Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Overwhlemed at dd's issues

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 1:36 am
I'm completely overwhelmed at dd's issues
because she is totally failing at school we did extensive testing.

the tests came back

she is a genuis
BUT she has terrible language skills and memory skills so you can't see any of her smartness in school. and she's impulsive, and she's lacking social skills. (she is adhd as is treated for her adhd)
so she's smart but it's stuck in her brain

I'm lost as how to help her - I can take her to a million therapies which I have done in the past - but I don't even know if it helps

I'm so overwhelmed and I feel bad for her. she is such a sweet good girl. (10 years old)

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 2:34 am
Hug What kind of therapist/therapies has she been to?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 2:58 am
occupational therapy
speech therapy
tutor in language help
tutor in general help (2 times a week)

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:57 am
It could be that you haven't found the right therapist/s. There are definitely excellent therapists out there who can work with your dd and improve the issues you mentioned in your op.

How old is your daughter? How long did she receive each type of therapy?
Did the therapists present a plan to you of how they would address her issues? How were they broken down and what methods were used to address them? Did they involve you and have regular meetings with you to update you on her progress and help you with carryover at home/school?

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:36 am
Is she in the right school for her?

Does she have an IEP, with modified expectations, based on her challenges?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 7:30 am
Sorry you're going thru this. In what ways has your dd demonstrated that she's a genius? Why do you think she's really very smart?
Hatslachah!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:23 am
I'm not saying she's a genius but I had her tested very extensively

with the results we sat down with her teacher and tutors.

the test showed she is a genius - the tester compared her to Einstein

but they can't see her smartness in school at all.

Now the teacher was told how she should test my daughter - so let's see if she can follow along.
I'm glad I did the testing as now I know exactly where her trouble ares are.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:20 am
It sounds like she's at a regular school and it isn't the greatest fit. Is there another option in your area?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not saying she's a genius but I had her tested very extensively

with the results we sat down with her teacher and tutors.

the test showed she is a genius - the tester compared her to Einstein

but they can't see her smartness in school at all.

Now the teacher was told how she should test my daughter - so let's see if she can follow along.
I'm glad I did the testing as now I know exactly where her trouble ares are.

What kind of professional conducted the eval? What kind of eval was it? What did they suggest you do/whom did they suggest you take her to to help her learn the skills she needs?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 8:24 am
Don't give up on her!

I am gifted with learning disabilities and ADHD. It is a very difficult combination. She may need years of therapies to make improvements, so don't stop just because she hasn't improved enough yet. I do think that it may be worthwhile to switch therapists for various things though.

My problems weren't as bad as your daughters, but I struggled terribly in school. Today, I have a master's degree in the sciences and hold down a full time job in my field, and have even been promoted to management. Your daughter can do it, and she will just need more support, more therapies, more time, and more effort. But she will get there, so keep looking, keep trying, keep finding new things to help her. And keep believing in her and telling her she can do it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:43 am
slategray - that is helpful
I know I didn't have it so easy in school either but b'h today I am also holding down a good job and taking care of my house.
The grades in school isn't what matters for life but it makes a big difference during the school years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)