Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
When did this minhag originate?

rosehill

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:15 pm
When did the minhag begin to name babies after the deceased? We don't see it much in Tanach, or in the Talmud.
Does anyone know when, how and why it became common practice?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:19 pm
Among the descendants of the Spanish Jews, they still name after the living as a kovod and long life segula. They often name in a very strict order: paternal grandparent, then maternal grandparent, then paternal great uncle/aunt and so on. A deceased, though, takes precedence.

melalyse

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:07 pm
Ruchel - I don't know if that is true that a deceased takes precedence. I have a friend that is Ashkenazi and her husband is Sfardi. They had major disagreements when their first son was born because she had 2 grandfathers that she wanted to name after, but he said that he wanted to name for her father. They spoke to both Ashkenazi and Sfardi rabbaim and they all said that the Sfard minhag is stronger and their son is named after his father.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:51 pm
typically, the first son and first daughter are named for the husbands parents. second son and daughter are named for the wifes parents. After that any names are up for grabs.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 7:11 am
interesting! which country?

My grandmother is Greek, and it is definitely like this among the people she knew.

rosehill

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 8:36 am
I know that Sefardim name for the living, whereas Ashkenazim name after the deceased, but that was not my question.

I want to know when we started naming after other people altogether, instead of making up names from scratch (Moshe-ki min hamayim mishitihu, Reuven-Ki Raah Hashem B'Onyi, Shimon-Ki shama Hashem ki snuah anochi etc).

GetReal

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 8:40 am
In the Gemara it says that R' Chanin passed away the day his son was born, and the baby was named Chanin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names