Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar mitzvah planning. Please help

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:05 am
My son was born 2 days after pesach. 12 years ago. We don't listen to music from after pesach till after lag baomer. We are trying to plan a party. Since his Shabbos is directly the one after pesach, my husband feels like its too much of a stretch to have a party after lag baomer. Like it doesn't fit anymore. I disagree. What do you think? Also doing it before pesach is not option for sure because of work related reason.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:22 am
I believe there are opinions that you can switch which part of sefirah you keep. So next year, you could keep sefirah from Rosh Chodesh Iyar until Shavuos, which would allow you to have music at the Bar Mitzvah. You may need to do hataras nedarim, though I'm not sure; ask your LOR. This would seem to be the best solution. Doing it before Pesach makes no sense, since he won't be Bar Mitzvah yet. Doing it after Lag B'omer is too long to wait.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:32 am
My nephew is born around the same time. They wound up not doing a party but doing a big Shabbot with friends and family. Another friend did a party at Lag b'Omer. Still another I know did a trip with the boys and a Shabbot with the family. You can switch what part of the sifra you switch, but it also means any potential guests have to switch so it makes it complicated.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:37 am
Would Rosh Chodesh work?

Or you could have him lain on his actual bar mitzvah and have a celebration after Lag B'Omer.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:43 am
My son has almost that exact birthday. He just had his bar mitzva. We did a tiny seuda on his birthday, just family and a few friends (you could invite his classmates - since it was so soon after pesach most of my sons friends were away). He lained this past shabbos and we had a kiddush. On sunday we had an afternoon light lunch/dessert reception. No live music or dancing. We used acappela music as background. One of my friends did a brunch for her son which was really nice.

Bonus, I spent approx half of what I spent on my last my sons bar mitzva and it was just as nice.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:23 am
My son attended a bar mitzvah this past Shabbos and the party will be on lag bomer. My nephews BM was on pesach and his party was lag b'omer.
I think it's fine to have the party then but if you do decide I would try and book something soon because that date will fill up fast

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:23 am
DS had a 3 weeks bar mitzvah. We didn't want to move it to right after, because so many of his classmates were away in the summer. So we did a nice Shabbos b'zmano: he leined, we had a kiddush, we had the family in and friends as well for the seudos, and he invited a couple of his friends who were around. Basically, our big meal was Shabbos day seudah; he gave his speech, etc.

Then, at the end of the summer, we had a party for his friends with music. We also invited his grandparents and rebbes. And we did pictures.

zigi

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 8:26 am
I just made one we used acapella there was some dancing it was very nice. Ds was born a week after pesach

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:15 am
Thank you so much for all the ideas! Really helped! Gotta get planningl

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:44 am
zigi wrote:
I just made one we used acapella there was some dancing it was very nice. Ds was born a week after pesach

Even if you use acapella, is dancing allowed during sefirah?

zigi

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:51 am
I don't think it that it's not allowed. A bunch of men walking in a circle. His teachers and principal were.there Staam dancing not allowed but part of a seuda mitzvah it's ok. Looked it up
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics