Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School for almost 9 year old

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 2:15 pm
We are moving this summer so we are looking into schools for my almost 9 year old daughter. We are down to 2 schools. One school is 10 minutes away, but academically average. The other option is a school where my daughter will be on the school bus for about 45 minutes each way, but has excellent academics. I am torn because my husband wants the latter. He thinks distance of a school should not be a main factor. He doesn't want her academics to suffer because I'm too afraid of our daughter traveling every day. I really am torn. WWYD?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 2:27 pm
First question, did you get an acceptance letter from either school? If not, first do that - you might not need to think about decision. If you're already accepted, what school better suits your daughter? I would make my kid travel only if the second school is way better than the closer one. Is your daughter average, or does she need more learning than the average kid her age? Put yourself aside and think of her.
Also, what about the parent body. Where will your child fit in better and where will you feel comfortable?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
We are moving this summer so we are looking into schools for my almost 9 year old daughter. We are down to 2 schools. One school is 10 minutes away, but academically average. The other option is a school where my daughter will be on the school bus for about 45 minutes each way, but has excellent academics. I am torn because my husband wants the latter. He thinks distance of a school should not be a main factor. He doesn't want her academics to suffer because I'm too afraid of our daughter traveling every day. I really am torn. WWYD?

I traveled a distance every day for high school. It was partially my choice and completely worth it for me. However I already had local neighborhood friends and I was able to sleep over at friends closer to school when needed (or wanted) and eventually I was able to drive myself. As an elementary school child new to the area I think traveling would be a terrible idea unless she would be on a bus with enough other girls to make good friends. Otherwise she could end up a social outcast and miserable.

momX4

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:19 pm
My 6 year old is on the bus in the morning for 15 min, but it takes her 45 min to 1 hr to get home from school.

My 11 ds is on bus for 45 min each way.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:30 pm
45 minutes without traffic is ok. My 6 year old is on the bus an hour because of traffic, nothing to do about it. But if the route will have traffic & take over an hour, it's not a good idea to put your child through this every day if you have another option.

Petra

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 10:47 pm
My vote would be for the academically average closer school. If it were my kids, I know they would get so fried by the end of the day if they had a long bus ride and then school work when they finally got home. It would negate whatever supposed academic superiority the school offers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children