Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Nov 7th Hamodia - spelt and quinoa bread

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 4:14 am
In the november 7th Hamodia there was a recipe for spelt and quinoa bread. It looked yummy and nutritious so I tore it out. But Alas, it seems that I only tore out the first page and it must've continued on. Has anyone saved the magazine from that week? Many thanks!

Ima'la

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 4:28 am
I have it, but I don't have time to type it up now - remind me after Shabbos!

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:04 pm
Sure! Thank you!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 2:00 pm
Ok, here it is!

1 1/2 c. quinoa
3 c. water

Preheat oven to 350F. Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it off a bit; this helps remove some of its bitterness. Then place it in a pot and cook it with the water until most of the water is evaporated (it won't completely evaporate). This should take about 15-20 min. Set aside to cool slightly.

Add to the pot:
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. salt

Stir this with a spoon. Pour it into your mixer bowl now.
Add:
2 tbsp. dry yeast
3/4 c. soy milk (if you don't have it, you can use water)
2 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
4 c. spelt flour
2 eggs
An additional 1/4-1/2c. whole-wheat pastry flour for use later on

Knead it with the dough hook until you have a sticky dough that comes away from the sides of the bowl. You may need to add in some of the reserved flour now if it's too sticky.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a towel and allow it to rise until doubled in bulk (1 - 1 1/2 hrs.)

Knead it again briefly; then divide the dough into two loaves. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and lay each loaf in a pan. Cover the pan with plastic and allow to rise again for 45 min.

Bake for 35-45 min. until the top is golden-brown and crispy. Serve immediately, or let it cool off on a wire rack and freeze until use. Slice and enjoy!

Whew! My typing teacher would be proud! Let me know how it comes out - I was thinking of making it too. I've never used quinoa before. (Oh, how my friend laughed when I pronounced it "kwih-no-uh"!) Or spelt!

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 2:26 pm
Thanks for remembering! I didn't!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads