Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Have any words you're not sure how to pronounce but embarras
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 11:19 am
Clarissa wrote:
My husband says Feb-u-ary instead of Feb-ru-ary. This is why I don't respect him. It's almost as bad as being married to a man who says nuc-u-lar instead of nuc-le-ar, or li-berry instead of li-brar-y.

Can I get a get for this?

People look at me like I'M the stupid one when I pronounce the R in February. It makes me nuts!!! Exploding anger

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 11:50 am
Most of the words that people have problems with are not english words, eg hermes, rendesvous, (french) sean (irish)

English people have a hard time travelling through Wales and Ireland (probably scotland too, though I've never made it there) because lots of places there have unpronouncable gaelic names. Eg Llanfairpwllgwyngychgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (apparantly a real place!) Llan is something like this: chlan.

Even in England, some pronounciations don't make sense. How do americans pronounce the name Greenwich? Because in england you call it gren-itch. And Thames should be pronounced as it is written, but is called tems.

I avoid the word february (can't even spell it!) because I don't know how to say it. Words like that should be banned.

I have a problem saying the word ferry, as car ferry. I make it sound like fairy.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:02 pm
okay I got a confession

when I say "twelve" & "twenty" it comes out with a ch so it's "chwelve"

same for "straight" I say "shtraight"

and for another annoying word ... "drawer" I cannot say it ... it won't come out of my mouth ... my mouth gets stuck ... so dangit just go put your stuff away!!!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:04 pm
greenfire wrote:
okay I got a confession

and for another annoying word ... "drawer" I cannot say it ... it won't come out of my mouth ... my mouth gets stuck ... so dangit just go put your stuff away!!!

There was a cheftestant like that on the tv show "Top Chef." She'd say, "I made cheuna," instead of tuna.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:09 pm
Raisin wrote:
Llanfairpwllgwyngychgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (apparantly a real place!) Llan is something like this: chlan.
Yep, it's a real place. I've been there! It's a little town in Anglesey, Wales. They've built their whole tourism industry on the name. There's not much to do there except take pictures next to the railway station or post office.

chillax

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:13 pm
There's a last name (Asian I think) that's spelled Nguyen, but it's pronounced like the word when.
Odd.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:18 pm
I had a student with the last name Nguyen - it was pronounced "new jen"

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:23 pm
I have a friend names Nguyen. She prononces it en gwee en

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:25 pm
my son had an ortho with the name Nguyen ... he pronounced it "win"

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:27 pm
Clarissa wrote:
greenfire wrote:
okay I got a confession

There was a cheftestant like that on the tv show "Top Chef." She'd say, "I made cheuna," instead of tuna.

lol my tuna is fine thanks Wink

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:31 pm
for those of you who are harry potter fans--

how many of you think seamus is pronounce see-mus? I know so many people who were shocked to find it pronounced shay-mus. I'm pretty sure everyone's over the hermione pronunciation by now, but that took a while too.

I know someone who pronounces "annihilate" as "anniliate." I never understood that one, but to each his own Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:53 pm
Raisin wrote:
Llanfairpwllgwyngychgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (apparantly a real place!) Llan is something like this: chlan.

I think thats a good place for an imamother meet Drunken Smile

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:06 pm
check this video out for language arts here in NEPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMI2jb16eo

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:13 pm
MorahS wrote:
amother wrote:
I am never sure how this designer brand is pronounced. anyone know for certain?

hermes (ive heard a few possibitlies like Ermez, Hermay, Ermay, Hermez)

amother cuz embarrassed

I think it's Ermez, since the initial H in French is not pronounced.

Yes, it's Ermez. I got confused between all the ways listed above.

dmum

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:32 pm
speaking of unpronounceable irish names, what about siobhan? it took me aaaages to figure out that you say it "sh'vonne". I knew someone called siobhan and didn't put 2 and 2 together for a long time... one day I got an xmas card from her (we met in hospital, she didn't know I was jewish) and it finally clicked!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:41 pm
dmum--

it's gaelic. you have to know letter combinations to read gaelic properly.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:48 pm
Quote:
English people have a hard time travelling through Wales and Ireland (probably scotland too, though I've never made it there) because lots of places there have unpronouncable gaelic names. Eg Llanfairpwllgwyngychgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (apparantly a real place!) Llan is something like this: chlan.

Smile I just read about this place in the book "Flashback". I think its a railway station.

So how do you pronounce the number 40?
fawdy? fawty? or fawrrry?
fordy? or forty?

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:59 pm
embarrassed Fordy embarrassed
If I say it annunciating the "t", I sound like I'm saying "fourteen" Sad

yoyosma

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 5:09 pm
Now that we are talking about odd English names, what about Freha? How do you pronounce that one?
When I was younger I didnt know that Geoffrey and Jeffrey were pronounced the same way.
What about Van Heusen? I say it Van Hugh- sen, correct?

MahPitom

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 5:27 pm
imokay wrote:
not to ruin anyone's fun, but if youre really unsure, u can look up the word online and actually hear the correct pronunciation...
Last time I checked, dictionary.com will play the sound only if you are a member Rolling Eyes
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics