Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bungalow considerations
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

sky

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:37 pm
protect little toes from rocks\pebbles\mulch, tree limbs\branches, etc.
I also prefer closed toe sandals.

seeker

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:03 pm
I get that closed toes help avoid stubbing them, but don't get how they help with pebbles and mulch because by definition sandals have all those holes in the sides and that's where they get in. But whatever. At this point for Ms Narrow I am going to take whatever shoe fits, and for Ms Wide she already has full sneakers so we just need something cheap and waterproof. I don't think that will be hard to find.

Kollel wife that's sweet Smile

Thanks for all the tick advice. I never heard of a tick remover.

sweetart

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:11 pm
When running and playing, shmutz tends to come in the front. I buy crocs or natives with a closed front, and although they have lots of other holes, it works.

mille

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:56 pm
I'm gonna throw in my own two cents that it is absolutely worth it to bring some warmer stuff. I have only been going upstate when I joined my husband's family, as they own a bungalow, and we only go for weekends. Even in the middle of July and August, it can get really cold at night, think 40s or even 30s on rare occassions! Yes, your husband can bring stuff, but what happens if you have a cold night and he isn't there to bring blankets? You definitely want sweatshirts and warm pjs, but a few warm blankets won't hurt either if you can find the room. Maybe fleece blankets because they roll up small but can be quite warm.

Depending on what kind of bungalow you have, you might want to pick up a fan or two. You can probably get that at Walmart upstate though. In my eyes a bungalow doesn't have central air or heat (that's a house!), and when it gets SUPER hot in the summer the air can feel really stagnant.

I hope you enjoy the summer!! Maybe I'll see you there Wink

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:10 pm
I make my kids wear socks even with crocs or sandals because their toes get caked in dirt. A kid I know once got an infection on her toe and it was so covered in dirt that they didn't even realize it at first. The doctor found it and was kind of grossed out.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:23 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I make my kids wear socks even with crocs or sandals because their toes get caked in dirt. A kid I know once got an infection on her toe and it was so covered in dirt that they didn't even realize it at first. The doctor found it and was kind of grossed out.

I don't understand this. Did the child not take baths?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don't understand this. Did the child not take baths?
Yes, but not all the dirt around the nails comes off so easily.

seeker

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:18 pm
BLEAURGH! *adds nail scrubber to list*

Mille, if I saw you there I wouldn't even know it!

seeker

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:22 pm
OK the next question is regarding socks. for context, the colony is on the modern side, I'm on the "they're little kids, whatever" side, but they go to a BY school. What do I buy for their feet (when I'm done with the sandals...):
a) knee socks to protect from ticks
b) ankle socks because ticks or no ticks they are not going to be comfortable in knee socks
c) socks? who needs em? They are not going to wear them anyway. But just for those times that you do need them, please choose a or b.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:31 pm
You'll need to check for ticks every night anyway. Knee socks are hot. I would go with ankle socks.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:50 pm
seeker wrote:
Wow, sweetart, you really have this down to a science!
So, closed sneakers to avoid rocks but don't be surprised when kids stay in their water slippers half the time. Boots meh.

Interesting concept about the bathing suit cover up. I thought the terry helps you dry off, like when there isn't much time for toweling because the kids just jump out of the pool at the last minute? Where do you get bathing suit cover ups?

I am going to assume no washer/dryer so yes to the laundry carrying ideas and probably quarters too.

And I totally didn't realize the idea of the baby monitor is to hang around outside while kids sleeping. I was thinking "no baby, no monitor" but I do still have mine and will revive it for this! In the city you don't go past the door with kids inside but I can see myself loosening up in a bungalow.

I do need internet but I was hoping maybe I could work it out with mobile. Anyone know how rates would compare? I imagine there are fees for setting up a landline with internet for just two months as well as the cost of the service itself. I don't currently have a data plan on my phone but I'm wondering if it makes sense to sign up with a no-contract service like Page Plus and get that thing that lets you turn your phone into a hotspot. I hope it would have service though - I hear verizon is good where I'm going. A couple of months without constant internet would probably do me good but as a working mom I won't have time to go visit Starbucks every time I need to pay bills online or send work emails or such.

To be honest, I only have one bathing suit for each person in my family. I line dry them every night, so no biggie.

The internet thing: It's very tricky. A landline for only 2 months does end up being expensive. However, these internet sticks can end up being even more expensive, and frustratingly slow. It depends though what you're using them for. If you're planning to stream a lot of video, you'll run out of data within a few hours. For very low level usage like paying bills and checking emails you can get away cheap. Tmobile and Verizon have Portable internet devices. Check out their websites. But Tmobile's coverage is very spotty upstate so make sure it's covered.

Chances are that one of your neighbors will have a landline with internet like Time Warner and will let you borrow their password for a few minutes a day. I guess you can research these portable devices and see if it's worth it. Or buy a cheap, used smartphone on ebay or walmart and activate it with verizon for the month.

good luck!

seeker

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 2:52 am
I can handle a summer with no streaming video but I want to have email access several times a day, facebook every few days at least, and of course periodical peeks at imamother. In addition I need access to my banking, some shopping, and things like looking up weather/directions/info. Recipes - I kind of never use paper anymore. Writing - depends if I get any jobs over the summer but would need at minimum some back-and-forth emailing and usually some degree of web research too. Things like that. I haven't the slightest idea how much data things like that use because I currently have a monthly landline situation that doesn't count these things, but I am pretty sure that much Verizon phone hotspot data is going to be totally unaffordable.

Chances are someone or a bunch of someones will have wifi going but I have no idea how generous they will be. I guess I can wait and see.

Some places have unlimited data pretty affordable - Metro PCS comes to mind - but I'm pretty sure it will be about as good as useless in the country.

seeker

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 3:02 am
By the way, I just bought the ankle socks 7 pairs for something like $11 at Land's End after coupon. And bathing suits (tankinis actually. Not my usual style but I'm thinking easier for little kids for bathroom trips) cheaper than Target on sale. They each have one that still fits from last year (the kind that's hard to put on and take off though) as well as one rashguard set we use for sprinkler parks in the city, but this way there's a backup plan and if it isn't needed it can go right back because their return policy is wide open.

Still working on the watershoes, waiting to find a deal more in the $10 range - the kind with toe bumpers are currently closer to $20 and I've already blown a fortune on this particular season change without even stocking the bungalow yet. It just happens to be one of those times when everyone needs new things at the same time and the hand-me-downs don't cover it. I have like no good lightweight t-shirts anymore, and adult clothes are always more expensive. Both kids needed new sneakers anyway (school shoes were outgrown with too much school time left to go straight to sandals) but need sandals because you can't do sneakers all summer in the country without killing them too soon. And on and on and on it goes. I hate season changes, I never did learn how to anticipate them properly because they play out differently every time.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:24 am
I pay for wifi in the country. I don't find that most people are happy to share their password.

seeker

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 8:53 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I pay for wifi in the country. I don't find that most people are happy to share their password.

approx how much do you pay?

cookiewriter

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:09 am
I dont understand all the hock about crocs sandals etc. my kids all got new shoes for pesach (some got loafers some got nikes etc) and that's what they will wear in the summer. With socks! I will also buy them each a cheap sneaker. The end. Crocs- they all have one pair for wearing on the way to and from the pool. They do all own rubber boots as well and they wear those when they have to go out and it's crazy pouring. Like on the way to day camp. The mud is sometimes ankle deep so u need rubber boots. But if you don't wanna buy rubber boots I guess for those 3-4 times it pours, skip it. Hope your colony is paved!

the world's best mom

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:45 am
seeker wrote:
approx how much do you pay?
I don't remember. I think there was a fee in the beginning to pay for the box they send you. I don't remember how much it was though.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:50 pm
Friedda wrote:
Isn't OP the one that was nosing around the 'Severe Parental Abuse Forum' for an article she was writing?

She should have Ben banned then and there for that!

Mods, please don't ban Seeker! shock She's one of my favorite posters! I love her writing style.

Seeker, I buy my girls Children's Place sandals. You can get them for as little as $5 sometimes, but the current price is also fabulous. Although I'm not a fan of TCP shoe quality, the sandals wear very nicely, similar to Saltwater sandals. http://m.childrensplace.com/pr.....S_USD

seeker

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 2:06 pm
Cookiewriter, you're right, it's ridiculous Wink But someone who hasn't been to the country wouldn't know about things like knee-deep mud, which is why it's helpful to hear what worked for others. Also I happen to be buying especially for summer since my kids outgrew their school shoes and I'm not going to buy new school shoes in May. And I don't have the budget for shoes AND sneakers AND crocs AND boots so it's good to know what's the most useful.

Amelia Bedelia, aww that was sweet Smile We clarified that this was a case of mistaken identity, not sure why it came up here but I'm not the one who posted whatever amother was offended about. Thanks for the tip about children's place, I pretty much gave up on the brand's quality in general but I guess they still do some things right?!

greenfire

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 2:32 pm

I saw these & immediately thought of you ...
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics