Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Update!Do I have to be scared to go to macys Manhattan today
1  2  Next

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:58 am
I just realized it's Halloween do I have to be scared to go?

Last edited by tweety1 on Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:00 am
tweety1 wrote:
I just realized it's Halloween do I have to be scared to go?

What are you afraid of? Clowns? Being abducted? Horrible traffic? Being tempted by candy?

Share, and we'll help give you a realistic concept of what you'll be facing.

When I lived in NYC, the only thing I ever saw was drag queens, and they only come out at night. They're quite harmless, BTW.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:01 am
During the day I wouldn't be scared. How are you planning to go home? By train? I would head home before dark.

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:02 am
With all what's going on in the country these days if Halloween makes it worse?

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:02 am
Taking a car in and dh or Uber will pick me up

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:07 am
Why are you scared of going to Macy's on Halloween?

Maybe people will be wearing goofy or scary costumes, but most adults won't let that bother them from getting on with their daily lives.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:17 am
tweety1 wrote:
Taking a car in and dh or Uber will pick me up

I can't see it being a problem. Most people work or have school and aren't looking to bother anyone. Once it turns dark there might be rowdy teen and young adults misbehaving. No one throws eggs during the day especially not in herald square that has a large police presence usually.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:54 am
I would make sure I was back before the sun begins to fade. If dh picks you up less of a problem.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:59 am
I’m literally not understanding what there is to be afraid of?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:00 am
watergirl wrote:
I’m literally not understanding what there is to be afraid of?

I guess you've never been pelted with raw eggs by groups of rowdy teens! Tongue Out

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
I guess you've never been pelted with raw eggs by groups of rowdy teens! Tongue Out

I grew up growing trick-or-treating and did lots of Halloween stuff before becoming a bt. Guess again. I’m still wondering why she’s afraid of going to Macy’s in Midtown Manhattan? (Yes I’ve been there many many many times).

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:22 am
My school in Brooklyn (not BP or willi) dismissed us early on Halloween so we could walk home before dark. Also one day in 9th grade I was walking with my friend and a black teen threw a rock at her that barely missed, we were very traumatized. BTW prior to that I had lived in suburbs not in NY and my town had an annual Halloween parade, event at the fire station, etc and we even gave out treats to ppl who knocked on our door. I was never scared to be out in Halloween until I came to NY.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:51 am
OP I think you are fine. But to those that find it to be a weird question, I grew up in Brooklyn and on Holloween the neighborhood teens would use the opportunity to bother the Jewish people.

The School busses carrying frum kids were pelted incessantly with eggs to the point where we had a fear of leaving the school bus and many girls would cry.

My father was walking home from shul on a Shabbos on Holloween and he arrived home with his shtreimel and bekeshe dripping with eggs.

When my mother was a single mom, she went to answer the door when the doorbell rang and there was a group of 10 boys with dozens of eggs who just started tossing raw eggs into our house!

There were stories of injuries and stitches from the force of the eggs that were thrown.

Don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:13 am
If you are inside Macy’s, no fear
Macy’s security won’t allow anything to happen
I would even venture to go to other stores, but if you are uncomfortable, don’t. There’s enough to see in Macy’s to spend the whole day.
It won’t get dark too early because they haven’t changed the clock yet.
It’s scarrier to walk around in EY, take the bus, etc. But that doesn’t stop us.
Daven and give tzeduka before and after

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:17 am
thunderstorm wrote:
OP I think you are fine. But to those that find it to be a weird question, I grew up in Brooklyn and on Holloween the neighborhood teens would use the opportunity to bother the Jewish people.

The School busses carrying frum kids were pelted incessantly with eggs to the point where we had a fear of leaving the school bus and many girls would cry.

My father was walking home from shul on a Shabbos on Holloween and he arrived home with his shtreimel and bekeshe dripping with eggs.

When my mother was a single mom, she went to answer the door when the doorbell rang and there was a group of 10 boys with dozens of eggs who just started tossing raw eggs into our house!

There were stories of injuries and stitches from the force of the eggs that were thrown.

Don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable.

All of that is incredibly horrible and anti-semitic, but did it happen in Manhattan, near Macy's?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
All of that is incredibly horrible and anti-semitic, but did it happen in Manhattan, near Macy's?

I don't know, but IMO there are a lot more crazies out there in NYC (Manhattan especially) than there was back in my day and I wouldn't even feel comfortable walking there alone on a regular day.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:56 am
Wow I work in the city, it didn't occur to me to be scared. It's a regular work day

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:22 am
ra_mom wrote:

Not in midtown Manhattan, near Macy's, I haven't.

In any case, Mischief Night in October 30; that's when they traditionally try to burn down Camden, and egg other places. Halloween should be fine. Enjoy shopping.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
If you are inside Macy’s, no fear
Macy’s security won’t allow anything to happen
I would even venture to go to other stores, but if you are uncomfortable, don’t. There’s enough to see in Macy’s to spend the whole day.
It won’t get dark too early because they haven’t changed the clock yet.
It’s scarrier to walk around in EY, take the bus, etc. But that doesn’t stop us.
Daven and give tzeduka before and after

Where in EY do you live that it is so scary to walk around?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:59 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I don't know, but IMO there are a lot more crazies out there in NYC (Manhattan especially) than there was back in my day and I wouldn't even feel comfortable walking there alone on a regular day.

Why not? Macys area? It isnt a drug infested area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics