Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
AMA about Tosh
1  2  3  Next

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 10:57 pm
I started a spinoff because wanted anonymity
Ask me anything about Tosh. I married the real stuff Toshe

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:06 pm
Life as a Tosher for me is about traveling for every yom tov or special shabbos. We don't live in Tosh. The traveling can be tough sometimes.
The previous Tosher Rebbe looked like an angel to me. When I got married I was new to this whole Rebbe business despite being chassidish. (Chassidish without a Rebbe). Being able to see the Rebbe was enough of a push for me to pack n travel. I can never explain the feeling of standing in his room

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:10 pm
What does real stuff mean?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:16 pm
Is it true that Toshers (I hope thats a correct expression) are not permitted to read any secular publications or listen to or read any news of the outside world?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
Is it true that Toshers (I hope thats a correct expression) are not permitted to read any secular publications or listen to or read any news of the outside world?

I read whatever I want. Not sure about this. But you probably mean to ask about the people who live in Tosh, Boisbriand. I have stayed in a few houses and have seen lots of different reading material. I am not sure if rules exist about reading material

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
What does real stuff mean?

Husband s family are very strong chassidim. Not just on occasion

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
I read whatever I want. Not sure about this. But you probably mean to ask about the people who live in Tosh, Boisbriand. I have stayed in a few houses and have seen lots of different reading material. I am not sure if rules exist about reading material

Yes I understand that it was one of the rules of the community, along with unmarried women being forbidden to drive and all conversations about reproduction being forbidden.

chickpea_salad

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:13 am
Hey thanks for this.

I would love to know what thing your chassidus is based on, obviously Kiryas Tash is a secluded place but what about those who live in Montreal or in NY? What defines you?

sourstix

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:17 am
Do you find that you are just as restricted as for instance skvere?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:20 am
sourstix wrote:
Do you find that you are just as restricted as for instance skvere?

Me personally definitely not. Being Tosh never restricted my husband's family. It's more about getting a bracha from a very heilige Rebbe whom we respect
If you're asking me to compare the Tosh Boisbriand community to Skvere, here goes. Tosh does not have so many rules of restriction as skver although they are secluded in their own place
The previous Rebbe was easygoing about additional minyanim if needed for elderly etc. And so is today's Tosher Rebbe. Which this is a big no no in skver.
In Tosh they dont control people's lives every step of every day
I have a family member who lives there and isn't really a chassid. He likes the town. This wouldn't happen in Skver

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:23 am
chickpea_salad wrote:
Hey thanks for this.

I would love to know what thing your chassidus is based on, obviously Kiryas Tash is a secluded place but what about those who live in Montreal or in NY? What defines you?

Our minhagim. For example they wear a large kapple. There is an expression a Tosher Kapple. It covers a lot of the head

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:45 am
I have relatives in tosh, went there for many yomim Tovim as a kid. But I would not know to specify what defines them.... the large kappel is indeed one thing, other than that dunno what they are different than other chasidus.. of course the previous Rebbe was like a malach. I still treasure the memories of his tishen and hakoffos.

chickpea_salad

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:10 pm
What other minhagim do you have? What is your Pesach like? I see Kiryas Tash has a Hatzola, do you do a lot of medical chesed? Do you have Tosher doctors? Are women mostly SAHMs?

How many Tosher Hasidim are there outside of KT?

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:37 pm
I had a friend once who wanted a bracha from the rebbe in tosh. this was at least 10 years ago. She told me that she paid an insane amount of money to get it.
Do you think that was true and if so does that still go on? Do tosh chasidim also have to pay that much or just the outsiders?

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:50 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I had a friend once who wanted a bracha from the rebbe in tosh. this was at least 10 years ago. She told me that she paid an insane amount of money to get it.
Do you think that was true and if so does that still go on? Do tosh chasidim also have to pay that much or just the outsiders?

As I wrote on the other thread, I am not a Tosher, but I live in Montreal. Your friend was probably trying to get in to the Rebbe ztz''l during the time when his health was precarious and moments of complete lucidity were rare. There is no price for a visit with the present Rebbe (except for a standard pidyon). There was also never a price to see the previous Rebbe during his long years of good health.
The Rebbe ztz''l often asked wealthy individuals to contribute to his many tzedakka causes. The Rebbe was known to distribute huge amounts of money to the needy, often leaving nothing for his own household. His gabbaim would try to rein in his "spending", so he would find ways to bypass them. There is the well known story of the time he closed the door to his office, removed a wad of cash from his shoe and handed it over to a flabbergasted yid...

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:00 pm
chickpea_salad wrote:
What other minhagim do you have? What is your Pesach like? I see Kiryas Tash has a Hatzola, do you do a lot of medical chesed? Do you have Tosher doctors? Are women mostly SAHMs?

How many Tosher Hasidim are there outside of KT?

I'm so sorry. I really don't know. We don't live in Tosh and we travel a few times a year there. But my father-in-law is a very strong Tosher chassid. But that wouldnt help answer your specific questions about the Tosher shtetl
They seem nice and inviting and the doctors are Montreal doctors who come by on yom tov or they go to Montreal
Women are mostly SAHM from the ones I know except for some teachers and a few in house stores. Many of them bake and cook stuff at home and sell it in the grocery. It,s my favorite part of visiting to see all their homemade baked goods and dips displayed on the grocery shelves with their names on it.
A lot of their economy depends on renting out their homes to visitors like us. They move in with relatives and rent out their homes to visitors.
I don't know many chassidim outside of Tosh

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:07 pm
There is a small Tosh community in Montreal (more have been moving in recently) and they have their own shul. Their children generally attend Satmar schools, so I would say that their hashkafah is most closely aligned with that of Satmar. The seminary aged girls in Tosh actually travel in daily to attend the Satmar seminary. I know some women from Tosh who teach in the Belz and Skvere schools.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:22 pm
Hi all, I'm actually a really tosher so can help out with all your question.

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:48 pm
Hi Beige! When I see the Tosh women on the streets of Montreal, there seems to be a very strong bond between them. Is the community like that? Also, what do you think of us city folk?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:54 pm
Well I guess so ,we know each other see in grocery , send in the same mosdos ,yenta in park together ( if u want)etc.
I don't know to many ppl from montreal maybe some by face .
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics