Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Are you already booked for meals during the chagim?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:48 pm
I am just now beginning to make plans for the chagim.

DH said that he thinks that people's plans are already made and that we are very late to be inviting people.

Is this true? I know that many people have a "usual" plan for Rosh Hashanah dinners, but, other than that, have you all made your plans for sukkot meals already?

cm

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:01 pm
No firm plans for Sukkot yet, but we usually get together with certain people for a meal, date to be determined.

It certainly is not too late for invitations, but don't be surprised if some families already have "usual" plans, which are more common for holidays than on a regular Shabbat.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:04 pm
There are definitely people with plans and definitely many people without plans. It is always flattering to get an invitation, so invite people and I am sure some will be available. If It makes your feel better we have no plans yet.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:05 pm
Surely you jest. I haven't even invited anyone for RH yet. Although come to think of it, I don't invite folks for RH because the local shuls get out all over the map time wise, making it very difficult to settle on a time to tell people to show up if they daven elsewhere. By the time my shul gets out most people are halfway through their meal.

Go ahead and invite people. Worst that can happen is they say they're booked, but what of it? At least they'll know you wanted to have them over. Best that can happen is they accept and a good time is had by all.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:17 pm
Lol. Haven't invited anyone for rh yet. No one has invited me either. Well see what happens.

agreer

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:17 pm
I'm booked for Sukkos b/c I'm having guests from out of town. Other than that, I don't know.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:18 pm
Haven't made plans past Rosh Hashana yet.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:19 pm
It's amazing how far ahead people plan. Yes, we have our plans locked down through the end of Simchas Torah. Crazy but in this community if you don 't plan ahead you spend meals alone (not the worst thing, but we enjoy hosting and going out as well).

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:51 pm
Thanks for the responses! One other question - how "booked" do you allow yourselves to be? On YT I don't like having guests or being guests for every meal. I like to be with company for two meals on a two day chag.

Do you limit the number of meals you share with others?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:17 pm
Yes.... Lunches we are always host or guest but dinners are mostly alone since it's a bit difficult so late with young kids. I won't go anywhere for dinners and only host close family if anyone at all.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:50 pm
cm wrote:
No firm plans for Sukkot yet, but we usually get together with certain people for a meal, date to be determined.

It certainly is not too late for invitations, but don't be surprised if some families already have "usual" plans, which are more common for holidays than on a regular Shabbat.

This. And I invited all the usual a today.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:58 pm
what chagim ... it's summertime [in the city]

cm

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
Do you limit the number of meals you share with others?

Yes! We prefer to have evening meals just us, at home.

Also, we prefer not to have guests two days in a row.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:16 pm
cm wrote:
Yes! We prefer to have evening meals just us, at home.

Also, we prefer not to have guests two days in a row.

Exactly the same here.

eschaya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:19 pm
We have our guests for 3/4 meals, and are going out the other one.
For my part, I like to invite early so that when I plan my meals and start cooking, I know who I'm cooking for (ie; don't want to have my menu planned out only to realize we're having a vegetarian or gluten free guest)

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 1:07 pm
Thanks for all of your responses. I also prefer to be just with family for dinner and to have guests for lunch only.

The exception is RH when we have two huge dinners at our house. I declined RH lunch invites because it's just too much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics