Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you an hsp? Poll
1  2  Next

Do you consider yourself to be a highly sensitive person?
Yes  
 58%  [ 64 ]
No  
 41%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 110

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 3:40 pm
The other thread made me wonder. Are highly sensitive people more likely to prefer expressing themselves in a medium that allows for articulation of every nuance?

For clarity, hsp here is referring to sensitivity to stimuli, environment, mood, etc. It is NOT being used to refer to people who take offense easily.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 4:06 pm
I think people who are highly sensitive are more likely to click on this thread Wink but I also think that writing where you don't have to deal with all the loud noises, close contact... at social events is going to be more agreeable to someone who is sensitive.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 4:12 pm
Actually, I clicked to learn what HSP stands for.
I think I’m not.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 4:15 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Actually, I clicked to learn what HSP stands for.
I think I’m not.

Take the quiz!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 4:37 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Take the quiz!

Can you link?

I'm definitely not.
My daughter probably is. My husband also possibly.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
Can you link?

I'm definitely not.
My daughter probably is. My husband also possibly.

I know a lot of people who don't think they are, and then are.
https://hsperson.com/test/high.....test/

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:15 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I know a lot of people who don't think they are, and then are.
https://hsperson.com/test/high.....test/

I took this test and I scored a 4, so I'm not. There are some that I might have clicked on, but it's only with certain people and not in general.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:28 pm
At this moment in my life im highly sensitive. I have infertility and ppl can make me upset and very simple things like complaining abt their kids...etc

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
At this moment in my life im highly sensitive. I have infertility and ppl can make me upset and very simple things like complaining abt their kids...etc

I'm so sorry for your pain, and I totally can relate to that feeling of being very vulnerable, but this is not the type of sensitivity being referred to here. Vintage's link does a great job explaining!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
The other thread made me wonder. Are highly sensitive people more likely to prefer expressing themselves in a medium that allows for articulation of every nuance?

For clarity, hsp here is referring to sensitivity to stimuli, environment, mood, etc. It is NOT being used to refer to people who take offense easily.

Are you asking if sensitivity is why certain people post on Imamother? In my case, no. I find wedding receptions nightmarish, but I can't relate that to feeling a need to express nuance.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
Are you asking if sensitivity is why certain people post on Imamother? In my case, no. I find wedding receptions nightmarish, but I can't relate that to feeling a need to express nuance.

Seems like there is also an overlap with introversion. Wish I'd done two polls side by side, one with introversion.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so sorry for your pain, and I totally can relate to that feeling of being very vulnerable, but this is not the type of sensitivity being referred to here. Vintage's link does a great job explaining!

I find it fascinating, actually. For me it was the first time I understood why I do the things I do, liked or hated the things I liked or hated. It’s been so liberating and empowering to learn about this.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 7:03 pm
I scored 25 out of 27.
I guess that makes me very highly sensitive.
Not that I needed a quiz to tell me that Confused

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:06 pm
Thank you vintagebknyc, for posting the link, very interesting!

For those who scored high in the quiz, I really recommend the book "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron. I read this book almost twenty years ago and it really helped me a lot - it helped me understand myself and it also helped me be a better parent to my highly sensitive children.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you vintagebknyc, for posting the link, very interesting!

For those who scored high in the quiz, I really recommend the book "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron. I read this book almost twenty years ago and it really helped me a lot - it helped me understand myself and it also helped me be a better parent to my highly sensitive children.

You’re welcome. The book is great, and there’s a book for hsp children. They’re old so you can buy cheap used on amazon.

When I was turned on to this is felt like I’d been handed a final piece to my puzzle. It was like “oh, this is why I feel this way..,” it was like a primer. I score 24.

bsy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:40 pm
I scored 15. So it classified me as hsp. But knowing myself, I'd say I'm more sensory than sensitive. I don't like being in a room with loud noises for a long time. I like being physically comfortable in terms of clothes, shoes etc.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 9:16 pm
Loud noises per se don't bother me, but specific sounds, textures, smells etc bother me when other people may not even notice them. So a loud, bright, crowded room wouldn't bother me but a light that is slightly blinking or the sound crinkling plastic will completely throw me off.
I scored a 12, but it's ironic because just today someone told me I have so many sensory meshugasim. We were cooking salmon and the texture was weird, and as we were rinsing the peices I had to keep shutting the faucet because the sound it made drove me nuts.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 9:25 pm
Funny, I just re-read the test questions, and one of them is,

I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.

I just posted yesterday on the cleaning lady thread, that my guiding principle is to avoid drama. Never thought about this as due to sensitivity. But I guess if you don't get upset or overwhelmed so easily, then you're not dealing with that much drama

Zehava

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 9:32 pm
I got 21
Many of the questions were repetitive

jjudithc

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 11:38 am
Zehava wrote:
I got 21
Many of the questions were repetitive

Right. A subjective questionnaire is going to be problematic. Objective tests are being developed. They address that in this article. Also, it mentions new research showing there are 3 levels of sensitivity, not 2.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/.....eople

"But at this point, the test is the only validated tool to determine an adult’s level of sensitivity, said Francesca Lionetti, a postdoctoral research fellow at Queen Mary University of London’s School of Biological and Chemical Sciences. This can be problematic given that “assessing sensitivity with a questionnaire can increase the risk of biased responses,” she said. Researchers are working to develop an observational method for measuring sensitivity in very young children, which could further advance the understanding of Highly Sensitive People."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics