Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
How quickly can you solve an easy Sudoku puzzle?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:15 am
How quickly can you solve an easy Sudoku puzzle?

I can solve it in 8-10 minutes, but Websudoku (which I love, because you can put the number options in each cell) says Im slower than most.

Most Youtube tutorials are dizzying and hard to follow their reasoning.

How do you learn "tricks" for quicker solving?

Just One

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:55 am
Just tried. Took 2 minutes and 53 seconds. The best strategy is practice. It's about building the instinct.

I've never done well with tutorials but since I do one or two a day I've built up my skill. Usually do evil puzzles which take me 10 to 20 minutes on average.

Fave

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:58 am
Takes me about 3-4 minutes (easy level). Around 17 minutes if I do the expert level.

I’m addicted…..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:18 am
Am I "slow" if easy level Websudoku takes me 8 minutes?

I generally not slow.

Where can I pick up helpful tips to increase my speed?

silverlining3

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:23 am
I love sudoku. An easy one takes me less than 5 minutes. Though I don't have specific tricks, I do know that I start out with looking for the same numbers in 2 3x3 squares and try filling it in in the 3rd square, vertically and horizontally. I do so for all levels.

Tonight will time for exact minutes and try to be conscious of tricks. Or maybe not cuz it will take away my concentration? Lol

It's a lot practice makes perfect. I also believe that there are tricks. I can't solve all all difficult puzzles but I love the challenge.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:03 am
I have a highly educated relative who cant do it to save his life..

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:57 am
amother OP wrote:

It has nothing to do with education. It's logical thinking, which they don't teach in schools. I actually really like a particular Sudoku YouTube channel, and usually I can't learn skills from YouTube because I have to have someone show me; I can't just watch. I first noticed that during dance classes.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:

It can't really be taught, nothing to do with ho educated or how brilliant you are.
And don't be so hard on yourself in regards to how long it takes you. I do it to have fun and as a good outlet, not to test my speed

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:03 am
amother Bone wrote:
It can't really be taught, nothing to do with ho educated or how brilliant you are.
And don't be so hard on yourself in regards to how long it takes you. I do it to have fun and as a good outlet, not to test my speed

I just wonder if I can learn some skills to get quicker.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I just wonder if I can learn some skills to get quicker.

Maybe this will help?

Rosie89

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:14 am
I just played a game: I solved it in 4:17.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:18 am
2:14 just now on my sudoku app.
I usually do hard. 5-8 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:23 am
Iymnok wrote:
2:14 just now on my sudoku app.
I usually do hard. 5-8 minutes.

Were you always this quick?

Did any specific tools improve your speed?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Were you always this quick?

Did any specific tools improve your speed?

The timer on the side, and doing them all the time. There are patterns you start to notice that you can be sure enough that it’s the right number when the proof isn’t there.
Often it’s 15min.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 10:41 am
My score definitely got better with time. I just did an easy on that site and it took me 3 minutes and 3 seconds, but I also can do much harder levels in 5-10 minutes. For level easy, I think it just takes more practice. You are probably slower because you are putting in the number options. For level easy, the number options are really not necessary. The way I tackle an easy is go through the numbers from 1 to 10 and see any very obvious numbers that I can fill in. Then, I go back and see any boxes or rows/columns that are almost filled in and see if there are any obvious ones. Then I keep repeating until the puzzle is done. Not sure if that was clear.

Try doing one without the number options and see if you get better with that. For the harder levels, I found it most helpful to have someone in real life show me some basic tips and tricks. I play on my phone and sometimes I get stuck and they have a tutorial to show me what I missed. I definitely learned some new tips and tricks from that. I love teaching new players what to look for, I wish we knew each other in real life and I could work with you on improving.

On a side note, my sister got into sudoku's years ago and mastered these puzzles and was able to get to really high levels and do them fast. Interesting enough, she was always the one who struggled in school especially with math. I was not into them at the time and couldn't believe that she was so good at them as I still struggled with doing medium levels and I was always better at school than her especially with numbers. So now years later, I finally caught up to her and realized it is very much about how much you practice doing them. She dedicated a lot of time to doing them and now I do them quite a bit. My husband who is way smarter than me in every way can do them, but not as quick as me. I think if he did them more often, he would be faster than me.

So in short, it does take some brains, but patience and practicing is a big part of it. Also learning and implementing new tricks will get you farther in the harder levels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 10:52 am
amother Apple wrote:
Try doing one without the number options and see if you get better with that.

That'll be the day.

Thats why Im doubting my brain power. I rarely see definitely right numbers unless its a grid with only 2 numbers missing and even in "easy level" theres not too many like that.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 12:35 pm
I also hate math but I do expert soduko puzzles in about 5-6 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics