Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you solve the Rubik’s Cube?
Previous  1  2

Can you solve the Rubik’s cube?
Yes  
 14%  [ 19 ]
No  
 85%  [ 110 ]
Total Votes : 129

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:24 am
singleagain wrote:
I never really tried but my understanding is that the middle squares the color that that side is supposed to be

Of course. The middle doesn’t move

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:26 am
My 12 year old sister caught on in a few days and is not getting frustrated how no one in the family seems to get it no matter how many times she tried to explain and show us
I think it can be added to the list of smarts Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:30 am
Thank you everyone!

So I definitely underestimated the difficulty… I gave myself an hour and learnt 4 steps. At eleven o’clock I went to sleep and dreamed of colored cubes Very Happy .

This morning I sipped my coffee and tried out my new skill, I’m almost fluent, getting stuck once in a while.

I must say that yesterday when I saw the poll, my confidence plummeted.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:32 am
The only reason I couldn't know is because I never really tried

scruffy

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone!

So I definitely underestimated the difficulty… I gave myself an hour and learnt 4 steps. At eleven o’clock I went to sleep and dreamed of colored cubes Very Happy .

This morning I sipped my coffee and tried out my new skill, I’m almost fluent, getting stuck once in a while.

I must say that yesterday when I saw the poll, my confidence plummeted.

It's not that hard to learn but it takes some time. You just need to memorize the sequence of steps

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 4:19 pm
I cant and my kids cant but want to. dh and I watched a tutorial but didnt have time to finish it and practice and understand it.

I'm curious, if your young child can do it in minutes, did they sit down and learn it? did someone teach it to them? or do they just somehow 'know' how to do it?

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 4:42 pm
Can someone explain fast and slow?
I have a daughter who’s supposedly very good with visual spatial and I’d love her to gain an expertise and feel good about herself.
What’s a good way for a kid to learn? Book or video?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 4:52 pm
The vast majority of people who can do it learned a specific method, either directly from someone else or a book or video. It doesn’t take a ton of skill to learn how to follow a list of steps. The people who truly figured out the whole thing on their own…wow, I’m impressed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 4:58 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
The vast majority of people who can do it learned a specific method, either directly from someone else or a book or video. It doesn’t take a ton of skill to learn how to follow a list of steps. The people who truly figured out the whole thing on their own…wow, I’m impressed.

I just read that the man who invented the cube (professor of architecture Ernő Rubik) spent a month figuring out how to solve it!

scruffy

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:40 am
I was reading Between Carpools' list of most popular posts from this year and thought of this thread.

https://betweencarpools.com/so.....cube/

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:44 am
amother Chambray wrote:
Can someone explain fast and slow?
I have a daughter who’s supposedly very good with visual spatial and I’d love her to gain an expertise and feel good about herself.
What’s a good way for a kid to learn? Book or video?

Video
Book will usually use the official terms which can be more confusing for a little kid
Like I said before, it’s actually really really simple. You just need to memorize the algorithm
Now, speed solving, THAT is cool
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics