Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What is up with this curiosity about peoples personal habits
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:07 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Just like that, or the correct line?

Ok.

What is the correct line?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:08 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
I'm on a few Facebook groups, some Jewish and some not. People ask questions like these all the time. Way more intimate ones too. I always assumed that it came up because of a debate they had with their spouse or because they're wondering if they should really be doing x more often or if they don't have to do it as often as they are.

I agree. I think this may be one of those generation gap things, because in my fb groups, some Jewish some not, similar questions come up. I think our generation just overshares and talks about everything more than other generations did.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:38 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Ok.

What is the correct line?

damned, not darned (or is the autobowdlerizer more subtle than usual)?
ETA: you can say that here? I feel like reporting myself.

Last edited by imasoftov on Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:49 pm
imasoftov wrote:
damned, not darned (or is the autobowdlerizer more subtle than usual)?

I watched the rodgers and hammersteins version many times as a child, and aunt eller said "danged" not darned or damned.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:58 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I watched the rodgers and hammersteins version many times as a child, and aunt eller said "danged" not darned or damned.

I checked some more, turns out that the script says damned but the movie says danged because 1950's.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 1:18 pm
No, I can't say most of my groups discuss this, certainly not so obsessively.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 2:26 pm
mame1 wrote:
I agree that conformity is a huge issue. I don't understand why any group of women within a community is raised to believe that they must be exactly alike. That goes for men too. They aren't given the skills to reach for the stars. Mazel tov to the few that break out of that mold, that they are able to be such examples and show that you don't have to sacrifice your values to succeed. How do parents give tools to their children when they don't have them? I don't know what the answer to that is. I think it's natural to want your children to do better than yourself. Maybe this is something that is lacking.

It's an interesting point and it's a shame.

Forget "succeeding" and "reaching for the stars". How about just being happy being yourself, "successful" or not, and not forcing yourself to be a clone of everyone else on the block? A garden full of red long stemmed roses is lovely but how boring. Much nicer to have an array of many different plants, blooming in different colors at different times, some tall, some short, some for fragrance and some for taste, some for healing and some just to look at.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 5:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
MY, I heard the PNW is getting some intense and unusual heat.I won't ask what you're doing to stay cool but I hope that you and yours are safe and comfortable.

Thanks Fridge it cools down enough for sleeping. I spent the morning chauffeuring some seniors to the grocery store, dropping them back to their homes and then picking them up again and dropping them at their cooling stations. I just wish it would cool down enough to clean house.

It won't make 100 here today (it was 110 yest.), the big problem is the wildfire smoke and inversion. Air quality stinks.

This too shall pass.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:34 pm
Over a decade ago when I was still learning how to manage a household (and wasn't succeeding Smile ) I could have easily been such a poster asking how many times a week others cleaned their bathroom. I wasn't finding the time or strength to fit in more than the once a week scrub down, but I realized the bathroom needed to be cleaned more often.
So I asked around (sisters) to find out how often the bathroom actually should be cleaned so I could push myself to do so. And here I am today. Tongue Out I totally understand such threads.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Thanks Fridge it cools down enough for sleeping. I spent the morning chauffeuring some seniors to the grocery store, dropping them back to their homes and then picking them up again and dropping them at their cooling stations. I just wish it would cool down enough to clean house.

It won't make 100 here today (it was 110 yest.), the big problem is the wildfire smoke and inversion. Air quality stinks.

This too shall pass.

Tizku l'mitzvos!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Tizku l'mitzvos!

Amen

Well I was wrong with the temp, it is 107, but it only feels like 105 LOL It's supposed to be a balmy 94 tomorrow. That I can handle.

Greenbelle

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:44 pm
Aylat,
I actually looked up the word voyeurism... not sure your usage is correct.
but thanx for posting the word, so I looked it up Smile
I think we are a "stepford wives" society.
we have lots of other good qualities but being cookie cutter people aint one of em.
Growing up, my father used to sing the songs from Oklahoma; he had a trained operatic voice. I remember that one, loved it!

Aylat

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 1:12 am
You're right Greenbelle. Didn't know it was connected to s@xual gratification - didn't mean that here!

tigerwife

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 1:52 am
spikta wrote:
It may also be an issue of growing up with a cleaning lady + marrying young and not living alone before marriage.
If someone else always does your laundry and changes your sheets, it becomes invisible to you. Thus, you could get married at 21, without money and/or need for a cleaner, and find yourself not knowing how to manage a household. Some things are self explanatory, like - wash the dishes in the sink, do laundry when you run out of clean clothes. Some things are not, and it might be awkward to ask, because you don't want to be thought of as childish, unkempt and incompetent. So you ask anonymously on the internet.
That's my theory anyway Smile

Pretty much this. Not everything boils down to conformity. Some people just want to know, some want to show off, and some just love to yenta. And the first time you see the thread is more interesting than the fifth, and there are new posters joining every day.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 6:05 am
Aylat wrote:
You're right Greenbelle. Didn't know it was connected to s@xual gratification - didn't mean that here!

Oh I think the term voyeurism is spot on. It's exactly the word I would have chosen. Not that it's literally s@xual gratification (although there is an element of that I'm sure, esp when people ask about intimate matters) but in the figurative sense of an unseemly interest in other people's private affairs
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics