Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would u hire someone?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:38 am
I’m looking to starting a business of packing & unpacking ppls house when moving. Either entire house or only part. I live in Lkwd. Is it something ppl would hire someone for? If yes how do I go about it?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:44 am
Not in Lakewood, but I have used both such services when I've moved. Most moving companies offer packing services, so that would be competition for you unless you can offer to pack for less. It's complicated because packing services have insurance in case something gets damaged. Not sure you can offer clients insurance as an individual. Unpacking would be different, because people often need help figuring out where everything goes. Do you have experience organizing people's homes? I think that might be the way to go about it- put yourself out there as a personal organizer who specializes in moves.

amother
White

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:37 pm
Most movers offer packing service, they give boxes & all supplies needed. Like above poster said, they have insurance in case something breaks.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 1:54 pm
Tx all for ur replies. Although I love the organizing field I feel like there r so many these days. I will just be “another organizer”

mommyla

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:19 pm
To answer your question, personally I would not need or want a service like that, but some people probably would. I think there are already organizers in town who advertise unpacking services.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
Tx all for ur replies. Although I love the organizing field I feel like there r so many these days. I will just be “another organizer”

Perhaps you can be an organizer with a name for being really good at unpacking. Like, not just helping them get the stuff out of the boxes and put away, buy getting rid of the boxes for them, taking care of the stuff they end up deciding not to keep (you'd be surprised, whenever I do a purge, the stuff I choose to donate sometimes sits in the bags for a few weeks before I manage to get it to where it needs to go. Seriously, I'd purge stuff more often if someone took care of the logistics of actually getting rid it for me).

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:35 pm
There used to be ladies in Lakewood who did packing as a chessed, that might be a challenge to get ppl to pay someone to do it.
However they were not careful with wrapping items & a lot of things broke.
If you do it, you need a way to prevent breakage as best as you can, & money to cover what you can't prevent.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:

When I started studying photography 4 years ago, o worried about being just another photographer. B"H with lots of hard work, I am at the top of my game in my community and charge $1,650 a day to train others.

I'm putting this out there because there's no need to think you'll just be another one of many. You can be incredible!!!!!!!!!!

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:44 pm
You can also market yourself to seniors. My father and aunts used someone like that to help with my grandmothers apartment when she passed away. She triaged the stuff into what the family wanted, she sold some items at an estate sale and trashed the rest. They were very happy to have the help.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
I’m looking to starting a business of packing & unpacking ppls house when moving. Either entire house or only part. I live in Lkwd. Is it something ppl would hire someone for? If yes how do I go about it?

People do hire others to pack and unpack. Movers usually do the packing, but organizers unpack. They also need to have the ability to assemble things. So yes, people do hire. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

You will need to have insurance, and possibly be bonded. You certainly don't want anyone to claim that their priceless Picasso went missing on your watch.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:

[anon attack removed -watergirl as a mod]

amother
White

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:59 pm
Amother gold, your comment is totally unacalled for. OP is texting on a forum, not advertising. Do you think it's necessary to be rude now??? Seems like you're sitting & lurking waiting to pounce.

Shendellah

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You can also market yourself to seniors. My father and aunts used someone like that to help with my grandmothers apartment when she passed away. She triaged the stuff into what the family wanted, she sold some items at an estate sale and trashed the rest. They were very happy to have the help.

This is a great idea! It is so hard to deal with all of the stuff when someone, unfortunately, passes away. And depending where they live, there may be an urgency to get rid of their stuff. Although, I don't know if you want to be working in that type of emotional environment.

petiteruchy

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:14 pm
Branding yourself as a "downsizer" or "elder care" organizer who specializes in retirement home moves, or emptying a home after a death could be a way to set yourself apart.

You'll want to make relationships with charities that accept furniture, retirement and funeral homes, and geriatric social workers.

I run a charity that gives furniture to low income people and a significant number of our donations come from one or two organizers I know who specialize in those sorts of moves. You'll need to know how to get rid of furniture that's not needed.

I imagine you'll want to hire someone to help you for bigger or rush jobs. It doesn't have to be someone experienced as long as you're good at sizing up a situation quickly and delegating.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:23 pm
I would hire someone to help me pack and unpack. When I moved two years ago I hired my cleaning lady and my former cleaning lady and they packed my whole house in about two days. Then I went back to the country and my cleaning lady unpacked a lot of the house by herself. However, it was definitely very helpful that she knows me well and I trust her. I am bh moving again in a few months. She will hopefully start packing me up after the summer.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:30 pm
Omg absolutely, I hated packing with a passion

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 5:24 pm
I would love such a service but can't afford it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics