Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Sweaty laundry over the 9 days? help!

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:39 pm
My husband started working out almost everyday over the past couple of months. Obviously I have been doing laundry more often since whatever he wears while working out is dripping wet when he's done. (sorry for TMI) What am I going to do over the 9 days? The smell will overpower the whole house!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:50 pm
If ur allowed to work out like that I think ur allowed to wash the clothes .

If dh agrees, AYLOR both questions.

Worse case scenario, I guess at least you'll really really feel the churban this year.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:08 am
First of all, hang them up on hangers to dry outside when he gets home. No balls of sweaty clothes mildewing for 9 days necessary.
Second of all, pretreating is not a problem. You can rinse them out with some soap, hang up to dry and leave to wash fully after the 9 days.
Another thing, any clothes that risk getting ruined (like sweat setting in and not being able to be removed) are allowed to be washed.
And if you're washing for children you may just be able to throw something else in as well.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:19 am
Do people really not do laundry for 10 days? Who has that many clothes/pjs/bed linens/towels/everything else?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:05 am
oliveoil wrote:
Do people really not do laundry for 10 days? Who has that many clothes/pjs/bed linens/towels/everything else?

I dont change any of those things daily. The only things I change daily is underpants and socks, and yes I do have 10 of them.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:34 am
amother wrote:
I dont change any of those things daily. The only things I change daily is underpants and socks, and yes I do have 10 of them.

You don't change your clothes daily?

June

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:47 am
Olive oil, the whole point is not to wear fresh clothing or sleep on fresh linen or use fresh towels during the nine days. So yeah it's uncomfortable, but I can put up with a little discomfort when I think about what we're mourning.

OP, ask a rabbi, not ima. You may be allowed to do a prewash or soak or something.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:50 am
June wrote:
Olive oil, the whole point is not to wear fresh clothing or sleep on fresh linen or use fresh towels during the nine days. So yeah it's uncomfortable, but I can put up with a little discomfort when I think about what we're mourning.

OP, ask a rabbi, not ima. You may be allowed to do a prewash or soak or something.

Growing up, we weren't taught that at all. Just taught not to do laundry during the 9 days. Nobody said anything about wearing dirty clothes. We wore fresh clothes each day just didn't launder them afterwards.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Growing up, we weren't taught that at all. Just taught not to do laundry during the 9 days. Nobody said anything about wearing dirty clothes. We wore fresh clothes each day just didn't launder them afterwards.

The issue is wearing fresh clothes and doing laundry.
We pre-wear our clothes for about a half hour to get the freshness out of them. Another option bedieved is to walk on them.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:23 am
I got a teenager coming home today from camp with a weeks worth of dirty clothes. Don't know how he will have enough clothes for another 10 days.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 7:32 am
Iymnok wrote:
The issue is wearing fresh clothes and doing laundry.
We pre-wear our clothes for about a half hour to get the freshness out of them. Another option bedieved is to walk on them.

Only ever saw that in camp. Some of girls would sit on top of their clean laundry or put all their clothes on at once before the 9 days. That's not the way I, and others, grew up.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
I got a teenager coming home today from camp with a weeks worth of dirty clothes. Don't know how he will have enough clothes for another 10 days.

Wow, I can't believe they arranged him coming home this way. He should have gotten home yesterday at least. Good luck!!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
If ur allowed to work out like that I think ur allowed to wash the clothes .

If dh agrees, AYLOR both questions.

Worse case scenario, I guess at least you'll really really feel the churban this year.

1) What's the halachic question about being allowed to exercise?
2) I agree with asking a rabbi, but why ask DH?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:31 am
oliveoil wrote:

I do. You don't need more then 2 sets of linen to get through ten days. Everyone needs 10 outfits and ten sets of underwear. Socks, I probably have enough, but I can't be sure because none of us ever wear socks. And you don't need more then 20 towels for a family of 5. So unless there is some unexpected laundry mishap, I don't do laundry.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:54 am
amother wrote:

I have the same situation and I asked a rav about it. He said if he doesn't have enough clothing I can wash what I need.
My issue is storing the nonessential dirty camp laundry for the 9 days. Ugh. Mad

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
I have the same situation and I asked a rav about it. He said if he doesn't have enough clothing I can wash what I need.
My issue is storing the nonessential dirty camp laundry for the 9 days. Ugh. Mad

Hang them up on hangers in the laundry room or shower rod so they have air.
Maybe give them in to the laundromat and pick up when you need them/when 9 days are over.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry