was nosing around the 'Severe Parental Abuse Forum' for an article she was writing?

She should have Ben banned then and there for that!

Inviting people to knowingly volunteer to be interviewed for a project they may be interested in is not called "nosing around." If a person did not want to share their information, they were more than welcome not to do so as I made my purpose crystal clear in my post there. If you had any issue with it you could report it there rather than bringing it up as a personal attack in an unrelated thread. My impression was that those who did share their experiences did so because they WANTED the opportunity to teach the public about their challenge, which can only happen when people share - again, voluntarily; no nosing was done.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics