Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
FYI: AN EYE OPENER
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 9:00 am
Since Friday 4 PM (New York Time) :
I was curious to see of how much interest the video of our Gadol Hador- R' Chaim Kanievsky would be here relative to other posts.

In order of interest, number of views:

Sequential thread titles .... (1390 minus 722) 668 views

So there's a chicken (596 minus 154) 442 views

Are you high maintenance (2592 minus 2232) 360 views

Does your husband make his bed (1555 minus 1264) 291 views

Video of R' Chaim Kanievsky (47 minus 14) 33 views

Interesting.

Does this tell you anything?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 9:08 am
That - girls just wanna have fun ?

Mevater

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 10:06 am
chocolate moose wrote:
That - girls just wanna have fun ?
This sort of proves it.

BUT when do girls morph into women?

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 10:15 am
hey why can't people go both ways ... have your FUN and also daven and learn ...

I too ask that same question when it comes to the people saying tehillim or not saying tehillim What shock

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:07 am
I don't see the big deal. It's only if you're yeshivish that it would be of interest.

There are numerous Lubavitchers on this forum who don't even know who he is. ditto for the modern orthodox. ditto for the chaseedish.

What does this tell me? That a large percentage of the yeshivishe crowd doesn't have Internet access? That they don't read imamother?

Would R' Chaim K. be pleased to know that this video is posted on the Internet?

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:46 am
Motek wrote:
I don't see the big deal. It's only if you're yeshivish that it would be of interest.

There are numerous Lubavitchers on this forum who don't even know who he is. ditto for the modern orthodox. ditto for the chaseedish.

What does this tell me? That a large percentage of the yeshivishe crowd doesn't have Internet access? That they don't read Imamother?

I agree with Motek's post.

letsbehonest, I'm not sure really what you're getting at.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:54 am
I never even saw it. I maybe spent 10 minutes on this site on Friday, a few minutes after Shabbos and now I am on today. I usually look at things that I have some understanding of and since I don't know much about Litvish rabbis, it usually would escape my view. It should not be viewed as a slight in any way to the rabbi.

shayna82

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 12:02 pm
never heard of him, and frankly I dont come on here to watch videos of rabbeim... still dont get what your point is

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 12:02 pm
I don't want to get in trouble so anonymous:
Not everyone has elevated Rabbis to a G-dly status. Why would it be of interest to see a video of a Rabbi? Mussar online?
I don't like the holier-than-thou attitude of the OP.
Some of us have real Jewish lives without icons... imagine that!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 12:27 pm
Quote:

Hmmm you have a point Idea

Though I do agree too with the point the op is making. Smile
Also lets be honest when it comes to Rabbeim I'd rather concentrate and read about them over a shabbos tish, then view it online over a couple of minutes, especially somone whom I havent heard of before What

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 12:31 pm
Another thing that comes to mind is that if the thread title had been "R' Chaim Kanievsky does _____ on video," that may interest those who are interested in ________.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 1:04 pm
There are loads of sites with D'vrei Torah and news of gedolim. I am sure that many posters here also use those for that purpose. The imamother site is for friendship and discussion. Posts that are informational are not really conducive to discussion. There is a place for them here and some people will appreciate the information but there will usually only be a handful of posts.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 1:15 pm
Speaking for myself, it's because I come on Imamother primarily for entertainment. I also do not consider it a source for a halacha or a mouthpiece for the gedolim. If I want to know what R' Chaim Kanievsky said, I would ask my husband - not look here!

That is a good point, that many of the ladies on this site are not Litvish. At first I was taken aback that people hadn't heard of him - I think I've heard of many Chassidishe Rebbes, as well as MO Rabbis, etc. - but OTOH, it is very unlikely that I would click on a link to see what they had to say.

Not to mention that I almost never watch video clips.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 1:50 pm
I used to post tons of fun stuff here, but Yael asked me to stop, and said she wants our site to be more thinking/thought provoking.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 6:00 pm
Oh, dear! My thoughts are provoked enough! Wink

Seriously, like a number of Litvish women on the site, I'm a secret Chassidishe wannabe. I've done a fair amount of analysis on the reasons for this, and while they're not germaine to this discussion, let's just say that in a variety of areas, Chassidishe women are a good influence on me. So the "making appropriate friends" element is really why I'm here.

Also, keep in mind that these videos are often linked on other websites devoted to learning or news within a specific community, so people may have already viewed them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 7:10 pm
I come here for entertainment mainly too, but sure I heard of him. Maybe the video would interest dh as he's Litvish and certainly not the "secret wannabe something else" style. But I'm too lazy lol

imala

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 8:41 pm
As someone litivish on this site that seems to have a large lubavitch crowd, it still is eye opening to me that many of you never heard of R' Chaim Kanievsky! Did you never hear of the Steipler Gaon (his father) or the Chazon Ish! True they don't have billboards of them on the West Side Highway.....

Personally, I didn't see the post, and even if I did, I may have not clicked to view it. But that you don't know who he is is astounding to me!!!!

GAMZu

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 10:20 pm
I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree with it.
Firstly, I usually only have time to check "my posts"- meaning the topics I posted in. After I do that, I check the main board. I usually get to check it once or twice a week.
So firstly, I haven't seen it.
Secondly, I never click videos because if my kids are sleeping it disturbs them ,and if they're up they run to see it, too and request me to play it over and over and over again. So I never watch videos.

I'll also second what the others said- that ppl who don't know much about this Rov wouldn't really be interested in seeing a video of him.

Mevater

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:05 pm
Aside from the fact that R' Kanievsky is considered by most to be the Gadol Hador in the Litvishe world, relatives who live in Israel have told me that he is beloved by Jews in Israel of diverse backgrounds- even totally irreligious Jews, who come to him at all hours of the day and night for Eitzahs and Brachos. His door is open long hours, despite his old age, he should live and be well, Amush. I've even heard of people going to the Rebbitzen for Eitzahs and Brachos.

Personally, I was taken aback to see the video offered on Yeshivaworld, but I am sure there is a good reason for it being on the Internet and not a secret to the Rav (who I have heard much about, but haven't met personally). My husband and kids were very impressed and talk about their memory of meeting with him (and my daughter who met the Rebbitzen), long afterwards. They are both remarkably humble and Tmimusdik people.

Squash

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:13 pm
Being chasidish myself, I never thought that R' Kanievsky shlita would not be known to chasidim or lubavitchers. He is a world renowned gadol hador.

I don't know about lubavitch, but I think it's safe to say that for the most part chasidim are very familiar with the Rav. Or maybe I'M the odd one out? hm.

Whatever the case may be, I did not see the thread about the video at all. Still haven't located it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics