Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you work if you werent actually walking away with a/t?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 10:37 am
As others have pointed out, it's not a simple question because dropping out of the work force completely will mean that your long term earnings and career opportunities will be badly impacted and you will never catch up.

Husbands die or get sick. Divorces happen and it's important that women (at least IMHO) are able to provide for themselves and their families as much as possible.

That said, if you have no skills and are working at a dead end job, perhaps instead of working, use the time to get a degree or advance your professional training. As consuming as child care is, you are still better able to go to school and do homework than when you are working 9 - 5 AND running a household.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:29 pm
simba wrote:
That is considered walking away with something. If your salary is $-7 an hour nad you are payin a babysitter $11, you then need to have a car to commute and buy lunch a few times a week you are left with nothing to contribute to household expenses hence you would be in the same financial position if you stayed at home.

Huh? Women who work need to buy lunch a few things a week?! What's wrong with did from home?

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Huh? Women who work need to buy lunch a few things a week?! What's wrong with did from home?

This. I pack my lunch every day. What am I missing?

InnerMe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:59 pm
watergirl wrote:

Nothing, except the understanding that what may work for you might not work for someone else.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:35 pm
salt wrote:
Your entire pay check is being eaten up by what. I don't understand?
If it's being eaten up on groceries and bills I would work, because otherwise, what would I pay that with?
If it's being eaten up on child care, then no point working.
Not on food and bills and not on childcare (children are past that age)

The pay is not high, so the take home pay is being eaten up by my gas to get to work and possibly some after school activities for the kids. And maybe a bit left over, but not a big amount so I dont feel like Im really making anything. Does that make sense? Sad

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
No. Which is why instead of working now (since my 2nd baby was born), I went back to school so I don't have this problem forever...
I wish I could but we dont have the money for that (catch 22 completely)

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:36 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Is there room to advance?
No, its a small company and its an office job.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:38 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Sure. My paycheck gets eaten up by paying tuition and a mortgage. Had I not worked I'd be in debt. So I don't have money for savings , at least it's paying my bills.
But thats not what I mean (I am the OP). I mean the salary I am making is not going towards things like tuition and our mortgage. Its going toward my gas to get to and from work and then my childrens after school activities (which are not a must, like mortgage and food for example)

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
So if you're talking about losing most of your paycheck to childcare and related expenses, yes, as long as you could afford it and there was room for advancement in the field. I think one of the main reasons women often have far less lifetime earning potential in a particular field is because they drop out to raise children. Of course there's nothing wrong with that if you want to be home with them full time, but often staying in the workforce does far more than fill gaps in your resume-- it allows you to build necessary skills and experience and to stay current in a rapidly changing world. That's pretty valuable if you do plan to return at some point down the road.
No, my paycheck is not being lost to things like that.
My job has no availability for growth, so while your post may be true for some, it is just not true for me at all.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:44 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
Most your paycheck may go towards childcare now but if you stop working, how will you pay tuition once your kid starts school?
It doesnt go toward child care (im not sure why everyone thought this, I didnt say so in my OP at all)
And I am in Israel. Tuition is negligible really. Yes, it gets higher, but nothing like in america. I pay, at the moment, around $500 a year for school per child.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:43 pm
watergirl wrote:

On the days I bring my own lunch, I am a mess in the evenings. Buying lunch means that I get to leave my desk for a bit. There is a store nearby. Otherwise I eat lunch and work at the same time.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
Not on food and bills and not on childcare (children are past that age)

The pay is not high, so the take home pay is being eaten up by my gas to get to work and possibly some after school activities for the kids. And maybe a bit left over, but not a big amount so I dont feel like Im really making anything. Does that make sense? Sad

You are spending your pay on extras for the kids - you made money to pay for for that. You’re a great mom.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
It doesnt go toward child care (im not sure why everyone thought this, I didnt say so in my OP at all)

Because that is the major expense associated with working outside the home for most parents.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
But thats not what I mean (I am the OP). I mean the salary I am making is not going towards things like tuition and our mortgage. Its going toward my gas to get to and from work and then my childrens after school activities (which are not a must, like mortgage and food for example)

Are you making $100 a week?

MrsDash

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
By this I mean, you made a small salary and you realized that your entire pay check was going to be eaten up and you would have nothing left to actually put away a month?

I’m currently in this situation, however, I’m working on moving up in my field, within the company, and honestly, I absolutely LOVE my job! I wouldn’t want it any other way.

trixx

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 12:54 am
Op, being able to afford extracurriculars for the kids would be reason enough for me. Assuming I liked the job well enough.

ora_43

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 4:52 am
amother wrote:
No, my paycheck is not being lost to things like that.
My job has no availability for growth, so while your post may be true for some, it is just not true for me at all.

She wasn't talking just about advancing at your current workplace.

You also need to look at your options for growth in general, ie, at any relevant job, in any workplace. For example, if you apply for another job in a year, having your current workplace on your resume instead of an empty space will almost certainly help you. If your boss gives you a recommendation, that will also help. If you have learned any new skills (eg familiarity with the latest version of Word) that can help. Etc.

Your next job won't necessarily be the same as this job. Even if people working in your current position get paid the same everywhere, you could still have career growth by going in a slightly different direction.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 5:01 am
amother wrote:
And I am in Israel. Tuition is negligible really. Yes, it gets higher, but nothing like in america. I pay, at the moment, around $500 a year for school per child.

Doesn't school in Israel end pretty early and parents need to pay for afterschool care?

If your pay is not going to childcare is it going to? Transport? Clothing? Takeout? Or is the pay really low?

I agree with the others - if there is room for advancement its worth taking. Or if it looks good on a CV as Ora said.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 5:25 am
If you are in Israel, isn't transport usually paid for under נסיעות?
Anyway, I would probably stay at such a job only if it would help my resume.

imasinger

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 6:31 am
If you haven't done so already, OP, you might try making a list of the pros and cons of staying at this job.

Given what you posted -- a pittance of income, no room for advancement, not much enjoyment of the work -- I wouldn't want to stay, even to fund an extracurricular that the kids are tepid about. But maybe there is more to the picture.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics