Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood - why is Bais yaakov high school the first choice?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
So someone tell me do kids not like by high school parents just send for their own prestige?

How do I decide what will be a good fit for my daughter? She happens to conform and would totally never wear another color shoes unless everyone else is. I want real academics and extra curricular activities.

There are girls who love it. There are certainly parents who send for prestige when it's not a good fit though. And there are girls who themselves want prestige. It filters down.

Would your DD do well if she's in a very big school with alot of achievers and peer pressure? I think that's a key question.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:40 pm
That's the thing my daughter would do well in such a school. She is not that type of kid to want to make a statement. Now where do I send her?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:49 pm
OP, there are lots of factors to consider. One that strikes me is class size. By has extreme large classes( recently 40+). I know someone that teaches there and she says it's like giving a lecture.
Is your daughter ok with that? Does she want to be in a school where she s another friendly face or does she want to be some where that she can develop a connection with her teachers and peers? Not to say that she won't in by, but fewer do simply due to its size .

The schools in Lakewood have lots of competition. They all have great extracurricular programs - g.o, shabbatons, midos, chessed etc.
As there is no curriculum standard ( like nys regents) academic levels vary more by teacher than by school.

Lots of what is "known" about schools in Lakewood is hype and hearsay. There are problematic issues in each school , some are just more stereotyped than others.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
So someone tell me do kids not like by high school parents just send for their own prestige?

How do I decide what will be a good fit for my daughter? She happens to conform and would totally never wear another color shoes unless everyone else is. I want real academics and extra curricular activities.

Don't forget that most people in Lakewood don't get to choose which high school their daughter goes to. You have to apply to four high schools, and she may just get into a fifth. Instead of just focusing on Bais Yaakov, try to find out about all of them, and pick which four you would most like her to go to. Then daven.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:59 pm
debsey wrote:
It's not mine. I heard it in a parenting class and it stuck with me.

Then why do Lakewood schools make it so hard for you to find the best school for each child? Once your oldest is in a school, it is so difficult to send siblings to other schools, that most parents just send to their schools. If two sisters need different things, why should it be so difficult?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:18 pm
Thank you to everyone who took out their time to respond. From what I'm getting Bais yaakov won't be good for my daughter and neither will Bais kaila because my daughter likes to conform and wouldn't appreciate Bais kaila leniencies if I'm explaining myself correctly.

What about oros? Can someone explain that school to me?

On the one hand some people go on how amazing it is and then I hear from mothers that it is weirdos and out of Towners and that a child won't have an opportunity to shine.

Also my daughter is extremely talented I would love to find a school for her where she can show some of her talent.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:27 pm
Don't send to oros. Bec of the staff.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:13 pm
Firebrick can you please elaborate? Please I am so lost and I'm finding it so hard to get the truth!

I heard that in the last three years the school became amazing and it's so hard to get in is that not true?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:21 pm
If your daughter is smart, talented, frum and from a very frum family then BY would be a great choice! The girls are all so happy there. They work very hard but seem to like the challenge. They work together on their school performance - it is a major event for them.

As my friend said when choosing a high school for her daughter. "If I were looking for a school for myself then I would choose BY. But I don't think my daughter would do well there. She needs a little less pressure so I am choosing Bais Shaindel."

The girls who attend BY are BJJ material for the most part. I am impressed with the girls I know who have gone there.

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:

On the one hand some people go on how amazing it is and then I hear from mothers that it is weirdos and out of Towners and that a child won't have an opportunity to shine.

\

It drives me insane when people say things like that about schools. I've heard other such bizzarre statements/rumors about my dds school.

Anyway, what's wrong with out of towners? I love them, they're so refreshing and great company to be around, and often a very good influence.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:08 pm
And this thread... epitomizes why I would not tolerate living in Lakewood. The obsession with image and labels... ahhhhhh!! How do u pple do it?? And I'm not some "weird out of towner" to quote so on this thread. I wud look like anyone else in Lakewood (and almost did end up there) but I can't imagine living like this.. it would be so unhealthy for me.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:

What kind of mothers are these? Whatever you do, don't send wherever their children go. Unless, of course, you are a snob yourself.

Also - could it be that a child can't shine because all those weirdos and out of towners are just so wonderful?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:33 pm
Not sure what you are referring to, firebrick, or why you would post a statement like that with no supporting facts. My daughter is in Oros and I find the staff incredible, the girls a lovely mix and my dd is flourishing there!!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:57 pm
Gold smother can you tell me more about oros. I have heard such negative things about that school from people who send there but I heard that in the past year it turned around. Is this true? Was it always a good school or did school turn around. Do you mind describing the school a little bit?

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:09 am
I have also heard horror stories about Oreos.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
Thank you to everyone who took out their time to respond. From what I'm getting Bais yaakov won't be good for my daughter and neither will Bais kaila because my daughter likes to conform and wouldn't appreciate Bais kaila leniencies if I'm explaining myself correctly.

What about oros? Can someone explain that school to me?

Also my daughter is extremely talented I would love to find a school for her where she can show some of her talent.

What about Shiras Devorah? It's a great school for an "in the box" kid who also is talented and likes extracurriculars.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:20 am
Shira's Devorah the good positions and parts and things like that goes to sanders friends and wealthy donors. Dunno if I want my daughter to have to compete with that.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
Shira's Devorah the good positions and parts and things like that goes to sanders friends and wealthy donors. Dunno if I want my daughter to have to compete with that.

completely 100% untrue. Don't believe stupid rumors. Like, if anything, exactly the opposite.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:32 am
amother wrote:
I have also heard horror stories about Oreos.

I hear they make you fat Wink

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:33 am
Do you send there? How can you say it's untrue? I spoke to people that send there. The big names kids always have big parts in plays and things like that.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics