Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o court jobs anon enabled

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:10 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm curious as to why so few East Coast frum women aren't working in the public sector. The two recent posts about jobs in the courts got me to thinking.

As a frum Jewish woman I found public service gratifying. Public sector employers have very clear hiring policies and religious accommodation policies. Salary and benefits, including retirement are much better than a great many similar private sector positions. In some instances you can get paid for tuition if additional training and education can benefit the employer. In many cases public employees are represented by labor unions as well. Depending on where you work in public service and what your job is you may be eligible for a flexible work week. In higher ed where I worked our union contract gave me the option of working 4 ten hour days so I could have Fridays off. It also gave me a variety of ways to receive accommodation for yom tovs so I didn't have to burn all of my personal leave.

Growing up in NJ in the 50's I knew a number of my parents peers who happily worked in the public sector. Not so much now adays.

I wanted to reply to Magenta's post but wanted to do so anon due to personal details. I would love a public service job but they're impossible to get! I got a perfect score on the New York State Civil Service exam and never got called even a year later. You can't work in public service if you can't find a job!

If anyone knows of anything in New York (city or Nassau) and can help me out, I'm all ears!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:20 pm
I worked briefly in the public sector in the Northeast. Yes, it was easy to arrange a Shabbat-compatible schedule (I had to use vacation time for the holidays), but in every other way the work environment was absurdly rigid and the work conditions were not so great. There was a union, but...let's just say it wasn't for me. I'll spare you the details, but in general I have been better off in the private sector.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics