Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Learning english question

IBR

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 6:59 pm
I am looking to speak to women from chasidish background like from Williamsburg and bori park or just didferent chasidish backgrounds. I am in process of creating something for children. Thank you.

sourstix

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 11:07 pm
what do you want to ask. ask away...

IBR

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:18 am
Do people in boro park and Williamsburg watch video or cd? Dvds? I m planning on making an abc learning video catered to boys 7 and up who do t learn english in cheder. No music or animation. Maybe very parve neutral pictures. What do you think? Do boys that age understand english or would it be better if the video was in yidish? Thank you.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:22 am
IBR wrote:
Do people in boro park and Williamsburg watch video or cd? Dvds? I m planning on making an abc learning video catered to boys 7 and up who do t learn english in cheder. No music or animation. Maybe very parve neutral pictures. What do you think? Do boys that age understand english or would it be better if the video was in yidish? Thank you.

People watch, but the chedarim don't allow it or strongly discourage it.
The people that will most likely benefit from this the most will not watch the videos.

Eta; I reread your post. The chedarim that don't have English at all for that age- definitely do not permit CDs or DVDs and most likely parents that send to such type of schools wouldn't bring them into the house in any case.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:42 pm
disagree with above posters. many chasidish people want to educate their kids and dont have a frum outlet. many watch kosher dvd, cds and if its done like the uncle moishy I bet there will be people who will buy them. there is this type of chasidish that are being more openminded. so there is a chance it will take up. if its done tastfully and with a kosher pictures.
I needed something like this this year for my son that changed chadarim from a low key in english like you described and went to soemthing high functioning.

I had to get hooked on phonics and its non jewish. if you know what I mean. it had a non jewish taste and non jewish music. I would have been much happier to use a kosher version. but realize that it needs music. or it will be boring. and it wont take well. it needs a catchy tune.

if you can look at hooked on phonics program for learning how to read and do that in a kosher version then you have done a lot! I will give you a lot of credit. bec a lot of our kids are doing poorly in english and this is a great program.

I sent ds to a tutor and they werent able to get as much done as this program. this program has been used for many years and has professionals that worked to make it as great as it is. so I am intrigued to see what you can come up with. go for it. you might do pretty well. I encourage it!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:47 pm
tell me which chaider doesnt learn english at all. everyone does but its not a good program and the teachers have no clue what they are doing. I mean the real chasidish. no naming. hameivin yavin. its mandatory. so they all learn. and if its abc they dont really need to know english, if its the alphabets then why would they need a lot of english? no dont do it in yiddish it defeats the purpose. if its done well it will go. speak to some professionals in english reading and get a feel for the program. like hooked on phonics. there are many others. do your research and see what you can get.

Deep

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:51 pm
I believe that the vast majority (if not all) chassidishe chedarim teach English at that age. Most start in Kitteh beis or gimmel. Kitteh daled (age 7-8) is the latest that I know of.

Deep

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:02 pm
If you want to generate more responses, add Chassidish to your title. Personally, I feel that there are so many high quality mainstream phonics programs that are geared towards young children. The animation, pictures and music are very "kosher"; it's meant for 5 year olds! Anyone who would have a problem using something like Hooked on Phonics, is not likely to use any dvd program. Even if it uses a Menorah for M...

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:05 pm
[quote="Deep"] [b]Even if it uses a Menorah for M...[/quote][/b]

your being ridiculous! seriously do you have any understanding of chasidim or frum jews?

I wont argue about the music that hooked on phonics has. have you seen them? I guess I am speaking to someone that has no understanding of my world.

[b]please post in chasidishe velt,[/b] you will get better and more undestanding of what your looking for.

Deep

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:11 pm
Proud Viznitzer Chassidiste here! And yes, I even wear a hat on my sheitel! The op asked for advice, and I shared my constructive critique. People who would use a dvd program, generally would have no problem with mainstream children's products. Those who would not use mainstream products are not likely to use any dvd program at all. There might be some who fall between the two groups, but it would not be advisable to produce a product for such a minuscule market.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:19 pm
I will disagree. there are plenty of chasidish people who allow such stuff. uncle moishy or twins from france. so I think this would be a good shot. there are plenty of chasidish that are not so right wing. I can name them, munkatch, boyan, and many more. there are two more I forgot their names in brooklyn. no the type you describe wouldnt but there are others that would.

and I happen to know some viznitz that do too. I guess keeping it shushed up. ok so maybe a cd of the alphabets would be great. obviously if it comes with a book it would be a lot more helpful. and I would try to make it as kosher as possible. the dvd is a lot better then cd. seeing the letters helps them identify and they associate it better.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:21 pm
[quote="Deep"][b] such a minuscule market[/b].[/quote]

the market is growing. its not as small as it was in the past. and its growing constantly

Rutabaga

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:22 pm
IBR, I wish you the best of luck in your worthy endeavor!

I don't know enough about the chassidish community to advise you, but I think you would do better to advertise your product if you post with proper spelling and correct grammar. If you don't, then why should people trust that you will teach their children properly?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics