Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does it COST you to work?
1  2  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:00 am
The question says it all.
For me- per month- $2000 usd for babysitter- I need to have someone in my house due to my hours and number of kids needing childcare.
$500 per month for private transportation since I can't do car pool because I work during the morning and afternoon carpool times.
So for me that's $2500/month to make it possible for me to work. Just curious how it works for others? (I work full time plus, as I'm a manager and things always crop up that need taking care of)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:07 am
I actually turned down a good job because of this and now I'm working very part time. My husband did the math: he said we would have to pay much more for the kids insurance, we would be in a higher tax bracket, pay for full time babysitting, gas, etc
At the end of the day I would be making pocket change.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
For me- per month- $2000 usd for babysitter- I need to have someone in my house due to my hours and number of kids needing childcare.
$500 per month for private transportation since I can't do car pool because I work during the morning and afternoon carpool times.
So for me that's $2500/month to make it possible for me to work. Just curious how it works for others? (I work full time plus, as I'm a manager and things always crop up that need taking care of)

$50 a month for on and off transportation.
$1200 a year for extra childcare here and there so let's call that $100 a month.
$600 a year for extra clothing so let's call that $50 a month.
$100 a month for 2 hours of cleaning om Friday which I didn't used to need when I didn't work on Friday.

So I guess that makes it $300 a month extra. Or $3,600 annually.

This is the cost of my working. My salary pays for tuition and rent.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:42 am
$2000 for babysitting (2 kids full time)
$200 for extended hours at school for older DC

My take home after these expenses is about $1300.

amazingmommy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 11:00 am
420 a month for babysitting

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 11:13 am
$2200 for housekeeper/babysitter
$150/month for gas for my commute
Broken down monthly, about $100/month on wardrobe
And a whole bunch of intangibles, like time with my kids, energy, sanity, etc.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 11:20 am
$700 / month childcare (babysitting for 1 child)

Sometimes I need to buy takeout or hire some back-up help if I'm working around a big deadline, but that's not often.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 2:16 pm
My big question of the day too.
Childcare, (babysitter, after school care)
Transportation
Wardrobe upgrade and maintenance
Convenience food
Cleaning help

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 3:04 pm
I pay a little over 2k/month on full time day care for my toddler. But BH my take home is more than that

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:05 pm
A lot which can't be calculated in money....
Patience for the kids!
Energy for the kids!
Scrumptious time consuming meals!
Healthy nutrious snacks for recess!
A more rested mom!
So on and so forth...
(Really it's just the begining of the school year which makes me feel very guilty that I went back to work and then the feeling settle in)

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:19 pm
It used to cost more but now that my both need to be in school anyway, that's not a work-related cost.
$116 a month metrocard.
This year DH is working more and less able to offer support at home so I intend to spend more on things like cleaning help that I never bothered with before. Not too much and I found a very efficient worker so figure maybe $80 a month at most.
I will need after school care for one child once a week so I figure that will be an additional $50 or so per month.
I'm self-employed so I have a bunch of related costs like supplies but that's business expenses, I'm focusing on personal costs here.
So roughly $300 for a part-time job.

Right now there's a lot of stress, lost sleep, etc but as 3232 mentioned above I think that will all settle down as we get into the school year routine. It's hard having the whole family start new things at the same time. DH just got a new job, I'm first going back to school-year work (I worked during the summer too but in a different place and position so it's still a big transition), and of course the kids back to school, both with schedule changes (one moving from nursery to big school, one moving from the preschool part of big school to first grade with a different setup and schedule and everything)

chica

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
I actually turned down a good job because of this and now I'm working very part time. My husband did the math: he said we would have to pay much more for the kids insurance, we would be in a higher tax bracket, pay for full time babysitting, gas, etc
At the end of the day I would be making pocket change.

This is exactly why I don't work. I'd have to pay approx 2000 a month for child care (plus someone to take my kids to and from school.)
These ones have to do with the taxes/benefits in my country (not us):
Our income bracket would go up so we'd pay a lot more in taxes.
We'd get a lot less child care benefits.

Perhaps our math is completely off. But right now it doesn't seem to make sense for us.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 5:39 pm
Between $120- $150 gas for commute per month
New brakes and tires every year due to commute so split up that's appx $100 per month
My only indulgence is $30/week I pay a sem girl to iron all the uniforms I have no time for so that's $120/month
No cleaning help; dh doesn't work so not necessary, and kids are all in school while I work so no childcare expenses B"H.
Work attire expenses not more than abt $25 per month

Grand monthly total cost for me to work = about $350- $400

nursemomma

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 7:17 pm
About $550/month childcare (last year was close to $800), about $65 transportation.
Clothing and cleaning help I would probably spend the same amount anyway (only extra help around pesach time might not have been necessary).

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 7:23 pm
Not sure work costs me anything. I would want a car and cleaning help and weekday clothes whether I worked or not.

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 7:36 pm
What kids of daycare is 2000 a month

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:

Why did I get a hug ??

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 8:04 pm
I have a long commute, so $40/week for gas and about $30/week tolls. I wouldn't know how to calculate wear and tear on the car. My husband is a sAHD so no babysitting fees. I don't buy extra fancy clothes for work.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 8:17 pm
Babysitting 800 a month. After hours for two other kids 320 a month. I dont commute to work I am lucky to work a five minute walk from work. 150 for clothing and random conveniences that I wouldnt need if I wasnt working. Total monthly is 1270.

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 8:43 pm
DH is a work at home dad so we don't pay babysitting. I might do a bit more drop off babysitting this year so I have budgeted about $50 a week. I work very close to home so we have one car and its related expenses. I come home with a lot more energy then when I had a longer commute so little household help or takeout. The downside is that if I wanted to reverse most of those positives I could make a fair amount more money. I feel like I can't win.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics