Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Who watched the movie 'ROOM' (free with amazon prime)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

lucky14

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
I read the book, which I reallllly enjoyed but I'm also kinda traumatized and can't bring myself to watch the movie. Is the movie graphic/scary?

no it's not graphic and scary. It was sad, but a well made movie.

lucky14

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Did not love her new book Sad it's not awful but nowhere close to room. I was very disappointed

I was disappointed as well. I thought it was so dragged out, I wanted to get to the ending to see what happened, but it felt like it took way too long to get there.

Miri7

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:37 am
The book terrified me. You couldn't pay me to watch the movie! When reading the book, I had to stay up half the night - I had to get to the part where they got out. Totally traumatized.

And yes, I agree that the father saw Jacknas the evidence of the rape, the son of the bad guy.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:46 am
Miri7 wrote:
The book terrified me. You couldn't pay me to watch the movie! When reading the book, I had to stay up half the night - I had to get to the part where they got out. Totally traumatized.

And yes, I agree that the father saw Jacknas the evidence of the rape, the son of the bad guy.
Same. I thought the book was terrifying and I couldnt put it down at the same time.
I kept thinking how the heck does someone come with an idea like that for a story? I think I read somewhere (cant seem to find it now) that the author took the idea from some of the women that had been taken captive and just escaped (I forgot her name).
In any case, the book was so bizarre, but it was so bizarre that I had to see it to the end.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:50 am
okay my thoughts on the movie & then I'll read the thread ... not only are the license plates from Ohio, my thoughts were that this movie depicted the true story of the 3 girls that were kidnapped in cleveland

details were changed but one cannot forget the horrific unfolding of some of the nightmares they lived before escaping their kidnapper - including having a baby

rachaelle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same. I thought the book was terrifying and I couldnt put it down at the same time.
I kept thinking how the heck does someone come with an idea like that for a story? I think I read somewhere (cant seem to find it now) that the author took the idea from some of the women that had been taken captive and just escaped (I forgot her name).
In any case, the book was so bizarre, but it was so bizarre that I had to see it to the end.

Unfortunately, there have been many cases such as what happened in Room. Her idea wasnt really original. It was the way she portrayed it from the child's perspective that made it a sensation.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:52 am
greenfire wrote:
okay my thoughts on the movie & then I'll read the thread ... not only are the license plates from Ohio, my thoughts were that this movie depicted the true story of the 3 girls that were kidnapped in cleveland

details were changed but one cannot forget the horrific unfolding of some of the nightmares they lived before escaping their kidnapper - including having a baby
Greenfire, thats it. read my reply. I couldnt remember if her story was based on a real event or not. But I had thought that I had read that some place, that it was based on real live events.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:53 am
rachaelle wrote:
Unfortunately, there have been many cases such as what happened in Room. Her idea wasnt really original. It was the way she portrayed it from the child's perspective that made it a sensation.
And thats what made the book even more horrifying.

rachaelle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And thats what made the book even more horrifying.

Agreed. Horrifying to us. But to Jack that was normal life, all he ever knew. For him, entering the real world was the trauma!

And I think of what Joy went through... going through pregnancy with zero prenatal care, having a baby in that garage with no doctor or pain management, caring for a newborn in those terrible conditions.....

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 1:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Greenfire, thats it. read my reply. I couldnt remember if her story was based on a real event or not. But I had thought that I had read that some place, that it was based on real live events.

yup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....pings

there was also some scenes depicting a kidnapping of a girl named elisabeth in austria

http://nypost.com/2015/10/16/h.....ases/

the world is sick ... you can't make these stories up

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 1:15 am
actually, if anything, I found it more fascinating to hear the tale from the boy's perspective and his skewed point of view of everyday things we take for granted - all limited to that room

tigerwife

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 1:28 am
I haven't read the book and probably won't based on the synopsis... It seems to be based on the Fritzl case which was actually way more horrifying than the book... There is true evil in the world.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 3:52 am
tigerwife wrote:
I haven't read the book and probably won't based on the synopsis... It seems to be based on the Fritzl case which was actually way more horrifying than the book... There is true evil in the world.

Not that you should read a book that is unappealing at all.

And I don't think the book was a timeless masterpiece. However, it was an extremely well written literate book by a talented writer who took shocking actions and created something that was not at all exploitative.

I think that all artists when producing serious art in whatever field they practice, elevate "facts" into something that says something about the human spirit and the world we live in - that creates credible complex people. That's the difference between a journalistic treatment of any case where a woman is imprisoned (and unfortunately there are too many of those and those are the ones we know about it) and an artist's inspiration from such events.

Of course sometimes there is a book like In Cold Blood which straddles both art and journalism. Very Happy

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 10:13 am
rachaelle wrote:

yes definitely.
The book and movie - the story in itself is based on sadly too many true stories. But the idea of writing it from the childs perspective is incredible.
How he honestly believes that life outside of room is "TV". It is so sad.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 11:18 am
Miri7 wrote:

ITA, I read the book and can't imagine watching the movie. It would freak me out!

On a related note, would you give this book to your DD's to read? At what age?

debsey

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 11:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
ITA, I read the book and can't imagine watching the movie. It would freak me out!

On a related note, would you give this book to your DD's to read? At what age?

maybe 17?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:02 pm
debsey wrote:
maybe 17?

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought - my 18 year old can read it but I think my 15 year old is not ready.

Tough to find books for my 15 year old to read....

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:39 pm
I would not give it to a 15 or 17 year old Lakewood girl to read. I mean I have no problem with the book, I am just surprised that in Lakewood you would give it to your daughter. Im sure she is somewhat sheltered, would you care if she tried to go deeper into understanding the book?
Also she prob will not get the nuances about his rapes and the pills, etc...

debsey

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
I would not give it to a 15 or 17 year old Lakewood girl to read. I mean I have no problem with the book, I am just surprised that in Lakewood you would give it to your daughter. Im sure she is somewhat sheltered, would you care if she tried to go deeper into understanding the book?

I'd rather start a dialogue about these things, and give them to my daughter myself so we can have a convo about it. A 17 year old is headed out of her house, possibly to Israel or Brooklyn for seminary. Mommy is not going to be around to protect her, she needs to know the dangers that are out there.

Room (the book) reminds us why we have to be super careful about not going with a kidnapper, not trusting a guy who seems friendly, etc.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

I have no idea why you think a Lakewood girl is so sheltered that she wouldn't understand the meaning of rape and pills. Those are the least of my concerns. I discuss these issues with my teens, they have questions about life and they know they can talk to me about it.

I just feel the book is to scary for a 15 year old to handle in her mind. My post-high school DD is less likely to freak out.....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics