Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Solve a disagreement... vaping
Previous  1  2  3  4

How many of your kids vape or smoke? Ages 12-21?
None  
 87%  [ 149 ]
1-2  
 10%  [ 17 ]
2-3  
 1%  [ 3 ]
4 or more  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 170

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:50 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
My filter is only allowing the first link, are all links for vaping cannabis?
Is just a flavor also harmful?

Cannabis or tobacco. Technically just a flavor isn't harmful but most boys end up trying tobacco ones too and unfortunately, many of them try cannabis as well. It's nuts.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:02 am
I live in the 5 towns and we are a yeshivish family. My oldest son started and then my youngest. Vaping tobacco products or CBD/THC products are totally different. My sons do the drug. I’m heartbroken. But they didn’t always fit in in yeshiva and this made them feel
Cool I guess. I’m heartbroken

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:36 am
amother Topaz wrote:
Cannabis or tobacco. Technically just a flavor isn't harmful but most boys end up trying tobacco ones too and unfortunately, many of them try cannabis as well. It's nuts.

Thank you.

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:42 am
amother Daphne wrote:
Now you are scaring me. How can I find out?

There is nothing to be afraid of , just talk straight say you want to help him understand the severity of vaping. It’s neither an aveira or against the law but it is extremely deleterious to one’s health and the lung injury maybe quick and permanent.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:53 am
People may think their son's aren't vaping but they really are
My yeshivish son, 14, in America (saying that Bec someone asked us to write US or Israel) was in a van being driven to sleepaway camp, and he said that EVERY boy other than him and one other, vaped at some point during the drive.
I shared the nachas with the mother of the other boy so she could be proud he resisted temptation and peer pressure, and she said, "wow, thank you for telling me. I wouldn't have dreamed boys really are vaping!"
My son overheard and told me later, "Ma, her older son vaped in camp..."

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:34 pm
The boys are start vaping in middle school, its a big business amoung the boys. People are really clueless.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
My 2 young adults smoke ds19, 20
And ds 15 vapes occasionally
It bothers me so much
Don’t know how I went so wrong

It’s not you who has gone wrong. It’s the rebbeim who encourage drinking and don’t discourage smoking and vaping. “Oh don’t worry, this should be the worst thing he does, everyone smokes/vapes/drinks, it’s not such a big deal.” Yea, until your the mother or wife dealing with the repercussions.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:44 pm
https://rebgershonribner.com/w.....ing-0

Just one perspective here, expressing the view that "the yeshivaleit" ignore smoking/vaping while "the baalebatim" make a big deal.

I realize this is one rav and doesn't necessarily represent a majority of his community.

In fairness, he also says that any bochur smoking is doing the wrong thing and he is only addressing the chinuch question of how parents react.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Topaz wrote:

Nicotine is also involved, which is very addictive in addition to the other issues.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:59 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I live in the 5 towns and we are a yeshivish family. My oldest son started and then my youngest. Vaping tobacco products or CBD/THC products are totally different. My sons do the drug. I’m heartbroken. But they didn’t always fit in in yeshiva and this made them feel
Cool I guess. I’m heartbroken

I'm so sorry. I can relate,and perhaps I can also offer some hope.

My family is Lakewood Yeshivish. I have 1 older teen ds who struggled in cheder - with learning, not socially, but he really felt bad about himself. I don't know when he started to smoke and vape. It only became obvious when we were locked down at the beginning of Covid. I know he vaped a lot then and used tremendous self control not to actually smoke in the house. Anyway, he switched to a more chilled and supportive mesivta for 11th grade, where I was sure (and terrified) that it would get worse. In this yeshiva, the boys vape and smoke publicly, even with rebbeim present.

Maybe this was what my son needed, because the thrill or whatever it was disappeared. He didn't stop completely, but then he got a cold with a lingering cough and he was done. Boruch Hashem.
I think it was a combination of feeling accepted and simply maturing that allowed him to take this step.
My husband and I spoke a lot about the dangers of smoking and vaping when ds was younger, so it was particularly horrifying to us when we realized he was doing it. Also, we knew we were not in a position then to do anything about it. I'm sure that everything we had said was somewhere in his brain and, when he was comfortable and mature enough, he was able to act on it.

May your sons also get past this issue quickly!

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Peony wrote:
haredi light

This is the sector I see it in most (other than secular).
It is very common among younger charedim, especially the ones who aren't serious learners.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:58 pm
To answer the poll, I have one child in that age bracket (boy) and he told me some of the kids in his class smoke (they were doing it last year, in sixth grade).
I think one real cigarettes and another one or two electronic cigarettes, not sure.

I've seen little boys, as young as five or six, smoking around Purim. I think that's basically grooming them to be smokers when they grow up. We need to start putting adults who give kids cigarettes into jail for a night, that would solve the problem in a jiffy.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:10 pm
My son is in a Lakewood yeshivish mesivta and he says that there are a good number of boys who vape. He says its not the majority, but its a lot. THey call it their "piece" and it makes them feel cool. The hanhala are aware and its "against the rules" but they look away and "don't see" when they are doing it.

In his elementary school, no one vaped - at least around each other in school. But he says in other elementary schools they start in junior high, thats what the boys have told him.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
It is very common among younger charedim, especially the ones who aren't serious learners.

You realize your bumping an old thread?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:14 pm
its just as bad when adults smoke.
in my office (all frum) the two men will sit at our meetings and pass a vape back and forth.

its completely disgusting and RUDE.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:14 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
You realize your bumping an old thread?

2 months is not that bad and it's a pretty general topic not a dated one.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:

This is really a crazy statement. Do you know how many amazing bnei torah smoke or vape? It's not a reflection of their seriousness. I've made that mistake before too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 3:07 pm
amother Topaz wrote:

Nicotine is harder to quit than heroin. As told to me by a former heroin user who couldn't stop vaping. He said nicotine is absolutely addicting and terrible.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics