Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Whats the average take home pay for family man w no degree?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
This person makes $2500-3000 take home pay a month, depending on the season, busy or not, and with the wife working p/t he cant pay his mortgage.

How do you manage? Whats your total family income?

We have a small house. We made sure to buy only what we can afford. We are extremely careful with our spending. I live between people who also don't have degrees. So no pressure to live certain lifestyles or certain clothing. Tuition is cheaper by us. The lifestyle of everyone around me is to make everything cheap, like simchas...

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Why "men" in particular? Women work too and it's illegal to pay men more just because they are men. I started off in real job making $15/hr. Went to next place at $16/hr and felt like I got a huge raise when I got $17.50/hr. Then I became smarter and named my price. Went to $22.50/hr at next place and when they took advantage of my skill I went elsewhere and now make $60,000/year . Went from $16/hr - $33/hr over the course of 3 yrs.

OP here. May I ask what field?

The man Im asking about who needs to increase his income, isnt computer literate. He hates computers. That limits him very much because most jobs require some computer skills.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
We have a small house. We made sure to buy only what we can afford. We are extremely careful with our spending. I live between people who also don't have degrees. So no pressure to live certain lifestyles or certain clothing. Tuition is cheaper by us. The lifestyle of everyone around me is to make everything cheap, like simchas...

OP here. With a relative helping with most of tuition costs, and the wife of the person Im discussing never buys anything new, she gets everything from Gmachs they still dont have enough money every month. They cant possibly spend less, if they want to eat.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
No hourly.

Retail sales hourly? Probably a few dollars above minimum wage. It’s a tough gig. Typically sales volumes are tracked and bonuses given accordingly.

If he’s good at selling, he should move onto a better setup for salary/commission. There is a lot of money to be made in sales, but you need to figure out where.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:41 pm
My husband’s first job was around 35k now he makes well over 100 fifteen years later... he actually was making close to 100 just a few years later, but then hit some hard times for a few years. Now bh doing much better. He has a bachelors but I don’t think it made any difference. And I work part time w an advanced degree making around 80/hr.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. With a relative helping with most of tuition costs, and the wife of the person Im discussing never buys anything new, she gets everything from Gmachs they still dont have enough money every month. They cant possibly spend less, if they want to eat.

I can't say I'm never stuck. I hardly buy clothing for myself. I also work a little.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:49 pm
I think a lot depends on experience and number of years in the field.

For example when we first got married DH was probably making 35K + gas and tolls. Now he makes over 70K + gas, tolls, yom tov bonuses, and interest free loan toward car. He has a long commute and works long hours. His skills have also evolved (he is also able to work on his private time which earns additional income).

[I also work and make more then he does so we are a 2 income household - we would not be able to make it on his salary without gov't assitance or tuition breaks on just that salary]

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:08 pm
keym wrote:
Are we talking starting salary?

Because even with no degree, a family man who started at a job at say 40k annually, but works hard, is reliable, and an asset to the company gets annual raises and could work his way up.

Plus he learns particular skillsets, equipment, or goes for some retraining and he can be eligible for more raises.

I actually know quite a few men like this, who started off making 35-40k, but 20 years down the line, by the time they are marrying off their kids are making 70-80k.

That's pretty decent especially if the wife works also and they live carefully.

But obviously it depends where. In the city, 70k is worth much less than oot.

Didn't read through the whole thread, but no, 70-80k for a family that is marrying off their kids is not pretty decent at all. It's actually pretty close to poverty level, IMHO. Add up all the tuitions, throw in property tax/mortgage, and that's pretty much the whole thing.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:

Who are you to them?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:

So let's add up the cheap tuition, shall We?

Let's say this hypothetical family has two kids in high school, four in elementary, and one in playgroup. High school - let's say 6,000 a child. Elementary - 4500 a child. Playgroup - 2500? Thats $32,500 a year. Divided by 12 - $2700 a month. And we didn't start with camp... how do you eat on $3000 a month take home pay?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:33 pm
Dh has no degree and makes about 150k a year. (Started 8 years ago at 40k at current job...)

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
Dh has no degree and makes about 150k a year. (Started 8 years ago at 40k at current job...)

What field and how much experience?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
What field and how much experience?

Started with two years experience and in real estate related field.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Who are you to them?

Irrelevant, just someone who they come to for money.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:58 pm
My DH works in retail in Brooklyn and takes home $1000 a week.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:02 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
So let's add up the cheap tuition, shall We?

Let's say this hypothetical family has two kids in high school, four in elementary, and one in playgroup. High school - let's say 6,000 a child. Elementary - 4500 a child. Playgroup - 2500? Thats $32,500 a year. Divided by 12 - $2700 a month. And we didn't start with camp... how do you eat on $3000 a month take home pay?

Still have a little kids. Only paying tuition for one. I started her in school later than everyone her age. My next one skipped nursery too. Will worry when I have a bigger family. We don't eat chicken every day. We don't buy salmon every shabbos. We make use of WIC.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
Still have a little kids. Only paying tuition for one. I started her in school later than everyone her age. My next one skipped nursery too. Will worry when I have a bigger family. We don't eat chicken every day. We don't buy salmon every shabbos. We make use of WIC.

It's not hard to live on a <100k budget with young kids who aren't in school. We did it for several years. It's a different story once you have to pay tuition for a hunch of them.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:29 pm
My husb earns 150k. Plus benefits. No degree. I earn 100k plus bonus/benefits no degree. Its doable. Real jobs. Hard work. No fil business.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
My husb earns 150k. Plus benefits. No degree. I earn 100k plus bonus/benefits no degree. Its doable. Real jobs. Hard work. No fil business.

Im no youngster and this is at least a bit out of the ordinary.

Can you fill everyone in on the fields youre both in, and if either of you needed any courses at all to get into those fields?

Are you both considered above average bright or have some unique talent?

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:58 am
To OP: you know there is no linear relationship between intelligence and income, right? It's not like a man of "average intelligence" will definitely make within a certain range whereas someone less smart will definitely make below that range and someone smart will definitely make more. It depends what your talents are and what field you choose to enter!! Even without a degree.

For example, a man may choose to be a cashier or a waiter and make around $30k.

He may be good with his hands and choose to become a plumber and make around $50k (or a LOT more, I'm just googling national averages).

Or he may have a gift of gab so great he could charm a snake out of a cage full of mice, and choose to be an insurance salesman and make a boatload if he does well.

Derech teva, everything depends on how good you are at something and how much the market will pay for it. Of course Hashem is running everything, but without a neis galui this is the way He generally runs the world.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics