Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bungalow considerations
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:14 am
I reported the thread.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:25 pm
Hi Seeker, I don't go to a bungalow colony now, but when I was little we did. I remember my mother using a lot of laundry baskets! You will need to carry your stuff to the laundry room (assuming you don't have in your bungalow), plus its helpful for shlepping stuff around: gear to the pool, cleaning up at the end of the day,etc..
another item on your walmart list should be a citronella candle-- I am assuming you will be eating outside a lot, and they are really helpful to have to keep mosquitos away.

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 4:57 pm
Thanks for the Walmart tips! I have not seen a Walmart in soooo long (it's not a thing in NYC) that I am totally out of touch with what they have and prices. Does Walmart have a cheap store brand of things like shampoo, paper plates, etc, things that are usually cheaper in store brand? If not I think ShopRite is nearby and probably reasonable enough.

Speaking of extra bathing suits (and thanks also for the tip about walmart running out of them - this is for people who don't gamble or aren't quick I guess) Target has kids' bathing suits on sale this week (I should go over and post this in the general summer deals thread) Toddler sizes are cheaper - under $9 - and I discovered that in some styles toddler goes up to 6x or so.

OK. Closed toe sandals. So I guess I'm looking for sneakers as shoe-wear, and those keen-style water shoes with rubbery toe guards. And 3yo will just have to wear something funky even on Shabbos because I am not buying Shabbos shoes to get trashed in the country.

(BTW the post that says I posted it at 8:27 AM - something weird must have happened, I'm barely even conscious at 8:27 AM and certainly didn't see that there were another bunch of posts before it.)

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 5:23 pm
Do ppl still need loads of quarters for the laundry machines? Haven't been to a bungalow in over a decade , but if they do, the op might want to bring up a few rolls of quarters.

strawberry cola

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:51 pm
what is tick remover? I didnt know there was a product available for that

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:02 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Hi Seeker, I don't go to a bungalow colony now, but when I was little we did. I remember my mother using a lot of laundry baskets! You will need to carry your stuff to the laundry room (assuming you don't have in your bungalow), plus its helpful for shlepping stuff around: gear to the pool, cleaning up at the end of the day,etc..
another item on your walmart list should be a citronella candle-- I am assuming you will be eating outside a lot, and they are really helpful to have to keep mosquitos away.

That's a good tip. There are foldable laundry baskets available for inexpensive that close up to next to nothing which might be for when you don't have much space in the car or bungalow.

teddyb

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:02 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
my mother packs in laundry baskets instead of suitcases. But they have a bigger car then your going in.

sweetart

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:46 pm
Relax! If you forget anything, or only realize you need it once you're already there, everything is available in the country. Walmart and Shoprite in Monticello are diagonally across from each other, and all medicines, toiletries & cleaning supplies are available. They carry items like bathing suits, pjs, and underwear too, but those tend to sell out very quickly in the beginning of the summer. Underwear, (not knee) socks, and even dresses and tees are replenished, bathing suits are not. Amazon, zappos, etc all deliver upstate, too.
Plastic bowls/dishes, cutlery & foil pans are available more reasonably in the frum supermarkets, and the frum supermarkets generally charge a little more upstate for everything than they do in Brooklyn. If you have room, it's nice to bring it up with you, if not, it is available, just costs a little more. (Keep in mind the size of your bungalow, and storage space too.) Some people either make an order or have their husbands shop in the city & bring up the order to save some $.
A microwave & toaster oven are impt! A sandwich maker is nice. If need be, they're available in Walmart.
Lots of little rocks and debris, so def agree with closed toe shoes. Even with shabbos shoes, crocs are what all the kids end up in by shabbos afternoon. No shabbos shoes is really no biggie. Re rain boots: if you have a puddle jumper, the water often goes into the boots, and the kid ends up wet, and the boots take a very long time to dry out. If you think this applies to you, a croc-like shoe may be more practical. Depends on the kid.
Thin, bathing suit material cover ups are best for the pool, they dry much faster than a Terry robe.
Will you have a washer/dryer in your bungalow? The amount of clothing and towels necessary is completely dependent on that.
Flashlights & yahrtzeit candles are good in case of a blackout, or sometimes if you go out at night. A baby monitor is good if you want to sit outside your bungalow while your children are sleeping.
If you need an Internet connection, call Time Warner now & make an appointment --they take forever to come, and if you want it right when you come up, schedule now.
A little all over the place, I know, just some ideas. Please feel free to ask anything more specific, or to ignore anything, of course! It's beautiful to see your kids just being kids, Enjoy!

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 11:27 pm
Wow, sweetart, you really have this down to a science!
So, closed sneakers to avoid rocks but don't be surprised when kids stay in their water slippers half the time. Boots meh.

Interesting concept about the bathing suit cover up. I thought the terry helps you dry off, like when there isn't much time for toweling because the kids just jump out of the pool at the last minute? Where do you get bathing suit cover ups?

I am going to assume no washer/dryer so yes to the laundry carrying ideas and probably quarters too.

And I totally didn't realize the idea of the baby monitor is to hang around outside while kids sleeping. I was thinking "no baby, no monitor" but I do still have mine and will revive it for this! In the city you don't go past the door with kids inside but I can see myself loosening up in a bungalow.

I do need internet but I was hoping maybe I could work it out with mobile. Anyone know how rates would compare? I imagine there are fees for setting up a landline with internet for just two months as well as the cost of the service itself. I don't currently have a data plan on my phone but I'm wondering if it makes sense to sign up with a no-contract service like Page Plus and get that thing that lets you turn your phone into a hotspot. I hope it would have service though - I hear verizon is good where I'm going. A couple of months without constant internet would probably do me good but as a working mom I won't have time to go visit Starbucks every time I need to pay bills online or send work emails or such.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:43 am
Never used a tick remover, whatever that is. Ticks can be removed with a tweezer. It is very important to get the whole tick out. After removing, carefully place it in a zip lock bag and bring it to your doctor, it can be tested for Lyme. You can circle the area with a pen or marker so you can watch for the telltale bullseye-shaped rash. You should check yourself and your children daily, it's usually easy to do at bathtime. Ticks need a certain amount of time on their host in order to transmit Lyme, so checking daily makes it much less likely that the person will be infected.

FineOrthodox

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
Never used a tick remover, whatever that is. Ticks can be removed with a tweezer. It is very important to get the whole tick out. After removing, carefully place it in a zip lock bag and bring it to your doctor, it can be tested for Lyme. You can circle the area with a pen or marker so you can watch for the telltale target-shaped rash. You should check yourself and your children daily, it's usually easy to do at bathtime. Ticks need a certain amount of time on their host in order to transmit Lyme, so checking daily makes it much less likely that the person will be infected.

Yes it is very important to get the whole tic out with all the tiny little legs. A tic remover chockes the tic, at the same time forcing it to lose grip of the skin and comes out complete. With a tweezer you take a chance of the tic getting hurt and splitting it, leaving over a leg or two which causes further issues.

sweetart

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:13 am
You can get cover ups at most frum children's shops, probably most reasonably at Basic Colors.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:21 am
Basic Colors for coverups -- I agree.

There are many times no "telltale" rash as a sign of Lyme. A huge percentage of cases never had such a rash, so while looking for a rash is helpful, one shouldn't think he or she is clear because of no rash.

kollel wife

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:37 am
I've never gone to a bungalow but reading this is getting me "involved" so to speak.

I'm enjoying your preparations and looking forward to you having a very enjoyable summer!!!

Hope you are able to relax and enjoy despite your work schedule!!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:19 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Basic Colors for coverups -- I agree.

There are many times no "telltale" rash as a sign of Lyme. A huge percentage of cases never had such a rash, so while looking for a rash is helpful, one shouldn't think he or she is clear because of no rash.

True, that's why having the tick tested is also advisable. And of course, check with your doctor if you notice any symptoms -even if you never noticed a tick.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:59 pm
seeker wrote:

OK. Closed toe sandals. So I guess I'm looking for sneakers as shoe-wear, and those keen-style water shoes with rubbery toe guards. And 3yo will just have to wear something funky even on Shabbos because I am not buying Shabbos shoes to get trashed in the country.

We do closed toe sandals instead of sneakers. They have the benefits of sneakers but no socks needed (less laundry!!!!!)

Zehava

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:20 pm
Enlighten me why it has to be closed toe sandals. They probably get really worn out at the toes. My kids manage fine with the open toe ones.

cnc

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:25 pm
Zehava wrote:
Enlighten me why it has to be closed toe sandals. They probably get really worn out at the toes. My kids manage fine with the open toe ones.

We always used to stub our toes with open toe sandals.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:29 pm
Zehava wrote:

Better protection for the feet.

Zehava

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:50 pm
Protection from what? My kids just run around in the grass and mud. Does age make a difference?
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics