Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Question from the Muslim at the debate
1  2  Next

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:00 pm
There was a question posed from a Muslim woman at the debate asking the candidates how they will help peaceful Muslims like herself cope with Islamophobia on the rise. Both candidates gave bad answers although predictably Hillary gave the better politically correct and rehearsed answer. I just wanted to vent and give the honest answer here:

As long as absurd percentages of Muslims in Muslim majority countries have dangerous ideologies and wish harm to America and other non Muslim countries, there will always be Islamophobia. It would be dishonest for a single person reading this to say that they would feel equally comfortable on a plane full of Muslims as on a plane full of non Muslims. That is Islamophobia. It's justified and will NEVER change until so many Muslims stop trying to destroy us.

Sadie

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:25 pm
I'm not afraid to be on a plane full of Muslims.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:29 pm
Sadie wrote:

I am. Since 9/11 I am afraid on the subway too. I promise you I am not the only one.

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:32 pm
Your unfortunately right. That being said we still can't wead out the bad from the innocent. Telling Americans that we will not allow any muslims here can be very dangerous to freedom which America is and stands for, that being said we will pay a price to continue with this in any way we will pay a price no matter what we will do. But Americans are not willing to give up their freedoms. For that America will fight. (I hope so)
Ps the next target is Jews. And that's just mvho. Jews are always the target. When it gets bad enough for any of the nations of the world Jews are the culprit. And it looks already that way. Muslims think Jews or anyone else not like them should be wiped off. The religious ones are busy in their fight and are fighting the free world as well. And somehow the Jews get punished for that as well.
America is still the best for Jews. So we can't just tell all muslims "no entry" how can we not be afraid that we will be the next?

Sadie

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:36 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I am. Since 9/11 I am afraid on the subway too. I promise you I am not the only one.

I didn't say that no one else was afraid. But OP said that everyone reading must admit that they're afraid or they're being dishonest. Just pointing out that that's not true.

All of my flights are always filled with Muslims. I am afraid to fly but it's because I'm afraid of mechanical failure and dropping out of the sky. Not terrorism.

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:37 pm
Sadie wrote:

Would you be unafraid vacationing in Muslim majority countries and professing your love for America while there? I suspect you'd be very careful what you'd say around those people. You'd be plenty afraid.

Sadie

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:39 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Would you be unafraid vacationing in Muslim majority countries and professing your love for America while there? I suspect you'd be very careful what you'd say around those people. You'd be plenty afraid.

I have vacationed in Muslim countries and I don't really love America so I had no problem in that regard. In all cases when in a foreign country it's good to get the lay of the land and comport yourself accordingly.

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:40 pm
People talking about "Muslims" as a monolithic group surprise me. What do Nigerians, Indonesians, Saudis, Crimean Tatars, Malaysians, Chechens, Iranians, and Bosnians have in common materially?

justmarried

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:47 pm
Sadie wrote:
I have vacationed in Muslim countries and I don't really love America so I had no problem in that regard. In all cases when in a foreign country it's good to get the lay of the land and comport yourself accordingly.

America is the best country there has ever been for Jews. What exactly about it don't you love?

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:49 pm
sequoia wrote:
People talking about "Muslims" as a monolithic group surprise me. What do Nigerians, Indonesians, Saudis, Crimean Tatars, Malaysians, Chechens, Iranians, and Bosnians have in common materially?

What they have in common is that in general terms Muslims support violence and terrorism against non Muslims in higher percentages than any other group in the world. Since Islam is the fastest growing religion, and in 70 years will total more than 50% of the worlds population, this is a concern as it threatens our very existence.

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:51 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
What they have in common is that in general terms Muslims support violence and terrorism against non Muslims in higher percentages than any other group in the world. Since Islam is the fastest growing religion, and in 70 years will total more than 50% of the worlds population, this is a concern as it threatens our very existence.

How are general terms helpful? For instance, what do you know specifically about Crimean Tatars or their history?

Sadie

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:55 pm
justmarried wrote:
America is the best country there has ever been for Jews. What exactly about it don't you love?

Do you love everything about America? There are some things that I love and some things that I hate, it's just the idea of me going to a Muslim country and zipping my hoodie over my crying bald eagle tshirt to avoid getting beheaded is just not a situation I ever expect to find myself in.

I live in Israel and I sometimes do become a real patriotic American when I get terrible customer service, or when I get shoved and elbowed trying to get on the 405 to Tel Aviv.

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:10 pm
sequoia wrote:
How are general terms helpful? For instance, what do you know specifically about Crimean Tatars or their history?

I don't know anything about Crimean Tatars. General terms are helpful so that we can profile and apply resources to general populations that we know are more dangerous than others. In the same way that you wouldn't let your children walk at night in bad neighborhoods even if you don't know a single person living there, However, you know the reputation of the neighborhood, many people consider the reputations of Muslim people as a whole.

marina

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:21 pm
I think Israeli imamothers should weigh in here. From what I know, people in Israel are much less petrified of ALL Muslims than people in the US.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:34 pm
Normal people in the US aren't petrified of Muslims either.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 5:04 pm
I grew up in New York with a Pakistani family next door who was Muslim.

My brother was best friends with their son until they were about 4-5. They always played together. The rest of us didn't have much to do with them but we were always on very friendly terms.

There's plenty more like them. No, I was not afraid.

Now I live in Israel. Palestinian Muslims - I usually am not scared, though I definitely am on guard. Unless one of them looks at me with unbridled hatred, or it's right after a terror attack, or they're acting suspiciously - I just mind my own business and they mind theirs.

But honestly there are so many different sects and varieties and types of Muslims, from all types of backgrounds and regions and viewpoints, it would be like lumping an extreme Neturei Karta guy who yells 'Nazi' to an IDF soldier while lighting a garbage can on fire and having traveled to Iran a month before to hold up banners by a Holocaust denial conference, together with an affluent, liberal Reform Jew from Manhattan with a Phd in sociology in the same category of "all Jews..." (Pardon the stereotypes.) There's no way to make a general statement.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 7:04 pm
Milo Yiannopolis is Livestreaming on the Muslim subject, right now.

Just go to YouTube.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 7:56 pm
I think we're getting off topic. The Muslim at the debate asked what each candidate will do to fight Islamophobia. The answer is that so long as a disproportionate percentage of Muslims are involved in terror attacks and have dangerous ideologies, the world will always be suspicious of them. Does anyone disagree? Does anyone believe that fanatical Muslims can be involved in attacks all over the world and the world won't judge the Muslims together and be suspicious of them all?

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 9:12 pm
I think some profiling may be necessary, but not by everyone everywhere.

It's sad to me how many people here want nothing to do with any Muslims. You're missing out on getting to know some good people.

I don't like it any more than if someone assumes all Jews are like the few that have gone vigilante.

Yes, the numbers are different, but that's not the point. The point is that we need to strike a balance between weeding out the bad guys, and closing doors on truly good ones.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 6:41 am
With all the guns in the US, I would be just as afraid that the middle aged white man across the room might be having a bad day and pull out an automatic gun and start shooting. (or teenage boy...or anyone. Seems to me that only a small percentage of mass killings are done by muslims)

The israelis I know mostly have no problem flying on Turkish Airlines, for example.

Also Islamaphobia can often translate into hatred of anyone with dark skin. After 911, a sikh man was killed. Lots of Jews might meet look muslim to the average ignorant hate filled racist.

Obviously profiling might be necessary in certain situations. I think worldwide airport security could take some lessons from Israeli airport security.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics