Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best public schools areas in NYC?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 1:44 pm
It's been VERY hard for us paying for yeshivas. It looks like soon it will come to an end. I rather not hear opinions about this over here, yeshiva tuition will always be an issue. So we rather move to a bigger apartment and expend our family rather than still be living in a one bedroom and not being able to ever move (or have more kids) because we can't save money for an apartment while paying for yeshiva. Currently we live in Queens. I'm looking for an area that has really good public schools (elementary & HS) with a good number of jewish kids as well. I want us to move to the area of the good public schools, so first I'm looking for a school. I prefer to stay in Queens, but can also be out. Any ideas?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:38 pm
I don't know about Queens public schools, but have you tried contacting Oorah to see if they can help you with tuition? Their goal is help kids in public school be able to pay to switch to yeshivos, so perhaps if they hear that you're about to switch to public school due to cost, they can help you be able to afford to stay in your current yeshivos.

ven

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:38 pm
A website like this?

https://www.niche.com/k12/sear.....york/

Shoshana37

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:44 pm
Oorah helps only for public school kids. They wait till you actually go to public school and then they help you. None of these organizations help until it’s too late. Unfortunately we are in this situation and we are paying for tuitions with credit card and keep getting our selves deeper and deeper in the whole.

I’m sorry OP you feel this way I unfortunately don’t know any good public schools in NY.
Good luck and lots of hugs to you

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:48 pm
what about the Hebrew Charter school? There is one in Manhattan, another in Brooklyn.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:52 pm
Nechmas Yisroel should be able to help you. Good luck!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:54 pm
If you’ll move out of NY, look into Beachwood (Ohio). Lots of frum kids in the public school system, and it’s a great school and neighborhood. Cost of living is also very low.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:01 pm
I would think Park Slope area in Brooklyn would have a really good public school.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:08 pm
District 26 in Queens. Best district in NYC and it includes many frum areas like fresh meadows, jamaica estates and hillcrest. I am sure there are many Jewish kids in the schools, although the majority are Asian. Forest Hills has many Jewish kids in public school as well, mostly Bukharian.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:28 pm
Mill basin, Georgetown, and Bergen Beach have excellent elementary schools. The HLA charter school (k-8) is also located in the area and district residents have priority in the lottery. There are a number of excellent high schools throughout the city that students can apply to irregardless of borough or neighborhood.

I know you didn't ask, but I send a child to be'er hagolah and am very pleased with the school and the education. They're reasonable with tuition and bus students in from Queens.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
what about the Hebrew Charter school? There is one in Manhattan, another in Brooklyn.

This is not religious at all, they just teach hebrew as a language.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:58 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Mill basin, Georgetown, and Bergen Beach have excellent elementary schools. The HLA charter school (k-8) is also located in the area and district residents have priority in the lottery. There are a number of excellent high schools throughout the city that students can apply to irregardless of borough or neighborhood.

I know you didn't ask, but I send a child to be'er hagolah and am very pleased with the school and the education. They're reasonable with tuition and bus students in from Queens.

OP here... what kind of school is be'er hagolah? how religious is it? co-ed? till what grade? could you give an estimate for the tuition? I believe I heard a little bit about it and that's in brooklyn... not sure I want them to commute so far away, but if it's worth it and they have GREAT secular and religious studies, I might consider.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
This is not religious at all, they just teach hebrew as a language.

Yes but I imagine they would have a lot of Jewish students and probably a fair proportion of frum students too.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
Yes but I imagine they would have a lot of Jewish students and probably a fair proportion of frum students too.

They didn't the last time I spoke to someone that works there. The majority of the students weren't Jewish.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:52 pm
cnc wrote:
They didn't the last time I spoke to someone that works there. The majority of the students weren't Jewish.

It's good to have non-Jewish friends. It's how people were saved during the Holocaust. Be friendly with all of Hashem's creations, you never know when you'll need a favor from them.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:00 pm
The best schools are going to be the G&T programs. The best is probably Anderson. Tag. 30th Avenue. Lower Lab, etc. They'll have a substantial number of Jewish kids.

Other than that, bluntly, the wealthier the area, the more likely to have good schools. Upper West Side . I think a lot of a Staten Island schools are good. Check https://www.schooldigger.com/g......aspx

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:47 pm
Beer Hagolah has a good reputation for solid secular studies as well. that was years ago, don't know if that still holds true though I don't see any reason why that should have changed.
Otherwise, Nassau public schools such as Lawrence have a percentage of Jewish children.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
I would think Park Slope area in Brooklyn would have a really good public school.

The cost of living in Park Slope is extremely high.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:54 pm
Are you interested in out of town?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
District 26 in Queens. Best district in NYC and it includes many frum areas like fresh meadows, jamaica estates and hillcrest. I am sure there are many Jewish kids in the schools, although the majority are Asian. Forest Hills has many Jewish kids in public school as well, mostly Bukharian.

I know I can't get everything perfect, but I'm not sure where we could live if I look at district 26... we're thinking of renting at a bigger place for now and rent isn't cheap in fresh meadows/hillcrest area. I'm looking for really good public school, but I do know the further you get away from a jewish community, the more affordable the apartments (in some areas) but then I really don't want to be far away...especially not far away from a shul. I'm not interested in living in forest hills (lived there before). I've never sent anyone to public, but do we HAVE to live in district 26 in order to get into the school or can we live near the district and send kids with school buses?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics