Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Could a Jew win a trial?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 2:01 am
Lawyers said it's too hard.
Not a criminal case.
Anybody has something to share?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 2:20 am
No advice, no experience here.

Just want to say that it sounds like you're going through something rough, and I want to send you an anonymous hug.

Of course, Jews win and lose trials all the time. I hope you get the outcome you are hoping for.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 2:57 am
Jews win trials all the time. Whether you win generally depends on the strength of your case, not your religion. It sounds like your lawyer doesn't think you have a case. I'm sorry for your troubles, hope you find some relief.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 3:08 am
Surely jews win. Not recommended to have a trial during the 9 days of Av an I think a trial in the month of Adar is supposed to increase your chances.

life is fun

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:51 am
My friend's just walked into court right Now!! This minute. Let's hope and daven she wins !

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
Lawyers said it's too hard.

Did the lawyer mention religion?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:10 am
imasoftov wrote:
Did the lawyer mention religion?

Yes!
He said that for a person that is/looks Jewish, it's very hard.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
Jews win trials all the time. Whether you win generally depends on the strength of your case, not your religion. It sounds like your lawyer doesn't think you have a case. I'm sorry for your troubles, hope you find some relief.

Lawyer wants us to settle and not go ahead. We had a lot of damage and the settlement is a joke.
If he doesn't believe my case, why did he take it? He went ahead with the motion .

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
Lawyer wants us to settle and not go ahead. We had a lot of damage and the settlement is a joke.
If he doesn't believe my case, why did he take it? He went ahead with the motion .

I think you have to ask your lawyer about his reasoning here. We don't know the facts.

CDL

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:42 am
How did you choose / find this lawyer?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

Trial is hard work. Is he being paid on the hour or is this on contingency?
What sort of case?
I don't think looking Jewish is a deal breaker. If the facts can be proven there is hope.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:43 am
Settlements are usually a joke. I also refused a settlement because after all is said and done I'm left with astronomical medical bills. And the settlement amount they offered was a drop in the ocean. A joke.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:53 am
Curious where you live OP. I can't believe this is a question if you live in/ near any major U.S. city. On the other hand if you live in some hick town....?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:04 am
I don't get it.
Yes, they do.
My husband was testified with kippa on, too. The only ones who tried to mess him up about that were frei Jews. The non Jewish judges still declared for him.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:14 am
Sometimes the money u spend on the trial alone & lawyer fees.... end up being more then the settlement so it doesn't pay.
But I don't think being Jewish has anything with winning or not. You need a good lawyer that can present a good case.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:24 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Sometimes the money u spend on the trial alone & lawyer fees.... end up being more then the settlement so it doesn't pay.
But I don't think being Jewish has anything with winning or not. You need a good lawyer that can present a good case.

Well, you need a good case to begin with.

No one will ever be entirely pleased with a settlement. That's because its a compromise. You'll never get everything that you want in a settlement, because for the other side, that's called "losing," and they can do that without settling, so that might as well roll the dice. OTOH, there's no such thing as an airtight case, so by settling, you reduce your risks as well.

Its beyond absurd to say that a Jew cannot win a civil action, except, perhaps, in the trial were taking place in Syria or Iraq. You should sit down with counsel to find out what s/he really thinks of the case, including your chance of prevailing and how much s/he thinks you can recover if you do prevail. People often have an exaggerated expectation of recovery.

If the case was taken on a contingency, some contingent fee attorneys operate on the basis of fast settlement; they don't expect to go to trial, and don't want to do so. But you're not obligated to settle. Your retainer agreement should spell out what happens if you refuse what they consider to be a good settlement.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:41 am
If your attorney was hired on contingency then of course he wants you to settle because he gets a cut for small amount of work.
Did you check to see if he's actually a trial lawyer? Most attorneys settle and never see the courtroom. What they do is negotiate.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 12 2017, 5:39 pm
My father represented Dovid Werdyger in a case once and he came into court dressed as any Chassid. They won.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics