Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Two days in Paris

LO

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:40 pm
Hi all! I am stopping in Paris on my way to/from Israel this winter, with my 10 yr old twin girls. I have a full day on the way there and about 6 hours on the way back.

I was never in Paris and would love to see the basics in the (short) amount of time that I have. Besides for the Paris places, I also really want to see Versailles.

Here is what I need help with:

1. Can you suggest an itinerary for the full day which would be most logical to see the main attractions in the least amount of time? Then I can save Versaille for the trip back and not go into Paris on the way back at all.

2. Can you tell me about the kosher food situation? What hechsherim are available? Are there any supermarkets or restaurants near the popular attractions where I can buy even basic snacks, or bread and cream cheese?

3. I would love to see the frum area. What is it called and how far is it from the center of town? What is the easiest way to get there? Once there, can you recommend a fleishig/schwarma type place that is inexpensive?

Thanks in advance!

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:01 pm
Well, of course you'll want to see the Eiffel Tower (and go up), and in that area is the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. But check what day you'll be there, because I think each is closed one day of the week (Monday or Tuesday?). Also, the Tuilleries, though I don't know how pretty it is in winter. And walk down the Champs Elysees to Arc de Triumph. In the area is a deli place called Mickey's, which is under the supervision of Rav Rottenberg, which is the highest, most respected hechsher there. There is also Beit Din of Paris, which some people use, some don't, and some only use for dairy.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:34 pm
The Jewish area in the centre of Paris is called La Marais. Main street is Rue des rosiers. There are a few restaurants there and some shops. IIRC it is quite close to centre Pompeidou.

There are literally dozens of kosher restaurants in Paris.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 6:57 am
Please download the food kosher list so you can get by anywhere.

There are around 350 eateries in the Parisia area. Kah. Smile
I have a dozen just in walking distance from me, in a suburb.

The Pletzl/ le Marais while the historical area is not quite the main Jewish area anymore. I'd say the 19 is now.

In the instagrams to help you choose
NOSASSIETTESCASHER
LEGOUTEURCACHER
KOSHERPARIS
LASSIETTE.KASHER
YIDINFRANCE

The sites 123cacher, mangercacher

Enjoy Paris. There's nothing like this life, bh.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 8:29 am
Rahel, I know the pletzl is not the main Jewish area but it is probably most convenient for a one day stop since it is near the tourist attractions.

Lilibet

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 8:35 am
Finding ready-to-eat food in a regular grocery is a project. The great thing is that the kosher shops, bakeries, and restaurants in La Marais on Rue des rosiers are right in the city center, so you can stop there and take food with you for the rest of the day, or plan to take a break in La Marais at lunch time.

A great thing about France is that the baguette in the ordinary bakeries, the small, independent bakeries that do only bread is kosher NOT patisseries. NOT bread made in large commercial bakeries and distributed to small shops. This is therefore useful in residential neighborhoods where such bakeries exist. The tourist areas in the center of Paris have few such bakeries nowadays.

My advice is head to La Marais. You can discover why the falafel at "'As is said to be the best in the world. And it won't cost you much time.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 9:57 am
Lilibet wrote:
Finding ready-to-eat food in a regular grocery is a project. The great thing is that the kosher shops, bakeries, and restaurants in La Marais on Rue des rosiers are right in the city center, so you can stop there and take food with you for the rest of the day, or plan to take a break in La Marais at lunch time.

A great thing about France is that the baguette in the ordinary bakeries, the small, independent bakeries that do only bread is kosher NOT patisseries. NOT bread made in large commercial bakeries and distributed to small shops. This is therefore useful in residential neighborhoods where such bakeries exist. The tourist areas in the center of Paris have few such bakeries nowadays.

My advice is head to La Marais. You can discover why the falafel at "'As is said to be the best in the world. And it won't cost you much time.

I still dream about that falafel.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:36 am
I don't like falafel lol.
Beware one of them lost its teuda, though it is probably still kosher and all. Always look at the teuda.

Baguette and the list are life savers.

It's le marais. Masculine Wink

LO

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:50 am
Ruchel, thanks for posting! Which kosher food list do you mean? Is there one in English? Thanks for all your help!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:57 pm
Each European country has a list. I mean the French one. It's in French. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics