Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Why do teachers think they work the hardest?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:10 am
I will preface this by saying that I used to be a teacher and I quit because I got burned out. I know full well what a tough job it is and the perks that people who have never taught like to gripe about were nice but not enough to entice me to stay. So I really do get it and I don't mean this as a teacher bash. I'm genuinely happy with my new profession and not complaining about that either.

But what I don't get is why teachers think they have it the hardest of everyone. Yes, you bring work home but you're not the only ones. Both me and dh also have to bring some work home and are also expected to be available to deal with certain things while technically off the clock. Yes, there's a lot of pressure and politics from different factions (kids, parents, administration), but that exists in most other professions as well. Yes, the pay is low especially given the training and education required, but that's also true of a number of other professions (including the one I ended up switching to). This often comes up during times of year when teachers get an obvious perk- I thought of this due to a discussion I saw about many schools being off this week already and all this teachers chimed in to say why school needs to be closed this week. Really, for every reason they gave, I could say pretty much the same about why I should have off this week from my job. But I don't, so I am paying through the nose for childcare this week. My job is hard too. So is my dh's. So are the jobs of all the not teachers I know. And yes, teaching is hard too, I know that, I personally couldn't hack it. But it's not the most uniquely difficult thing out there and it's not a martyrdom.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:17 am
I never heard anyone say that teaching is THE hardest job. But I do think it's high up there. First of all there is the aspect of no office hours - so much work comes home, the planning and grading, etc. Yes, other jobs have that too. But on top of that there is the discipline aspect and that is really hard. It's hard to be with kids all day. And the pay is usually low. So with all that together, there is plenty to kvetch about. Still, teachers know that going in, so....

rachel0615

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:20 am
Hi- So I am speaking as a recent teacher. I think teachers complain so much because there is virtually no thanks for all the work we do. Students complain that they have too much work, the consequence is not fair. When things are going smoothly, they do not stop to say wow this lesson rocks thank you! Parents also generally get in touch when something goes wrong. The fact that they had not had to reach out to you until December gets no thanks. I think this sense of always getting criticism is what leads to a lot of the complaints.

Also I know that I personally rarely get lunch breaks. True, I am technically off but if my kids are having a hard time, I am sent back into my class to calm them down. Also because of prep, I am usually out of my house for 10 hours or more. True other people carry those hours, but they are usually either thanked for going above and beyond or compensated for the extra time they put in. Please correct me if I am wrong!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:22 am
Do you rather work in a office where you never get off holidays or erev holidays? And deal with a bratty boss?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:25 am
im a teacher in a jewish school.

I love my job.

I dont complain.

havent heared anyone comlain this week in the teachers room or when talking to collegues.

never heared that my job is the hardest of all.

its not easy if you ahve difficult classes, parents etc. but I dont compare myself with neurosurgeons, ballet dancer, the ceo of ibm or the president of a nation Wink

Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
Do you rather work in a office where you never get off holidays or erev holidays? And deal with a bratty boss?

And work the whole summer?

Look, every job has pros and cons. I agree with the OP because teachers seem to think their jobs are the hardest. Certainly, there are aspects of their jobs that are indeed very difficult. Sometimes they are not appropriately thanked (although I've had many non teaching jobs where I also wasn't appropriately thanked). I think I'd pick not being appropriately thanked over, say, being off the entire summer with my kids. That is almost priceless. But I have other perks that teachers don't get. Pros and cons everywhere.

nechamashifra

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:30 am
I am not a teacher so I can't speak on their behalf but I will say this: good teachers can make the difference in shaping our children and for that I will always be grateful to them.

I also imagine that standing up for hours on end, always being upbeat no matter what mood you're really in, keeping children entertained, resolving their issues, making sure they have their coats on/they're eating their lunches/snacks/they're all getting along....oh and on top of it all teaching them something:).....I imagine that yes, that must be quite exhausting!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:31 am
rachel0615 wrote:
Hi- So I am speaking as a recent teacher. I think teachers complain so much because there is virtually no thanks for all the work we do. Students complain that they have too much work, the consequence is not fair. When things are going smoothly, they do not stop to say wow this lesson rocks thank you! Parents also generally get in touch when something goes wrong. The fact that they had not had to reach out to you until December gets no thanks. I think this sense of always getting criticism is what leads to a lot of the complaints.

Also I know that I personally rarely get lunch breaks. True, I am technically off but if my kids are having a hard time, I am sent back into my class to calm them down. Also because of prep, I am usually out of my house for 10 hours or more. True other people carry those hours, but they are usually either thanked for going above and beyond or compensated for the extra time they put in. Please correct me if I am wrong!

What?!
You don't get chanukah, purim, end of year, beginning of year, summer etc tips and cards? No parent ever says thank you?
And FTR my boss also doesn't tell me "awesome job on that email you excelled!".

OP I agree with you. I used to teach too and it wasn't half as stressful or hard as my current job. Yet where is my bonus or my tips or anything?
Actually I did get a box of chocolates from one client for Purim....so there was that Smile

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:32 am
oh my gosh yes!!!
I didnt read all replies but I always think this

bh I have a job and I work all day everyday , sun, snow, chol hamoed , erev yim kippur

and its so so cool that everyone around just says no the teachers are the best , most amazing pple they work the hardest , are moser nefesh and all that--- like seriously!!!
most teachers work half day and have off when their kids have off and a few days before peasch and erev yomtov chol hamoed, snow days ect...

rachel0615

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:36 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
What?!
You don't get chanukah, purim, end of year, beginning of year, summer etc tips and cards? No parent ever says thank you?
And FTR my boss also doesn't tell me "awesome job on that email you excelled!".

OP I agree with you. I used to teach too and it wasn't half as stressful or hard as my current job. Yet where is my bonus or my tips or anything?
Actually I did get a box of chocolates from one client for Purim....so there was that Smile

No, I do not. Is that a thing? I have a salary and BH get paid on time but there is no additional thanks. I am not expecting my boss to tell me I did a great job on my email. When did I say that was an expectation? I do think it is a normal desire to want some degree of thanks from someone whether it be a boss, client, etc. It is hard to accept that often, the only thanks you get will be years later, when your students are older and can communicate the difference you made to them.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:37 am
I'm a teacher and I have never said that "I work the hardest"
Generalizations like this irritate me.

Has every teacher in the world come and told you they have the hardest job?
Did one teacher complain to you and you have painted us all with the same brush??

Teaching, like any proffession, has its pros and cons.
I'm wondering why you feel so strongly about this?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:38 am
I have a feeling this isn't going to end well...

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:

I'd much rather have one bratty boss than 25 bratty students. I guess that's a big part of why my teaching career was quite brief.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:42 am
There is no question that teachers work hard.
But they do have the perfect schedule when it comes to Jewish holidays.
When a teacher starts complaining the week before pesach, she should expect no sympathy from working mothers. Same with complaints about what to do with kids in the between school and camp time. Early fridays too.
This was not a "bash the teachers" post.
I dont think teachers appreciate the hard work that goes into other professions. Other professionals need sympathy and appreciation too.

They also need space to vent without a comparison to the altruistic and important work of the teacher.

rachel0615

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:44 am
I just want to point out- not all teachers get erev yantefs off. I know other ppl in other fields need to take yantef off. But I taught erev RH, YK and Succos and chol hamoed Succos. I have school up until and including this Friday. I teach until 3:30 every Friday. Our schedule is not so much more perfect than in other professions, unless you work in a frum school.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:46 am
rachel0615 wrote:

Professionals receive salaries; they aren't paid overtime.

Non-professionals are usually paid overtime.

So your accountant isn't paid extra for working all hours during tax season, but the checkout clerk at your kosher supermarket is paid for extra hours before Pesach.

Which do you consider yourself?

Also, when you entered the teaching profession (because I clearly consider it a profession), did you not understand that teaching required grading papers and prep work? Why do you consider those to be "extra time" beyond what you're compensated for?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:46 am
Iymnok wrote:
There is
I dont think teachers appreciate the hard work that goes into other professions. Other professionals need sympathy and appreciation too.

They also need space to vent without a comparison to the altruistic and important work of the teacher.

Again, generalizing about a huge segment of society.
"Teachers don't appreciate the hard work that goes into other proffessions"

Seriously?! How would you possibly know what I think?

I know I shouldn't take it personally , but I am.

Why is there so much resentment towards us teachers?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:48 am
Iymnok wrote:
There is no question that teachers work hard.
But they do have the perfect schedule when it comes to Jewish holidays.
When a teacher starts complaining the week before pesach, she should expect no sympathy from working mothers. Same with complaints about what to do with kids in the between school and camp time. Early fridays too.

[u]

I think this is what our feelings boil down to ,

and I also feel they think we are earning millions which is nt always true/....

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 11:01 am
the jealousy thread every year around this time. yes teachers were hard and aren't paid much. the only perks is they have off when there kids are off etc. you want to take off extra days on yom tov so use your personal or sick days. dont' bash teachers.
oh and I am not a teacher. I use to be a really long time ago and see how hard teachers work.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
Again, generalizing about a huge segment of society.
"Teachers don't appreciate the hard work that goes into other proffessions"

Seriously?! How would you possibly know what I think?

I know I shouldn't take it personally , but I am.

Why is there so much resentment towards us teachers?

Blame it on social media.

I respect teachers. I think they work hard.

But if I see one more meme about how teachers are the hardest working and most wonderful people on earth, who work so many hours, and who deserve much higher salaries, I'm going to be sick.

In NYC, teachers have lunch hours and prep time, and cannot be required to be in school more than 8 to 4, sometimes less. They work 190 days a year (including prep days -- most Americans work about 245), with a masters earn over $80,000 a year after 10 years (which is well over the average salary of a college grad after 10 years), and get benefits the like of which almost no one else has, including a very substantial pension.

And the more they complain about it on social media, the less sympathetic I become.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics