Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Nail polish colors, yeshivish, Baltimore
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:44 pm
Which nail polish colors does BY allow these days? When I was in high school it was only light pink and white. I feel like now there is wider acceptance to other colors...is that true? I just got a grey/purple in a sample beauty box and I think it's really pretty. Please share your local BY rules.
I am a married yeshivish person and I am just sort of clueless. I don't get what is so much more attractive about teal than pink...enlighten me.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:52 pm
It's not that teal is more attractive, it's that it stands out a whole lot more than light pink.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:52 pm
I still wud only wear whitish n light pink - I find the other colors making more of a statement and being less traditional, less yeshivish..

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:56 pm
I am so sick of rules. I am so happy to be out of high school without the BY rules over me. I want to wear the stinkin grey nail polish and not feel bad about it. but I also don't want to make any statements, for my husband and kids sake. What I know, how mature, right?

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:00 pm
Do you work at a BY?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:02 pm
No but I went there for high school. My husband is a rabbi and gives shiurim. I dont want to make my kids not be able to fit in to yeshivish comunity

doctorima

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:20 pm
I think it depends where you live, just as much of tznius is often dependent on minhag hamakom. The colors the yeshivish community wears in Lakewood or Flatbush will be different than what they wear in Houston or Milwaukee. If you're in an OOT community, I don't think you'll get yourself or your family in trouble. If you're in town, check to see what other mothers are wearing when you see them, and try to blend in to the local norms.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:49 am
If my husband was rabbi and gave shuirim the more so I wud want to wear more traditional colors

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 5:12 am
Girls aren't allowed.
Moms aren't controlled.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:14 am
It really depends on the school policy.
If schools don't allow it's for one of two reasons:
1. They think it's inappropriate and don't allow even off school grounds.
2. They don't want to be policemen and have to check the girls' hands to see if they're wearing nail polish, or only approved brands.

I probably wouldn't be comfortable in a school such as 1: chances are they'd have other policies I'd find too draconian. But I appreciate it. And can heartily endorse 2. Tznius policing, other than noticing obvious flaunting, is generally not going to endear the girls to tznius.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:40 am
This isn't about girls.

This is about a grown woman concerned about community standards.

OP, I think you would do better to post your location, and change the thread title. What you really are asking is, "Would I be considered tznius in X place if I wore gray nail polish?"

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:11 am
There is a range of yeshivish. It wouldn't be considered very yeshivish, but there's more leeway towards the left of the spectrum .

Also the fact that your dh is a rabbi might change the answer. It depends how much of a role model you are ready expected to be. This should be discussed with him.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
I am so sick of rules. I am so happy to be out of high school without the BY rules over me. I want to wear the stinkin grey nail polish and not feel bad about it. but I also don't want to make any statements, for my husband and kids sake. What I know, how mature, right?

Maybe try one coat of a white/light polish and one coat of grey polish to have a change of pace and still not stand out.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
Which nail polish colors does BY allow these days? When I was in high school it was only light pink and white. I feel like now there is wider acceptance to other colors...is that true? I just got a grey/purple in a sample beauty box and I think it's really pretty. Please share your local BY rules.
I am a married yeshivish person and I am just sort of clueless. I don't get what is so much more attractive about teal than pink...enlighten me.

are you talking about for mothers or for girls in the school? My daughters school has a no nail polish rule for the girls, but there are no rules for the mom.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:29 am
Also I personally think if you're otherwise dressed very modestly, the nail polish makes less of a statement than of its part of an overall edgy look.

Disclaimer: I don't care how anyone dresses, but you asked our opinion.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:38 am
There was a thread about this recently...it really has to do with where you live. "Yeshivish" in some places are different than in others.
What ive noticed, in my "in town", yeshivish community, is that sheer light pinks used to be the only acceptable colors, and now its totally normal for yeshivish women to wear opaque colors, that are darker, like greys and taupe.
But this really has to do with where you live.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:43 am
OP here. I live in Baltimore. There is a big mix of frumness here. There are pockets of yeshivish people here--including my husband's type/shul. I don't usually go to shul at all, I am home with he kids. In the school we send to, I am already one of the more "yeshivish looking," and I doubt more than one or two would even notice my hands. My husband thinks men don't notice hands (because he doesn't) and he could care less if I had grey--or any color--on my hands. That said, he said I should pay attention to community standards (which are really unclear to me--do I have to follow the one or two shuls that are yeshivish because my husband goes there when everyone else is much more open?). He says if it is the minhag hamakom not to wear nail polish or only pink, I should do that, but if it isn't clear and I am not making a huge statement, he could care less.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:49 am
imasinger wrote:
This isn't about girls.

This is about a grown woman concerned about community standards.

OP, I think you would do better to post your location, and change the thread title. What you really are asking is, "Would I be considered tznius in X place if I wore gray nail polish?"

Oops. Missed the later posts. You're spot on.

Now I'd say, hard call. I suspect though that any school rules are of the second persuasion as per my post which gives you leeway. How much, I don't know.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 11:23 am
My sister is bais yaakov yeshivish and lives in Baltimore. She started wearing grey Polish and tells me it is now acceptable, if that answers your question.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 11:57 am
OP if your DH doesn't care, and you're in Baltimore, and most importantly, it will make you feel good, then go for it.

100%.

No SB concerns, no overt community concerns.

Even if there are a couple of busybodies who object, that's fine.

You are allowed that much self expression without consequence.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics