Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Public schools in Queens, NY?
1  2  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 8:57 pm
I'm wondering if people could help me. Currently, my kids are enrolled in a yeshiva for pre-k and kindergarten. I'm very excited for them, but by next year, the tuition will double (since prek is UPK and almost free). I was reading on this forum how much people pay for tuition each year for each child and it's just insane. I want the best for my kids, but we don't make enough money to pay for tuition (and I hear even those that make over $100,000 isn't enough!) I told my husband we should move to Israel, but at the moment, he doesn't think it's a good idea because we don't even have money saved in order for us to move. So he thinks by the year 2017 we should look at public schools in our area. I think we're in district 25 in Queens. Anyone know of good public schools in this area? My husband also thinks that if we send them to public schools, I can teach them hebrew, he can teach them torah. But we'd still want them to be in some sort of judaic classes with other kids for after school programs..do they even have these things? or just private tutors? I'm a bit scared about sending them to public schools because I don't want them to go off the derech when they're older. So please give me some positive encouragement. Are there any people out there that sent their kids to public schools and the kids still grew up religious?

mamaof2

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 9:06 pm
I'm sure there's some yeshivas that will take them for free

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 9:18 pm
mamaof2 wrote:
I'm sure there's some yeshivas that will take them for free

I don't think there's any yeshiva that could take kids for free... I wish they could.

cnc

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 9:21 pm
Can you afford to pay anything at all? Even a minimal amount? If so, maybe try a kiruv yeshiva.

miami85

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 9:35 pm
If you live in Queens, speak to Chazaq. They are trying to make sure that no Jewish child goes to public school. Perhaps they can help you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 9:37 pm
cnc wrote:
Can you afford to pay anything at all? Even a minimal amount? If so, maybe try a kiruv yeshiva.

Right now we're paying almost $12000 a year. Both my parents and my husband's dad actually contributed some money for the tuition. So we definitely can't go over this amount for next year...we can barely pay this amount. What do you mean by "kiruv yeshiva"?

icebreaker

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:01 pm
I've heard PS201 is an okay school. It's in the middle of NYCHA housing complex though. Very diverse.

I don't know if PS200 is in district 25 but it's a good school.

There's also PS/MS164 which I believe is good too and close to Main Street and Jewel Ave (if you're around that area).

And there's also PS165 which is also close to Main Street and Jewel Ave.

miami85

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
Right now we're paying almost $12000 a year. Both my parents and my husband's dad actually contributed some money for the tuition. So we definitely can't go over this amount for next year...we can barely pay this amount. What do you mean by "kiruv yeshiva"?

Can you speak to Yeshiva Primary. They are a kiruv school aimed at helping kids avoid public school. They are on Union Turnpike near Hillcrest.

mamaof2

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:11 pm
Beer hagolah in Queens is not expensive. It's a kiruv yeshivsh

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:17 pm
mamaof2 wrote:

Where is it in Queens? I googled it and found a location in Brooklyn.

mamaof2

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:21 pm
Sry it's next to queen's . It's in starret city butttt they have transportation to queens

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 11:01 pm
mamaof2 wrote:

be'er hagolah is in brooklyn. they take anyone and you pay only what you can. I know of a family that spend $2500 to send there for high school. Full tuition for elementary is $10,000 but they get a lot of public and private grants and funding. I don't know how good the school is, but I'm taking a chance on them with one child next year who isn't succeeding anywhere else.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
be'er hagolah is in brooklyn. they take anyone and you pay only what you can. I know of a family that spend $2500 to send there for high school. Full tuition for elementary is $10,000 but they get a lot of public and private grants and funding. I don't know how good the school is, but I'm taking a chance on them with one child next year who isn't succeeding anywhere else.

I don't know anything about this school. Let me know how it goes since I might consider for next year.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 11:40 pm
I second chazaq. I heard them say that they are trying to help get Jewish kids into Jewish schools, and I know yeshiva primary is a kiruv school but it's better than sending to public school and cost very little compared to other yeshivas.

. did you see the advertisements up about these schools such that they are charging very little money to help families avoid sending to public schools. These are kiruv schools.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 11:58 pm
If you want to homeschool, try this online homeschooling program.

http://www.room613.net/members/room613

Quote:
Tuition and Course Fees, 2016-17

Yearly tuition for open access to all courses on the main schedule is $1800 per family. This covers a full academic year of learning, Monday through Thursday each week from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. (There are no classes during the summer.) The main schedule of classes is taught by Rabbi Yosef Resnick, and provides a comprehensive foundation in Jewish studies, with each class tailored and instruction differentiated for the specific students enrolled.

Early childhood and other specialty classes are not part of the main schedule and are registered for separately.

Tuition is charged per family, not per child. For one fee, the whole family may take advantage of any and all classes on the main schedule throughout the year.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:34 am
amother wrote:
I second chazaq. I heard them say that they are trying to help get Jewish kids into Jewish schools, and I know yeshiva primary is a kiruv school but it's better than sending to public school and cost very little compared to other yeshivas.

. did you see the advertisements up about these schools such that they are charging very little money to help families avoid sending to public schools. These are kiruv schools.

I do wonder how good these kiruv schools are if they don't cost as much. I don't want to just send them to any jewish school if it's cheaper. I also need to make sure they're getting excellent secular studies not just the jewish studies.

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
I do wonder how good these kiruv schools are if they don't cost as much. I don't want to just send them to any jewish school if it's cheaper. I also need to make sure they're getting excellent secular studies not just the jewish studies.

As someone who knows people in this field, I can't vouch 100% but I do know that they clientele that they are aiming at cares greatly about the secular education--which is why they send to public schools in the first place, I think they rely heavily on fundraising which is how they get the cheaper rates.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:39 am
call Yeshiva Primary.
Ask to speak to Rabbi Deutscher, he is a wonderful man who has made it his mission to put jewish children in yeshiva.
(718) 217-4700

if that doesn't work, I would call Chazaq.
(718) 285-9132

best of luck.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:39 am
miami85 wrote:
As someone who knows people in this field, I can't vouch 100% but I do know that they clientele that they are aiming at cares greatly about the secular education--which is why they send to public schools in the first place, I think they rely heavily on fundraising which is how they get the cheaper rates.

I agree. I know that the promotional literature for be'er hagolah talk about the careers and fields the students go into after graduation and they're always raving about those who become doctors, cpas, etc.

Their written curriculum is excellent, too, but of course something can look great on paper and then fail in its execution so this all remains to be seen for me...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:37 pm
The Kiruv schools like Be'er Hagola have big donors. There is a fabulously wealthy Jewish man who is funding Be'er Hagola. I know this because I have a friend who is a principal of one local Kiruv school in Queens.

At one point, they did not charge tuition altogether. But then some of the kids were out of control and the parents didn't care, because it was free. Once they started charging tuition, then the parents who didn't care stopped sending their kids to Yeshiva, and the schools became much more manageable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children