Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Questions about Detroit

rachel0615

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 7:31 am
My dh and I are very possibly moving to Detroit this summer. We have a few questions.

1- what is the least expensive but safe way to move some furniture to Detroit from ny? Estimate of cost would be super helpful.
2-average cost of food per moth for 2 ppl?
3- what is income tax there? Trying to figure out how much we would be banking since our salary would be taking a hit if we do move.
4- we have heard rent is 800-1000 for an apt. Are these apartments nice or do u need to spend more for a nicer apartment?

Thanks so much for your help!!

rachel0615

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 4:04 pm
Bump

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 6:24 pm
State income tax is pretty low. Apt are nice.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 6:31 pm
I grew up in Detroit and have to say its a great place to live. Most the apartments people rent are either in the Bais Yehuda complex or Rue Versailes. Bais Yehuda was all redone a few years ago and are all beautiful apartments. they have one two or three bedrooms. Rue Versailes is cheaper than Bais Yehuda and some apartments are nice and some dumpy- depends when it was last redone. 800-1000 sounds right for a one or two bedroom. As far as income tax, the city of Detroit has but no one actually lives there. If you work there though u gotta pay the tax I believe. No other of the surronding cities have income tax so you probably will just be paying federal and state and not city income tax. Sales tax is around 6 percent there. As far as food it really depends on what you keep. Cholev yisroel and pas yisroel is obvioulsy more expensive than in NY. Good luck.

gingie37

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 7:23 pm
The apartments where most people live are Rue Versailles, Bais Yehudah apartments, Lincoln Towers, Lincoln Woods and Briar Drive/the oaks on Lincoln. My husband and I live in Lincoln Woods and we pay 840/month for a two bedroom. We love it here and there are a lot of frum and young couples in the complex and the area. Food....if you keep CY it'll definitely be pricier. We pay maybe 500-600/month for all food not including eating out. I also buy expensive produce Tongue Out
Feel free to ask any other detroit related questions here, as ive lived here for my whole life.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 7:57 pm
Bais Yehudah apartments are really nice and in the $1,300+ range (but around 1600 sq feet, which is huge). There are several apartment complexes mentioned above that, to my understanding, are in nice shape.

Michigan state income tax is 4.25%.

Here is what I wished people told me about finances and Michigan:
1. You will be destroyed by the price of car insurance. Our insurance quadrupled.
2. Property taxes are exceedingly high. We pay around $5,000 for a tiny (1500 square foot) house. (So that would be the equivalent of paying $10,000 for a 3,000 square foot house).
3. But yet, you get very little services by way of those property taxes. Your snow won't get plowed, the streets don't get repaired.
4. Water is also high, about $150 per month (that is month, not quarter).
5. There is lots of flooding. Every time it rains, someone's basement floods.

On the plus side, the living here is nice, easy, and laid back. People are friendly and nonjudgmental. I'm not sorry I moved here, but I do wish I was better informed on the finances.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Yehudah apartments are really nice and in the $1,300+ range (but around 1600 sq feet, which is huge). There are several apartment complexes mentioned above that, to my understanding, are in nice shape.

Michigan state income tax is 4.25%.

Here is what I wished people told me about finances and Michigan:
1. You will be destroyed by the price of car insurance. Our insurance quadrupled.
2. Property taxes are exceedingly high. We pay around $5,000 for a tiny (1500 square foot) house. (So that would be the equivalent of paying $10,000 for a 3,000 square foot house).
3. But yet, you get very little services by way of those property taxes. Your snow won't get plowed, the streets don't get repaired.
4. Water is also high, about $150 per month (that is month, not quarter).
5. There is lots of flooding. Every time it rains, someone's basement floods.

On the plus side, the living here is nice, easy, and laid back. People are friendly and nonjudgmental. I'm not sorry I moved here, but I do wish I was better informed on the finances.

Are you in Southfield? Plowing in OP isn't bad.
About the flooding: yeah, it is an issue but maybe people need their driveways replaced.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:56 pm
Where is Bais Yehuda apartments? I grew up in Detroit and never heard of them. is this a new thing?

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:10 pm
A wealthy woman owned a basically empty condo complex right next to bais yehuda. She gifted it to the school and they completely redid them and now a.bunch of young frum families.live there.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
Where is Bais Yehuda apartments? I grew up in Detroit and never heard of them. is this a new thing?
Also known as the "yeshiva" apartments. On the corner of Greenfeild and Lincoln. Entrance on Lincoln, next door to Bais Yehudah.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
Are you in Southfield? Plowing in OP isn't bad.
About the flooding: yeah, it is an issue but maybe people need their driveways replaced.

Agree plowing in Oak Park is not too bad. It is, however, in Southfield.

The driveways here are just fine. That is not what causes the flooding. The flooding is 100% the city's fault due to their unwillingness or inability to replace aging systems that were built incorrectly from the get-go.

fish

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:38 pm
Is that what all that constuction in southfield around jeanette and peirce is about?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:38 pm
Does anyone else agree about the high car insurance? Its the first im hearing about it

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone else agree about the high car insurance? Its the first im hearing about it

http://www.insure.com/car-insu......html

This article backs it up
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating