Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please solve a debate
Previous  1  2

Do you and/or your children know the Jewish holidays in order?
I do and my children do  
 91%  [ 119 ]
I do but my children don’t  
 8%  [ 11 ]
My children do but I don’t  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither my children nor I do  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 130

silverlining3

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:28 pm
Seems like I know my kids well. My almost 9 and 10 year old started off quick, and each of them mixed up 1, not the same, but when they saw something didn't make sense, they thought for a min and got it right.

My 4 year old knows some and not in the order.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:35 pm
My 4 year old didn't know. I prompted and he repeated.
I asked, do you know the yomim tovim? (Maybe he never heard of it plural) and he said yes shana tova tchusev.... Very Happy

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:42 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
The question is very clear. Do you and/or your kids know the yomim tovim in the order in which they occur throughout the year?

In the conversation I was having, one person said most people do, one said most people don’t.

Did one person claim that grown ups don't know the yomim tovim in order? Strange, it's not like the order ever changes so I'd expect an older child or adult to know the order simply because it comes by route.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:44 pm
Yes we all do and I assumed every kid that went through a yeshiva or BY system most definitely knows.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:45 pm
Does tu bshvat count?
One kid did with one without.

First grader forgot Chanukah but did when you shoot bows and arrows. And forgot shavous which is funny cause that’s when we have company.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:52 pm
I only have a baby, what do I vote?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:55 pm
I’m wondering if those that say their kids don’t know it… are you BTs? Does yontif have the same prominence in your house?
I’m genuinely asking because this wouldn’t occur to me. Of course my kids know yomim tovim, not even a question!

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:02 pm
Yomim Tovim are what Jewish life revolves around. I would like to think that anyone growing up in a jewish observant home is aware of the yomim tovim and the order they are in.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:02 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Did one person claim that grown ups don't know the yomim tovim in order? Strange, it's not like the order ever changes so I'd expect an older child or adult to know the order simply because it comes by route.

Yes that’s basically how the conversation went. That many older kids and grown ups don’t know the order. The conversation started because one person asked the other if they were cleaning out the fridge for pesach…..

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:23 pm
I answered yes, but the truth is I'm not sure if my 7 year old knows the order. She definitely knows about all the yamim tovim obviously but this kind of thing isn't her strong point.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:15 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Yes that’s basically how the conversation went. That many older kids and grown ups don’t know the order. The conversation started because one person asked the other if they were cleaning out the fridge for pesach…..

Sorry to be so blunt, but this sounds kind of pathetic for a frum Jew.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:30 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I answered yes, but the truth is I'm not sure if my 7 year old knows the order. She definitely knows about all the yamim tovim obviously but this kind of thing isn't her strong point.

My 7 year old still gets confused, and needed prompting, but my other three knew.

Golde

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:37 am
I assume my kids know, maybe the younger ones will mix up one of two. They're not here to ask now.
But I for sure know (like of course I do! How can you be a frum adult and not know this??? People check their calendar to see what the next chag is? While there might be a few people like this, I really, really doubt that is the norm. Most frum adults can list the holidays. Maybe the children aren't quite sure yet, but adults will know. )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics